1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

lets find a star through the draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by johnnydeezy1, Oct 23, 2010.

1. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

The percentage we acquire a star through trade is looking very low. Besides melo and cp3, what other big name players are on the market? not many. Also every other "star" player seems like they have a home on their current teams and theres no way we could pry them away.

lakers- were not getting kobe or gasol lol
    kings- tyreke is sactowns new golden child
    warriors- steph curry? no way. possible ellis but do u consider him a star?
    clippers- they dont really have a star. were not getting their young talent and we dont need a old baron davis.
    suns- an aging steve nash? no thanks, plus they probably wouldnt let him go
    spurs- i highly doubt morey will try and get any one of the aging spurs big 3
    mavs- i can see us maybe getting a caron butler or something but hes no star. and dirk will finish his career in dallas
    grizzlies- getting rudy gay back would be a dream come true lol oj mayo?
    hornets- anyone think we getting cp3? i dont
    thunder- im a fan of green. im not even going to bring up you know who.
    blazers- if they let brandon roy go they are really dumb.
    jazz- dwill will always be a part of the hated jazz
    twolves- really?

hawks- josh smith is not a star but hes a possibility thats semi realistic. no way jose johnson.
    magic- yao for dwight? lol
    bobcats- gerald wallace? hes an option, big upgrade at sf and played with adelman.
    heat- as good as morey's been i dont see any of those 3 in houston.
    celtics- we dont want aging allens, pierces and garnetts
    nets- no lopez.
    raptors- i like barganni in this adelman system but who would we give up?
    knicks- amare is stuck in ny
    sixers- iggy is the main target
    cavs- man they have nothing anymore :(
    bucks- jennings is their savior. we have yao so i doubt a injury riddled bogut would be on the list
    pacers- granger would be nice
    bulls- derrick rose is a lifetime bull.
    pistons- they have nobody of interest. ( we have a better version of rip)

with that being said the only very good/ star players i see us possibly attaining are, monta ellis, caron butler, oj mayo, jeff green, josh smith, gerald wallace, andrea barganni and andre igoudala. now all these players are very talented and proven but are any of them the star that would get us to championship contender status?

finally, my point is i think we should try and get our own star through the draft. because young talent is such a hot commodity, We will have to give up a lot of assets but thats why they have them right? If we fail and draft the wrong player then hey at least we tried, but think if we hit the jackpot with a player such as tyreke evans, russel westbrook demarcus cousins or steph curry? seems pretty good huh? thats why i say we postpone this hunt for a star player and do it the old fashion more natural way. which is through the draft. So morey please dont trade our draft picks for a unproven winner, ball hogging carmelo anthony. lets use your drafting resume speak for yourself and acquire the steal of the draft, or trade our picks for a higher pick and get a top player houston can embrace as their own. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  2. DaJet

DaJet Member

You want us to tank to land that supposed star?

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

1). We have to tank, which is just plain disgraceful.
    2). Tanking does not guarantee a top pick.
    3). A top pick does not guarantee a star player.
    4). A star player, even if he doesn't bust, takes some time to develop, and by then who knows what will happen to our core guys.
    5). Draft classes are stronger some years, and weaker other years.

Tanking is only an option if we are a rebuilding team. We rebuild after the Yao era, not during it.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

horrible idea....unless you're tanking the chances of landing a star in a draft are EXTREMELY low....they're already low even with a lottery pick and there's no guarantee you'll get one who can make an immediate impact...might take years. The durants, lebrons, and shaqs dont come around often and/or multiple times in a draft.

5. DaJet

DaJet Member

OH NO U DIDN'T!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

i dont want the team to tank. morey has shown that he's been close to trades for top 10 picks, like the one this year for the demarcus cousins pick remember? we can do it, anythiings possible and we have solid draft picks of our own to use to trade up.

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'd say its better to be lucky/smart than tank. Your first example (Lakers) acquired both star players through trades. Kobe for Divac and Gasol for Gasol+. Nash has been traded several times. Trading for star player is possible. Opportunities do arise.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

We already have, his name is CHASE BUDINGER!

Actually think Morey might be saving those Knick picks to package them with another player to move up in next years draft.

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I don't think OP advocated tanking, I think he wants to trade our assets for high picks instead of for another team's player.

10. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

i understand what you mean but i dont think we would have to tank.
    i understand high pick does not guarantee a star/very good player, i acknowledged that in my post. I know it takes most young players time to develop. i dont disagree with any of this but i do disagree with when you said we reuild after the yao era, not during it. I really believe in order to be great you need to keep improving and adding pieces to an already proven veteran team and talented youth is the best option in my opinion. Also the recent draft classes have provided many very very good young players who are contributing right off the bat and improving at a very fast rate.

11. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

yes, thank you

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I wonder why nobody has gone into a draft trying to draft a star before? :confused:

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Right, because Minnesota or Toronto is definitely more likely to trade their potential #1 pick then Philly is to trade Iggy. Not to mention that we need our depth to win this year. Now if we can trade said depth for a highly good player that can help us win today, great. But picks are future assets, and will not help us win today at all.

This isn't 2k, where you can trade Jeffries for Cleveland's #1. To get one of those high picks, we'd have to give up enough assets that our chances of winning would go to zero. And that has absolutely no chance of happening.

14. Rockets_4_life

Yes I agree with the OP, NOT TO TANK, but instead collect assets to make a move on draft night and move up ... To get a chance at a game changer ... :)

Plus with the way the NY knicks are constructed and the east getting much stronger, I think that 2011 NY pick is going to be lottery! :grin:

15. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I'm not sure about a star but if the Knicks miss the playoffs in the bottom 10 in the NBA. I could see us landing a solid player or possibly move up in the draft for say, Harrison Barnes? ;)

16. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

game changer!! thats the word i was looking for.

17. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

we dont need the number one overall pick to draft a very good impact player. morey's drafted very good players in the late first and second round. imagine what he could do with a top 10 pick?

18. J-Man

J-Man Member

Remember the 09-10 Nets????

They tanked and got the worst record in the NBA, 12-70, but they DIDN'T get the top pick.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

[​IMG]
    Like, uh, this guy? We don't have room for him and I'd rather see him develop, so I'm not willing to trade our other cards for another pick like that.

20. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

are u retarted or do you just not read?