1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about next year's World Series team

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tandrus, Nov 2, 2017.

1. tandrus

tandrus Member

I think we all saw that the bullpen needs major help and I imagine our starting 8 remain the same with the DH being the exception. I'd love to see us make a run at the following people:

LHR: Jake McGee and Tony Watson come to mind as two top options. Both have OK splits and could be used against RH hitters as well. Robbie Ross could be a good pickup if he is OK from his back surgery. Boone Logan could be a more cost friendly option after his down year.

RHR: After seeing Brandon Morrow in the playoffs, I'd be a huge proponent of bringing him in. Other options include Addison Reed and Steve Cishek. Matt Albers and Peter Moylan could come on friendly deals based on their age. Tommy Hunter and Juan Nicasio are also decent options as well.

Closer: Wade Davis is the only big name out there this year. If we are going to spend big cash on bullpen help, Wade should get the call.

DH: Obviously Gattis could fill this role but might be expensive through arbitration. Brandon Phillips and Howie Kendrick are two guys that could take vet friendly roles, although they lack the traditional power of a DH. An expensive, but powerful option could be Jay Bruce (also from Texas). Internal options could be AJ Reed or Tyler White.

A couple other scenarios could be:
    - Marwin to first full time, Yuli to DH and Fisher in LF
    - Reed/White to first, Yuli to DH

I think it's likely only 1-2 moves are made this off season as I think the team leadership is confident in the current team (duh) as well as the young talent coming up. I didn't include any trade scenarios, but we have a logjam at a couple positions and I see one of White/Reed expendable, as well as JD Davis/Colin Moran. Thoughts? Who is on your shortlist?

2. astroscolt45

astroscolt45 Member

I think we use a combination of White/Reed/ Davis/ Moran to shore up the bullpen.

Tucker could come up next year and solidify the OF for the foreseeable future.

The rotation is set and With Whitley due up this year or next we are good going forward.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Merge w off-season thread

4. tandrus

tandrus Member

Will paste there - didn't see the thread when I started typing this up.

5. conquistador#11

what about the 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022 championship teams?