1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk Aggie BBall (sigh)

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Ziggy, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Agggies are VERY inconsistent this season. We kicked TECH's ASS...BIG TIME.....but then come with 10pts against the sooners.....

Sad, but this pretty much sums up the Aggies season. Inconsistency.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sloan can't play point. But its Turgeon's offense that exposes him for his weaknesses. Inexcusable for Turgeon to struggle so much at utilizing Sloan where he excels. Turgeon will find a way to make Dash Harris look like trash too don't worry. Stop making excuses for the problem. Free throws are the only thing Turgeon can't be blamed for.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

You obviously have no objectivity to make a statement like that. You are blinded by your hatred for Turgeon (or more likely your love for Billy G).

By the way, who on this team can play point'?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This isn't about BCG. Its about Turgeon. I have calmed down considerably since yesterday. But I still feel like Turgeon is in over his head. You guys are right. We have no point. Its true the NCAA is all about guard play, particularly the point. But IMO its still no excuse for some of these losses.

We beat teams by 20+ only to lose to those same teams by 20+, to me, thats coaching. We score less than 20 in the 1st half on a regular basis it feels like, to me, thats coaching. Get away from the motion. Rip up the playbook. Find something that doesn't expose our players for their shortcomings. I would put the ball in Kirk's hands. He can't penetrate like Sloan but at least he isn't a turnover or missed shot waiting to happen. The pace would be slower, we can work the post, and the 3's would come in a more familiar rhythm. And the defensive intensity that put us on the map is just a shell of what it was. By the time Kirk and Jones leave it will be even worse. And this is what the offense looks like?

There are teams playing better basketball with worse PG situations than what we have. Losing coupled with inconsistency and just flat out uninspiring efforts at home is on Turgeon.

I do hate him.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Your ramble (I would call it a post, but it has no thought behind it) is internally inconsistent. You say that the NCAA is all about guard play. You say we have no PG, but then turn around and say it's all Turgeon's fault. That is beyond weak.

I think you are really underestimating what Acie Law was to this team. He was able to distribute the ball into the post, and Sloan obviously can't. Kirk is not a good distributor either, so that is not an answer. You can't have a really good NCAA team without having guards that play consistently. Our don't. That is why you see the disparity in scores. Look at the box scores. When our guards hit their shots, it opens up the post and we win. When they don't, we lose. It is that simple.

Turgeon (or any other coach) cannot make their players play as though they are better than what they are. Are some changes to the playbook in order? Sure. Is that going to make us a sweet 16 team? Don't bet on it.

You act as though BCG (or another coach) could make Law to Sloan a seamless transition. That is just silly. Law was a great distributor and a hell of a defensive player in college. Moreover...we was a leader. That is something that we lack.

Our big player this year is DJ. He is talented, but raw, and unfortunately has been reading too much of his own press. It has been said that he is almost uncoachable.

If you take the simple way out and blame the coach every time there is adversity, you'll be going through a lot of coaches very quickly. You bring in a new coach, you get a new system. That takes a period of adjustment and getting players who are good in that system.

I am sorry that your boyfriend BCG wanted to go to KU, but that's life. You have to give Turgeon a chance to succeed. If you start firing coaches all the time, nobody will want the job.

Either you can support the team, or you can b!tch all day. Highway 6 runs both ways.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You keep supporting Turgeon but give no reason as to why. Tell me. What has Turgeon done? Any positives? What has he brought to the table?

7. Refman

Show me one time in this thread where I have indicated that I think Turgeon is the greatest thing since bottled beer? I never have.

I think that judging a coach long term based on 29 games is stupid. This is especially true with key personnel from last year's run gone.

I think that declaring that a "decent" coach would have this team is the sweet 16 may not be the dumbest thing I have ever read...but it's a short roll call ahead of it.

