1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about potential replacements for McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Nov 17, 2013.

1. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Note that I don't want him to be fired this season (and I don't think that he will). However, his contract is up after this season and I find it incredibly unlikely that he will be renewed. So who will be available?

Not going to happen
    1. Phil Jackson- He's recovering from cancer, he's old, he's wedded (literally and figuratively) to the Lakers organization. Nope.
    2. Jerry Sloan- He's 71, has a HoF legacy, tons of money. No reason to come out of retirement.

Possible but unlikely
    1. Jeff Van Gundy- He likes the Rockets organization and is friendly with Morey, but he's also got an extremely easy and profitable gig with ESPN.
    2. Stan Van Gundy- He's stated he doesn't want to coach right now and obviously there's the "Dwight tried to fire him" thing. Still, he's said he loved coaching Dwight, and he made lots of very supportive statements about him over the summer. Apparently they were in contact a ton and he told Dwight that Houston would be a good fit.
    3. Rick Adelman- Contingent on him being let go if the TWolves miss the playoffs again. Seems unlikely so far.

Should be available
    1. Lionel Hollins
    2. George Karl

My personal preference would be SVG, but I don't see it happening. George Karl seems like the best bet among realistic options. I do know that I really, really don't want an assistant coach hire unless it's a can't miss prospect. I want a proven coach with a long tenure. Karl fits the bill there.

Did I miss anyone important?

2. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

One thing I should have added to the OP: Karl is very friendly towards Morey type analytics and also adheres to the "rim+ 3s" playstyle.

3. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

Let's talk about potential replacements for LelWestbrick...

4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

5. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

clever

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

great list and honest rankings. i'd like to add nate mcmillan to the list. if the blazers weren't forced to rebuild after roy went down he could've done something special there. hollins and karl were fired because the teams knew they were in cost saving mode and went with cheaper options. karl had 10 straight years of winning records with denver. hollins is something special too.

since mchale did such a great job last year, i think its too early in this season to judge. heres what i predict for how the team will treat mchale.

1) first round loss or worse and he's fired as soon as the season ends. dwight only has 4-5 years until he's not dwight anymore. we can't waste those years getting it together.
    2) second round loss and he's on the hot seat next yea where the same rules will apply.
    3) WCF or better and he's fine.

that being said, dwight was excited to play for mchale, but we need to win in the next few years. Karl, hollins, and mcmillan are out there. the later two are assistant head coaches right now which means if les is willing to pony up (which he is if it means a championship), we can have Karl AND hollins or mcmillan under his wing until he retires (since karl is getting up there in age and down there in health).

not getting karl because mchale is serviceable is like not signing dwight because you have asik. see what i did there? yes the change will cause some problems initially but we will be better off for it.

7. FOBolous

FOBolous Member

Phil Jackson - best coach in the NBA
    JVG - defense oriented (our weekness), experience coaching two elite centers
    Sloan - PnR master. Harden/Lin + Dwight Howard = Stockton and Malone v2.0?
    George Karl -COY

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

McHale is nowhere near the pedigree of those mentioned. He was ok when we were rebuilding but now that we have potential championship in mind, he needs to take his incompetent self elsewhere.

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Exactly my toughts. Im a big fan of McMillan, dude is on par with Thibodeau just less defensive minded. He was on my wishlist before McHale. I am willing to give McHale a chance, he has now most of the pieces in place, but he needs to push for what works and not be stubborn like the TwinTower debacle (partly Murreys fault) or playing Harden when he cant hit anything on a particular night, or not calling timeouts or fauls At the right time. We'll see, still way too early.

10. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

No jvg. He will focus on the weakest aspect of this team, defense. You play to the strength of your players.

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can Hollins make Howard have the offensive intangibles of Randolph and Gasol? If so, sign me up.

12. Chris Jent MVP

Morey only sees coaches as +/- 4 games or so... he doesn't really care.

As long as McHale doesn't make Les angry, then he can stay at his job.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You didn't hear about the extension that McHale got for recruiting Dwight?

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Let's not talk about it. As I have explained numerous times Morey has almost unprecedented control of McHale's coaching staff. No established NBA coach is going to surrender such control to the GM. This is Morey's team, not the head coach's.

15. hat1

hat1 Member

I agree. We need an offensive coach who can better utilize the strength of Rox players.

16. Chris Jent MVP

Yes, yes, of course. TT failure is definitely NOT Asiks fault, no sir.

Had to be Murry and McFail.

17. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

For real

18. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I'd prefer an up-and-comer rather than an also-ran retread. Any veteran coach other than Pop has probably been too out of the game and too set in his ways to make an impact or properly assess the team/league.

19. RocketPowerNick

George Karl would be perfect

20. rocketblood713

Lionel Hollins and George Karl to me are the best choices but if this team goes to the WCF or further then the 1st round I think McHale has real good chance of coming back to this team