1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets make a Draft Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by BasketballReasons, May 18, 2009.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Hey everybody, this part of the forum isn't as active as the GARM or the NBA Dish and I think it's a shame because it's important to talk about international players and young prospects!
    I think it's a good idea, with the NBA Lottery tomorrow to talk about this. There have been a couple of threads about the Draft but none is actually talking about the top teams and top picks.
    First off, it might be a good idea to talk about who you guys think or who you would like to land the top pick (Rox obviously :D ). Obviously it's a lottery and anybody has a shot(see Chicago last year) but who which teams needs what?

I personnaly believe that most teams that would land the #1, even though Griffin is an amazing prospect, will be tempted to trade him for the #2 pick.
    Here's why:

When you look at the Mock Draft, you have the top five projected teams(in order):

1.Sacramento
    2.Washington
    3.Clippers
    4.Oklahoma
    5.Minnesota

1. Why would the Kings keep Griffin? They have aspirations in Hawes and Thompson who both have proven that they have a bright future in the NBA. What the Kings really NEED is a PG. Rubio can fulfill that.

2. If the Wizards get the #1 pick, they will surely stick to it. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't take Griffin. Arenas is still relatively young and even though he is a living injury, they have aspirations for him to come back next year. And mostly, they can't trade him because of his contract and value.

3. I could see the Clippers holding on to Griffin...or trading him away. It all depends what they see in Baron and in there big men. They have Kaman, Camby and Zbo and they projected that they could trade Davis. I think that the Clippers will make a blockbuster trade this offseason, because either way, they will need to make some space for Rubio or Griffin.

4. Oklahoma. Even though I would looooove Durant to come over here and therefore for OKC to not get the first, I think Griffin is simply destined for that team. The Thunder will do anything to get him, watch them be active on draft night if they don't land the first.

5. Minny. They have big men. But no PG. Watch them be active as well.

Overall, I think most of the top 7 teams are looking for a PG. Rubio, Jennings? It all depends what your ready to risk and give up. I think the 10 first picks are going to be very active on draft night, depending of course on the lottery. Even though this draft is weaker than the average, the announcement of Ricky Rubio entering is going to make it very entertaining and active for the GM's.

The first pick will be Blake Griffin, count that. But will he stay with his team? That is definitely not a certitude.

2. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

whens the last time the projected number 1, actually went number 1?

3. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

NBA teams that is..^^^^^^^^^

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

Oden was projected 1 so was Rose and so was Bargnani

5. BasketballReasons

Thats why I made this thread. Orelse I would have basically just talked about the Kings and what they could do by acquiring Griffin.

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i think he meant the team with the worst record in the league landed the #1 pick.

for some reason i am thinking maybe cleveland when they got lebron? they sure were tanking pretty hard that season.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I will actually be surprise if Blake Griffin is the top pick.

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

who else do you think it would be... Griffin is a lock at no.1, Rubio is the only player who might go no.1 if Griffin doesn't go no.1

9. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

I don't trust foreigners

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

So why are you in the Rox board then? Last I heard our most important player is Yao Ming, followed by Luis Scola :rolleyes:

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Prepare to be surprised then.... ;)

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I wish there was a way for the Rockets to get Hasheem Thabeet, so he can back up Yao.

13. BasketballReasons

That would be amazing. I think there are only to 7+footers in the first round.

14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would definitely take Hasheem Thabeet number one. Many compare him to Deke, but he already has a more polished offensive game than Deke. He may never be as dominate as Deke defensively, but he definitely has the potential to alter shots every time down the court. He has progressed every year, and with adequate coaching, he can probably be a DPOY candidate every single year. Griffin just looks like another Amare to me. I'd take Deke w/ better offense over Amare, but that's just me...

My projections for these two during their primes:

Griffin: 25 pts/10rebs/1.5blks/0.8stls
    Thabeet: 16pts/13rebs/3.5blks/1.3stls

15. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Clippers get first pick,

B. Davis passing the ball to B. Griffin

they automatically are contenders now.

16. geekSnake

geekSnake Member

Memphis with ricky rubio is gonna be pretty good too, gutted Sacramento,

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I wonder how much OKC is going to offer LA for the #1.

18. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

I think if you are OKC with the team you have put together and with his college history, you have to make an offer for Griffin. #3 overall plus another pick or two down the road and talent outside of Westbrook, Green and Durant) might be workable.

Another rumor going around is that Memphis might deal Conley in order to make room to draft Rubio. Portland obviously would have interest there, but if I'm the Rockets, I'd love to get my hands on Conley somehow. If I could have Conley and Brooks as my 1/2 PG combination for next 10 years, that would be awesome.