1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk PG's... now and the future

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Honey Bear, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Greatness in the NBA positional carousel has fully come round. After a couple decades filled with great big men and wing players, we're now in an era with an abundance of very good PG's. I'd like to systematically analyze most of these guys and see where their future lies.

How many of these PG's are natural playmakers? Who is overrated when it comes to contributing to wins? Who do you see improving the most over the next 5 years (compared to where they are now)?

Proven top notch, followed by immense talent:

Deron Williams
    Chris Paul
    Chauncey Billups
    Rajon Rondo
    Tony Parker

Derek Rose
    Aaron Brooks
    Stephen Curry
    Russell Westbrook
    Brandon Jennings

* I'm classifying Monta Ellis and Tyreke Evans as 2 guards.

Oldies:
    How much longer can they stay relevant

Steve Nash (Phoenix)
    Jason Kidd (Dallas)
    Baron Davis (LA Clippers)

On the bubble youngsters:
    Which way do you see these guys going? What signs of potential have they shown to differentiate themselves from being mediocre?

Darren Collison (New Orleans)
    Jonny Flynn (Minnesota)
    Mike Conley (Memphis)
    Jerryd Bayless (Portland)
    Ricky Rubio (Minnesota)
    Louis Williams (Philadelphia)
    John Wall (undrafted]

On the bubble vets
    What's holding them back from taking the next step?

Rodney Stuckey (Detroit, doesn't distribute enough)
    Devin Harris (New Jersey, <40% FG, terrible win %, demotion deserved)
    Gilbert Arenas (Washington, even when he puts up stats, different player than pre injury)
    Raymond Felton (Charlotte)
    Jose Calderon (Toronto)
    Jarrett Jack (Toronto)
    Jameer Nelson (Orlando)

Niche PG's
    It is what it is

Andre Miller (Portland)
    Mo Williams (Cleveland)
    Jamal Crawford (Atlanta)

Juan Barea (Dallas)
    Nate Robinson (Boston)
    Mario Chalmers (Miami, scrub)
    Carlos Arroyo (Miami, scrub)
    Earl Watson (Indiana)
    Mike Bibby (irrelevant)

Backups:
    Who can be a GOOD starter, potential for consistency

Ty Lawson (Denver)
    Goran Dragic (Phoenix)
    Jrue Holiday (Philadelphia)
    Steve Blake (LA Clippers)
    DJ Augustin (Charlotte)
    Jordan Farmar (LA Lakers)
    Sergio Rodriguez (New York)
    Toney Douglas (New York)
    Will Bynum (Detroit)
    Kyle Lowry (Houston)
    George Hill (San Antonio)
    TJ Ford (Indiana)

Teams who aren't set/above average at PG:

LA Lakers
    Memphis

Atlanta (especially with loss of JJ to NY imminent)
    Indiana
    Miami
    New York
    Washington (Arenas is a wildcard)

That's only 7 teams!

2 people like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

jennings has shot 40% for the season. I think he is overrated and curry is a 2 guard as you already said.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You forgot to mention Beno Udrih as a decent vet. He's had vast improvements in efficiency this year. Shooting 49% from the field and 38% from 3P while cutting turnovers down

4. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Steph Curry is not better than Westbrook.

5. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Give me Westbrook any day of the week. That guy is gonna be great and he is already good.

6. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Rose>Parker

7. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Jennings is 20 years old and has a ways to go before he finds his niche in the league. Even though he's cooled off, Milwaukee is performing very well. He's very intuitive and quick, and that keeps defenses backpedaling. For comparison sakes - Aaron Brooks is just quick, he doesn't have a feel for the court and an ability to find his teammates the the way Jennings does.

I left him off the list as an irrelevant (similar to Mike Bibby, just didn't type it up). I haven't forgotten that playoff series with the Spurs where he couldn't even bring the ball up the court. IMO he's getting playing time because he's on the Kings, and that too he's averaging 13 and 4.5 on a very bad team. Although his efficiency and AST/TO ratio have vastly improved this year... maybe his pasty white skin made me write him off too early.

The lists aren't in order. I don't believe in flat out ranking PG's who have a lot of talent but have barely been in the league or have little to no playoff experience. But you can group them together, and that's what I attempted to do.

Not based on accomplishments. Being a Finals MVP means you need more than 1 or 2 injury prone seasons before you can be written off as a top notch player. Especially when you averaged 22 and 7 shooting over 50% a year ago.

8. Mr. Space City

jennings may not be efficient worth a damn but he can run a team and plays good defense for a rookie.

if he can work on his jumper in the off-season he is gonna be something to watch for the future.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

While Atlanta and Washington are not exactly set at PG. I do not think they are looking to acquire a PG. Arenas/Bibby can still play and are both earning good money over the next few years.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree with all that you said, good breakdown of the pgs in the league

11. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I think George Hill and Kyle Lowry are backups that can be good/very good starters in the league.

Darren Collison has also really impressed me, my guess is that New Orleans might cash in on his success and maybe trade him while his stock is high.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Jrue Holiday has been starting in Philly for like the last month. Even when Lou Williams was healthy he was starting.

Not sure about his game I know they said he surprisingly is shooting good from 3.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Andre Miller has almost always been very underrated...

I also think Jrue Holiday and Darren Collison could very well be better players than Brandon Jennings or Stephen Curry when it is all said and done.

14. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Why is it that you don't include Billups with Nash and Kidd? He's 33. And why the heck is Jamal Crawford on this list??? You said you didn't include Evans and Ellis because they are sg's, so why put Crawford on there?

15. ommy48

ommy48 Member

what a dumb statement made by someone who is either blind or who knows nothing about what Curry has done all year....every analyst and GSW fan knows that Curry is beyond a doubt a PG and has proven that by the way he has run the team ever since he took over the reins in December and got big minutes.

16. Lovemachine2000

Nice breakdown.

Here's a random thought: I actually think that Aaron Brooks would be a great fit for the Lakers' offense. Much of LA's offense runs though Kobe, so Aaron doesn't have to be a prototypical PG, and his exceptional three-point shooting will shine in the system. His fresh young legs will also be a desirable replacement for the aging Fisher.

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Jameer Nelson only plays 28.5 minutes a game. That is kinda odd....I guess Jason "White Chocolate" Williams still has plenty in the tank.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That is very debatable to say the least. Steph Curry is a much better shooter than Westbrook and Curry's assist numbers aren't that bad for a rookie and are actually better than Westbrook's in his rookie year last year.

19. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm wondering the same thing.

20. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

How about Collison from New Orleans? The guy has been AMAZING.