1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

List of unanimous 5-year supermax players (as of right now)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Jul 9, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Steph Curry just got the 5-year supermax deal. At his age and high level of play, I consider him a near unanimous supermax player. Same with Durant. But there are 30 teams. Are there really 30 unanimous "supermax-deserving" players???

My definition is this:
    Pretend that the player is available as an unrestricted free agent and could be signed to a 5-year supermax by all teams right now in a theoretical sense. A unanimous supermax player is one where all 30 teams offer the supermax without hesitation and 99% of fans concur without reservation.

Note that as you go down the list, it stops being "unanimous". It's just that you have to pay supermax because you are fighting for the leftovers (think Blake Griffin) and have to overpay.

Here is the list so far in no particular order. I will update as best I can based on feedback:
    1. LeBron James
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Stephen Curry
    4. Kawhi Leonard
    5. Russell Westbrook
    6. Anthony Davis
    7. James Harden
    8. Giannis Antetokounmpo
    9. Karl-Anthony Towns

Players under consideration (in no particular order):
    Kyrie Irving
    John Wall
    Paul George
    Nikola Jokic

#1 celebrevida, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are missing Harden, Westbrook, AD, Giannis.

Then I think it gets non-unanimous.

roslolian and Astrodome like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Steph would not be unanimous unless AD, Harden, WB, and Giannis are as well. Oh, and Lonzo Ball.

4. JHL85

JHL85 Member

cleverly disguised harden bashing thread?

5. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I don't know about Giannis. KAT might a better case for unanimous supermax.

6. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

My original list was not meant to be comprehensive. But I've decided to add or subtract from it based on poster consensus.

So Harden, Westbrook and Davis are in. I'm not sure about Giannis yet. KAT is more deserving based on actual performance vs potential.

#6 celebrevida, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. malakas

malakas Member

ehm there aren't 30 supermax players unanimous or not. To get the supermax Harden or Curry got you have to qualify for the DVPE.
    That immediately leaves out Lebron and Durant lol.
    Player has not to have been traded after his 4 first years, or leave the team that drafted him. Also has to qualify for all nba team, or MVP or first team all defence.

If you mean players that teams would be very happy to give them the supermax, then take out Butler and Cousins because their teams decided to trade them rather than pay them the DVPE.
    PG 13 and Hayward were players that their teams wanted to pay them but they didnt' qualify.
    Wall qualifies but hasn't signed it yet. So his team wants to pay him.
    Except from those you listed, I think AD, Giannis, Jokic , Wall, Lillard , PG would be players that most teams would be more than happy to tie them down with a DVPE extension if they qualify/ied.

8. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Yes I mean teams happy to give them the supermax if said player was a free agent now and could be signed for said supermax in a theoretical sense. In reality most of such players are not available for the supermax due to being under contract, don't have full Bird rights, etc.

And I mean unanimous as far as "deserving" of a supermax contract by nearly all teams and almost all fans of said teams.

Since everyone so far is saying Giannis, I'm just going to add him for now in the OP. Surprised no one other than myself has mention KAT as I think KAT > Giannis.

As for Jokic, Lillard and Hayward, I think that they are of the "Blake Griffin" or "Isaiah Thomas" variety of "leftover" supermax rather than unanimous, without hesitation, type supermax player. I'll await more feedback however.

Wall I could understand. Maybe I'll add him. As for Butler and Cousins. I think its safe to say neither are unanimous supermax and will never be added to the list.

#8 celebrevida, Jul 9, 2017
  9. malakas

malakas Member

I think there is a problem here that needs clarification. Age.

These players aren't at the same stage of their carreers. In your thread as OP, you meant teams giving the DPE if possible at this time?
    Because KAT, Jokic, Giannis are all 22 and under, and AD is 24.
    If a team pays them right now for 5 years they will get the best years of their prime and even will be more years of prime left.

Griffin on the other hand has been ravaged by injuries. But two years ago he finished top 5 in MVP voting and rightfully so.

So had it been Griffin age 22 or 23 all the teams would unanimously pay him the supermax. The contract would end by the age of 27 or 28.

10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I mean the players as they are right this very moment in terms of age, skills, health, etc. I've edited the title to add (as of right now) to clarify.

malakas likes this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

ok then. Then my answer for unanimously giving 40 mil a year if they can tie them up through age 28 for the young ones is:
    AD, Kat, Porzingis, Giannis, Jokic, Booker, Curry, Harden, Durant, Gobert, Wall, Kyrie, Kawhi, Westbrook, PG13 and Lillard.

I do not like Booker much and yet if they could tie him up till age 28 I believe they would pay him. At worst he would be overpaid. An overpayment of a young player who has the chance to become a superstar during the length of the contract is a better worth of your money than having some more millions to spend on roleplayers.
    The only reason I don't include Embiid is health but in a perfect world with no injuries add him as well.
    I can't have an opinion on rookies I haven't seen play yet in the NBA.

12. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

AD is not unanimous, d-bag.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think your list is too large. KAT, Porzingis, Jokic, Booker, Gobert, Wall, Lillard are far from unanimous IMO.

14. malakas

malakas Member

well it's the timing. That's why I included Booker (who for example I dont see as a surefire superstar).
    In this scenario any team has full capspace and no roster and the abillity to pay a supermax. Other than MVP candidates, there is no better use of it, than on an upcoming young player who has the potential to be a superstar and you can tie up for 5-7 years. You get most of their prime years. It's most worth of your money.
    Every team would rather have one Booker than two Ryan Andersons or two Harrison Barne or two Otto Porters..
    As for Jokic, KAT, Gobert they most probably will qualify for the DVPE. They are years away from their prime. Especially Jokic there are a good chunk of analysts that believe he's already a top 15 player.
    Wall has already qualified and is only 26.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Paul George is under consideration? That's ridiculous

16. MystikArkitect

Lebron, Kawhi, Westbrook, Harden, Curry and Durant are the only super max level players (lol Presti). To me, a super max player is capable of turning a 20 win squad into a 45-50 win squad by mere presence alone.

Giannis and AD aren't there yet.

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

So if the criteria is UNANIMOUS then,

LeBron: Yes.

Durant: Yes.

Harden: Yes.

Kawhi: Yes.

That's it there nobody else who gets the unanimous supermax.

Curry: No. Haven't seen him carry a team without Thompson and Green. Steph may deserve the supermax in Golden State where he is a perfect fit, but I don't see him able to do anything with say the Brooklyn Nets.

Westbrook: No. Too many fan bases don't want his style of play and stat padding including this one.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The Supermax is meant to be a benefit only to the team who drafted the player, or first signed an undrafted player. However, it does carry over in a trade within the first 4yrs to the second team ... see Harden.

So, Paul George no longer qualifies for the Supermax, since he got traded after 4 years.

Ozzy likes this.
  19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't know if this correlates to being a super max player, but imo there are 6 superstars who a championship team can be built around.

-Lebron James
    -Kevin Durant
    -Steph Curry
    -James Harden
    -Russel Westbrook
    -Kawai Leonard

Those should all be unanimous

#19 rhino17, Jul 9, 2017
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

minor point to my above post about Paul George regarding trades after 4yrs eliminating ability to get "Supermax":

The Supermax is a way to get a next-tier max contract before you normally could under years-in-the-league, tenure reasons. (If you meet performance criteria, You can get 30% max before you have 7yrs tenure and you can get 35% before 10 yrs.). Lebron and Durant have both played 10yrs, so they qualify for 35% max based on tenure. So, really it's just a question of are they still worth their tenured max. Obviously, yes.