1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Linsanity the Movie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 16, 2013.

1. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Now you're resorting to Ad hominem attacks I see. Do you agree with what I wrote then?

2. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

What have you done to help Asian actors get more roles in American movies? If you don't do anything about it. does that mean you have self hate?

3. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

It's not about what the average American thinks. The average American will go see an Asian-themed movie that stars Asians and Asian-Americans if the movie is good.

And lots of talented Asian-Americans do want to be actors/actresses and have tried for years to make it in the business. I've known some personally.

This is about Hollywood and its racist view of Asians and Asian-Americans in general. Hollywood generally won't fund Asian-themed projects that star Asian and Asian-Americans in lead roles. Just a basic fact. Hollywood is racist.

4. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

You're comparing apples to oranges. Popular American culture is used/watched everywhere in the world. Russians watch american movies and tv shows. Does that make them less racist too?

Those countries are probably 95% one race. China isn't going to produce an original movie with only white people in it and expect it to be popular.

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

You seem like the type that complains a lot on forums but don't really do anything about it in real life.

6. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

So just another 400 years before asians in America are as many as blacks and hispanics. In the meantime being a minority sucks.

1 person likes this.
  7. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Why should they fund a movie that isn't going to make money? They cater to popular american culture. Black actors start their own production companies to fund the type of movies they want to make.

8. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

See, straw-man argument, since you can't argue logically. I didn't say that you need to get Asian actors more roles = pride. I said standing up to inequality is a indication of pride.

Your actions can be as simple as boycotting movies where Asians have demeaning roles, spreading the word to other Asians, or watching more film with Asians in leading roles - to show support so that people in marketing, like YaoMac09 realize there is a demographic out there that accept Asians.

You can go even further like volunteering your time, donating funds and such. (I've done both, since you've asked)

So what's your point? Are you denying that racism doesn't exist? Are you advocating inaction? YaoMac09 basically acknowledged that racism exists, that's why he makes the decisions he does.

9. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Except it doesn't.

10. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

How about billboards then? Or how do you explain the plastic surgery that Asians have to have double-eyelid surgery?

11. munco

munco Member

Spoken like a true self-hating asian. You have no pride in your background. In fact you sound like someone that hates his own race.
    Are you adopted? Do you have asian friends?

12. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Like I said, you can't win on logic, so you resort to Ad hominem attacks.

13. munco

munco Member

Bingo.

14. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Of course there is, but what does this have to do with anything? Like I said, when it is appropriate to hire an Asian I will, often I am instructed to hire Asians, are you upset over this?

Of course racism exists, but you don't have to let it affect you in this day and age.

15. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Unfortunately, there are a lot of self-hating Asians, even if they do have Asian friends. Hell, a lot of Asian Americans thought Jeremy Lin sucked until he blew up in New York. I even had a friend from HK that argued that Asians have a harder time developing pectoral muscles - because they were Asian. (!)

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The thing is, I don't give a damn about my background. I have pride in things I have achieved; why would I have "pride" over something as silly as where my parents came from?

Your life will be much better once you take a breath and stop acting like you have a chip on your shoulder just because you are Asian.

How about this, the next time I am told to hire an Asian over a Caucasian, I will celebrate and do a little dance? Asian pride FTW :rolleyes:

17. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Some people let it effect them while others don't. Just because it exist, doesn't mean it's not possible to succeed, there are plenty of Asian role models out there that have made it. I don't know how it turns into you being a self hating Asian or anything o_O.

18. munco

munco Member

You said you only will hire an asian if told to hire one. I imagine if you never would hire one otherwise based on some of these other gems you've said in this thread...
    "Name 5 good Asian/Asian American actors."
    "Why would they unless it is a kung-fu action comedy/comedy film or something though? It makes zero sense"

At least the other self-hating asians I've met in my lifetime realize it. You buddy are a character.

19. Trackball

Trackball Member

...Wasn't this thread about a Jeremy Lin documentary...?

20. munco

munco Member

You are your background whether or not you want to believe it. I don't have a chip on my shoulder because I'm asian. On the other hand it's hard to respect someone that's a racist or in this case someone that's against his own culture.

Well, the next time you hire an asian guy it'll be because you're ordered to as you stated earlier. So save the dance Uncle Ruckus.