1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Lineup's and Plays for 2002-03 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by F.D. Khan, Jul 2, 2002.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Well Guys, with the Steve signing we are going to be at the Luxury Tax break point, so I don't see us making many changes that will affect our main players.

I see the team basically being:

Ming Cato Collier
    Griffin MoTay KT
    Nachbar Rice Morris
    Cat Torres
    Francis Mooch (Brown or Tito)

With Probably Collier and Morris/Torres/Tito on the IR

Though the first of the year will probably have a linup of
    Cato, KT, Rice, Cat, Francis because of Rudy's "you can't lose
    your starting position to injury" ideology.

What kind of plays do you see us running??

An Eventual Lineup of the Future I think is:

Ming, Griffin, Nachbar, Cat, Francis

Imagine with this line-up we have 5 players that can hit from anywhere on the floor. In Ming's game this morning he hit
    3 for 3 from 3-Point Land and yesterday shot 10-12 from the floor.

Ming's high percentage probably means that he does not force in shots, but like most international teams, passes until a good shot is created. If he shot 10-12 and they lost yesterday to Italy, I would truly want him to shoot more. Walton has remarked about his ability to throw the outlet pass, which I think could really fuel our fast breaks.

I think one of our main problems with our fast breaks last year, were mainly because Francis and Cat couldn't run because they were rebounding as well. I think with Griffin maturing and Ming in the middle, our guards can be confident enough to streak down the court, and not worry about butter-fingers Cato, Undersized KT or (hanging out at the free throw line though i'm 6'9 and 260# MoTaylor). Griffin is a natural rebounder and in his first year in college averaged double digit rebounds. THe more minutes Griffin gets the more I see him maturing.

Having a frontline of Ming and Griffin truly can make up for the defensive lapses of Francis, Cat and Nachbar. It will also allow them to gamble on steals, with their knowledge of who they have to back them up. I don't think Ming is an explosive leaper that will have that spring in his legs to do multiple blocks, but at his size, he could block one or two a game by accident. The true shotblocker is Griffin. I feel that with Ming at his size in the middle, Griffin will excel in his weak side shot-blocking ala Robert Horry, with many weary of taking it in against an almost 10 foot wingspan of Yao.

Guard penetration was a problem for the Rockets last year and most swingmen ala Iverson, Vince, Kobe etc had a field day with the rockets, but this should change almost instantly with our twin towers in the middle.

Most teams in the league don't have a strong postup player in both the Center AND Power Forward Positions which will allow Griffin and Ming to help each other on strong forwards/Centers such as the Malone's, Shaq's and Duncan's out there. Sacramento may be the only team with Vlade and Webber that can each effectively post up.
    They both lack significant bulk, which may allow them to get pushed around in the paint, but if they learn to play cohesively like how Duncan and Robinson played Shaq in 99. Robinson would guard Shaq and then Duncan would be there to help, double or block the shot from the Weakside. I see this combination of Griffin and Ming using this form of defense to handle the big boys out west.

Offense is just not going to be a problem for this team. We have 6 or 7 players that could easily have 20 point games, the only concept that must be forced is the team one. If Mobley is doubled, he has to pass it around. We have too many offensive weapons, and Francis and Mobley need to understand if they pass out of the double team well, then the next time they will probably not be doubled, allowing them more opportunities and hopefully allow them to increase their dwindling FG%.

Comments?

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Tito will make the 12 man roster and Brown on the 3-man inactive list.

3. tozai

tozai Member

Excellent post. There's not much to comment on, I agree with it all...

ron413--I hope so...I'd rather have Tito and Brown than Tito/Brown and COLLIER...

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Very good Khan. I like the fact that you realize that this team does not need Lewis or Odom. In fact if we have a relatively injury free season, we could complete for our division.

Last year our fg% was poor and there are many reasons why that should improve including better rebounding, better defense, more fast breaks and high percentage shots. No player should play more that 30 mins per game. Only Francis and Mobley should play that much. Everybody else should get no more than 24 mins. This should ensure a long rotation, allow more aggressive defensive and offensive philosophy. It should reduce the risk of injury and our ability to survive injuries.

Here is the kicker! I want Rudy to decide to dominate Shaq this year. Literally go after him in a big way. With our centers of Cato, Ming, and Collier to go up against Shaq, Rudy should go after him. Just like Brad Miller did, I would put our guys on him and make him play defense. Bring him out. The objective should be to match his scoring, and out rebound him. Make the little things count, like instructing our guys to bet him up and down the floor on every possession. And on defense have MoT and EG help out to prevent the usual early pass into Shaq in the paint. On offense our guys should attempt to do the same to him and cause him to foul and take a few more body blows. When we are going to play the Lakers, Collier should not be on the IR, unless he is really injured. I certainly prefer doing that instead of just sitting back and letting him get his points and do what the hell he wants to do in the paint.

When this season starts Dr. Jack must not be able to say we are empty or small, up front.