1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Fighton

Fighton Member

i thought he made a pretty good case playing 82 games as the starter last year, avg. 13 and 6, and contributed 3rd most wins on the team to help make the playoffs.

but hey, it's the coaches decisions, and mchale has every right to go with whoever he wants to play. that's totally his call to make and as a player, you accept it and lin has. but let's not act like it's a decision as clear as day. it's not. bev had some stinkers early in the year as the starter, and lin had some tremendous games last year AND this year as the starter, even just two weeks ago. it was never a competition to begin with. it has always been a coaches decisions and they're sticking by it, and they should. if they want any amount of consistency, they need to stick with what they believe in.

on any team, the coaches are going to have their favorite and that's totally fine. lin just has to accept the fact that he can't change how mchale plays him no matter what he does, so he just needs to go out there and say screw it, i'm going to play my style of bball with the minutes that i have and if i never get another minute, so be it.

he's always had coaches that entrusted a lot to him throughout his career (minus golden state days) and he thrives on that. but he also needs to learn that he can't depend on his coaches to give him the confidence that he needs - he needs to get that from himself. you're not always going to have coaches that you like, but you're always going to play your game.

2. archinkent

archinkent Member

And did you conveniently make that up? :rolleyes: I went back to the game and filtered Lillard points. He scored 4 points with Lin guarding and 8 points with Bev guarding. The rest were on other players in transition and FTs.

3. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

what's so silly about this? there is a huge drop off when he comes in. if you expect lin to produce off the bench, you have to have good bench players while he's in.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Good, I like stats.

While you are being a stat guru, can you please help me out to check how did D-MO picked up his 3rd foul in the early stage and how did D12 got his fouls in the second half to put the Rockets in a bad situation?

Thanks.

5. Fighton

Fighton Member

hahahaha... probably the first and last time seeing lin and vince young mentioned together in the same post. nicely done.

and just to troll, look how effective young was with a coach (mack) that trusts him and plays him to his strength! that 4th down play in the rose bowl still makes me sick to my stomach...

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

High quality post!

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's silly because some of you guys have an opinion, then you cherry pick things to build an argument behind that opinion, and a lot of times the arguments are in conflict.

8. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Lol,

Cus Lin was a step too slow and led his opponent blow by him?

Or was he trying to funnel his opponent to his help defense?

Not sure

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree - I preached patience with Lin and well Lin has had his chance. He really disappointed this past month and it's hard to come up with excuses for him. I mean, he was averaging 35+ minutes a game.

It seems to me that since he came back from the knee injury he has been a lot more tentative - but geez, you can't be knocked off your stride everytime you miss a few weeks.

He just doesn't have it in my opinion. He has these stretches where is confidence is high and he plays great - but those are too far and few in between.

Lin is a back-up. He's better than brooks, but his place as a back-up is also tenuous unless he really starts adding a lot more value.

10. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

i..... shred .... LOF .... card :( :( :( .... naaahhhh... I still enjoy watching Lin even off the bench or whatever .... :)

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm not even irritated looking at some of these delusional posts. Beverly is back and the rockets are much better for it. The tears can flow all they want.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I'm happy for both. Lin played better overall, but Bev had his moments.

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

playing inconsistently = had moments/flashes

14. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

It's amazing how one game can change the perception so much. Not long ago Lin was amazing playing Spurs, and Bev was missing shots all over the place.

15. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I share exact same thoughts on Lin. But because I have a new join date, I have been accused of being an LOF by other veterans and trolls. It all comes down to Lin's own abililty, and IMO his "mental fortitude". Whether the coach showed confidence in him or not, he still had chances to show what he was capable of. And he did, but it was inconsistent unfortunately. Pat Bev definitely showed he earned teh starting job. But in your opinion, lets say Lin kept up his really great play and it was showing more consistent so far this season, do you really think Mchale still would have started Lin? I doubt it.

16. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Lin is 12-6 as a starter. Got the team through a tough stretch of the schedule with some nice wins. Saved the team in November when Harden was hobbled and Howard was adjusting. Rockets fans can dream on about Beverley being the solution at the point but reality will set in soon. There is no primary skill that he does exceptionally well. He's just a good athlete who hustles but is undersized. It's unusual that a guy who is not considered a core or star player gets so much blame for losses and so little credit for wins, yet zlin gets a lot of scrutiny from the fans and little credit from the coaching staff. Normally, it's the stars that should take the heat or the credit.