1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Letting friend take over car note

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Boz, Oct 27, 2014.

1. The Boz

The Boz Member

Need advice please. I have a vehicle I no longer need. My friend needs vehicle. He just bought a house, so he can't finance a vehicle at this time. He wants to take my vehicle and pay me the monthly payments. I am okay with that, because if he defaults on me I can take vehicle back and have a win on the payments he made.

My question is about insurance. Finance company requires vehicle to be fully covered and state law requires liability. Do I keep paying insurance and charge him? If not, will the finance company be okay with him getting insurance coverage on the vehicle?

One more thing. Should I make some kind of written contract with friend? Payoff of vehicle is about 20k.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't get why he can't finance a vehicle just because he bought a house.

Yes, get a contract.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Explain how this is so, like Mr. Clutch and I are wondering as to how you know this for a fact.
    How do you know you will have a win? If he defaults YOU will have to make the payments.
    I think that you will be liable for him or any damage he incurs as an "uninsured driver" because the car and insurance policy are under your name. Think of the worst of scenarios... what if he commits a crime with your car or crashes into someone on purpose? Legally, you're the one that will have to pay.

Or I'd like to hear someone with insurance agency experience clear this up.
    Yes. :eek:

Lastly, why don't you need a car anymore? It's a HUGE city. Please don't tell me that everything is within a block from you or within the train's ride.

Anyway, I've never heard of anyone taking over someone else's payments end well, much less WITHOUT a contract. You'll be risking losing a friend all over doing "a financial favor" y'all both can't cover.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Don't be a fool

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're committing fraud to your lenders, though; I'm just wondering if you'd be able to enforce a contract agreeing to an illegal transaction.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pretty much this.

A vehicle can not have overlapping insurance. If your friend had his own insurance policy, you might be better off. However since he does not have a car, he can't have his own policy. He can probably get some third party insurance, however the state will still require you to have the car insured under your name.

Just avoid the mess altogether and go buy him a jalopy.

7. Mr. Clutch

Why is it fraud to the lenders? He'll still make the payments then receive payments from his friend. If his friend stops paying he still makes the payments anyways.

Anyways, he should just sell his car to his friend.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

He normally canr insure it himself. He has to have an insurable interest in the car which he doesnt have.

9. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just don't do it. If he just bought a house his credit should be good enough to buy a car.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This isn't going to end well

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

http://budgeting.thenest.com/can-someone-over-payments-financed-vehicle-24578.html

12. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he may not be eligible for the same rate your getting, so in that sense it's fraud.

i'd only do this if you wouldn't mind losing this friendship. things like this tend to not end well.

13. The Boz

The Boz Member

I knew all the "don't do it" comments were coming. That was a given. My main question was about the insurance. To answer some of your questions.

Friends income to debt ratio will not let him finance car because of the new house payment.

I needed vehicle for job. Bought vehicle. Company paid me monthly allowance. I quit after six months. New job provides vehicle I drive as my own. Now I can't afford vehicle I bought. Upside down on loan. Payoff is 25k, value is 22k.

Friend has vehicle that is fully insured. He wants mine also.

14. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I would go with NO. What if he runs into someone with your car and jacks them up then what happens? say worst case involuntary manslaughter.

Anything I don't need like a second car, I usually just sell and take the cash, liquid asset and less liability..also no extra insurance, registration etc.

15. Mr. Clutch

You want this guy who has too much debt to now be responsible for payments to you?

Seems risky. I would just try to sell the car for as much as possible.

By the way, apparently there are sites for this. You should check them out. http://www.takeoverpayment.com/

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What could possibly go wrong?

17. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Just find a new buyer that gets a bank approved loan for the remainder balance of the note and sell to him. boom problem solved

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This! Don't do it bro

19. The Boz

The Boz Member

Easier said than done. Who wants to pay 25k for a 22k truck?

I am afraid of having the truck repossessed and ruining my credit. I am aware of all the bad things that can go wrong if I do this. Just trying to save my credit.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What kind of vehicle is it?