8. ths balla

ths balla Member

sorry refman but i got to go with ziggy on this one, this team is way too talented to come out and play so inconsistantly, especially on the road. When you beat teams by 20 and then lose to them by the same amount that is coaching. The defense intensity is also a total 180 from last season when we were one of the top teams in the league in steals to becoming one of the last because turgeon already said he doesnt like to play overly aggresive and go for the steal but to just keep our man in front of us which we cant even do.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Thanks for the support ths. Your expectations are simply too low refman. I am saying Turgeon is bad and I have given reasons. If you won't supply any defense for Turgeon then stop rebutting. He is a bad coach now. He will be a bad coach next year. TAMU will be the last program he touches in a power conference.

10. Refman

OK...you can judge a coach on 29 ball games. :rolleyes:

I have given other reasons why this team has not achieved like they did last year. You just ignore them. We lost two key components to the puzzle, and replaced them with ones that are not nearly as good.

You just want to fire a coach after one season. Good way to run the program totally into the ground. No good coaches will want to be at a school that fires a coach after one season. No good recruits will want to come here if there is no assurance that their coach will remain next year.

You'd be the best AD since...I don't know...Wally Groff. :rolleyes:

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I never said fire the guy. Not once. I said I would be forced to deal with this for the next 3 seasons. Thats why I am upset. Because we made a poor coaching hire. I realize he gets a fair shot to showcase himself. Thats why I its so painful for me. Yup 29 games, I have had enough. He hasn't added a single positive thing to this program. Something good coaches do before the 1st game is even played.

12. Refman

As long as you understand that he (or any other coach) needs a chance before cutting them loose. Turgeon has his problems, and needs to improve next year over this year. If not, then I start to agree with you. If the season after that is problematic also, then serious thought needs to be given to going a different direction.

13. aggie87

aggie87 Member

I apologize for the post about wanting Turge fired....I was extremely frustrated with our embarrassing performance....I have seen Deandre play and I agree he is a little raw, but a guy like BCG would have made him into another Dwight Howard....you cant hide the fact that Turge hasn't done a good job with Deandre

14. Refman

Deandre has been disappointing, and maybe Turge could have done better with him. It does look like Deandre is one of those guys who has read too much of his own press. I am not sure how coachable he is.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

D. Jordan=K. Cato
    Jordan's play isn't a big deal for me. Davis, Jones, Jordan, is still one of the top 3 post rotations in college basketball. The fact that Jones' play has suffered makes Turgeon look bad but I can't really say for sure. Davis, Jones, Jordan is as good as AK, JJ, and a young Davis. Most people loved AK but I always felt he didn't show up on the boards during big games. Post game IMO is as solid as ever (talent wise) despite Jordan's shortcomings.

16. RocketManJosh

In all fairness, how good was Dwight Howard after 35 games, or better yet, Andrew Bynum? Those guys were allowed to practice a lot more than DeAndre as well. DeAndre is not the problem with this team, though he is too young to be the savior.

The problem is plain and simple. No PG. We can't get the ball inside effectively. We pass the ball back and forth on top of the perimeter till the shotclock runs down. There is no leader on the floor directing things, and sorry, but Turge can't do that from the bench.

I'll agree with many that Turge is on notice, and he better win in the next couple years, but I've not seen enough to say he is a terrible coach and it is all his fault. I'll give him a chance to build his team with "his" players and evaluate him after that. Anything else is unfair IMO.

17. Refman

Bingo.

Well said.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Bynum and Howard played in the NBA. Wouldn't a more accurate comparison be towards Oden, Love, Beasley, Ewing, etc?

19. Refman

You have to remember also that this is the first year where Jones has played PF. He was our center before. He looks lost a lot of times, and I think that is because he is not comfortable playing PF. Turgeon's problem becomes benching both Davis and Jordan to allow Jones (undersized) to play center.

That is not a decision that would be smart.

Hell...Jones is so uncomfortable most games that he can't keep his lunch down. (ugh)

We are still a bubble team. Hopefully we can play well and get in. Gig 'em.

20. RocketManJosh

Do you honestly see Love and Beasley as being similar types of players as DeAndre going into college? Those guys games were waaaay more polished going in.

Bynum and Howard have styles that are much closer to the style of DeAndre than any of the others that you named.