1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander: Notes from the Owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Sep 10, 2009.

1. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

[rQUOTEr]Leslie L. Alexander
    Houston Rockets Owner
    Houston - I am extremely anxious to see the Rockets play this season. For eight years I have wanted to move to a running style of play. If you play good defense and run consistently you are tough to beat as your edge in easy baskets is difficult for the opposition to overcome.

The basketball staff this year from the first day of training camp will put in place a top notch running game. It will be exciting to see the new players in the system, starting with Trevor Ariza. Daryl Morey and his staff believe Trevor has a good chance to take a significant step forward in his level of play and will thrive in a running style.

Chase Buddinger, Jermaine Taylor, and David Andersen all should fit in nicely and we will see who emerges as a valuable player. Everything we do is with an effort to bring another championship to the fans of Houston.[/rQUOTEr]

So basically in the past 8 years, a.k.a. Yao era, the team has been playing a style not wanted by their owner?? :confused:

It seems to me that the boss thinks Yao is the obvious reason hindering the progress of the team (to play his favourite style).

Nothing wrong to think this way though. Interesting part is if the team really that obsessed to running style games, the Amare deal was too good to reject.

I agree that Adelman's system was not meant for players like Yao. Yao should be traded when he returns healthy. And that's the only win-win situation for both parties.

Disclaimer: I am a Y-O-F.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Note_from_the_owner_Les_Alexa-313498-34.html

#1 freemaniam, Sep 10, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Good grief, Les is such a douche every time he opens his mouth.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

First off a healthy Yao supersedes any offense. A good coach will adapt to him (as Adelman has). And yes Les has been saying this for awhile. Bless Les' heart, he puts up the money and makes the moves, he does his best to keep us contending, but he just doesn't know much basketball. So don't put too much into anything he says basketball-wise.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Interesting part is if the team really that obsessed to running style games, the Amare deal was too good to reject.

What Amar'e deal? I have seen the words but I have never seen the deal. :confused:

5. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

But don't you think a healthy Yao could get certain great players who not only better fit into Adelman's system but also contributes more to the team?

Honestly I think the best of Coach Adelman's basketball has never been fully exposed in his Rockets days, the previous Kings team has played better basketball than 08 and 09 Rockets.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They had a deadly outside shooter and a real point guard. I'd like to see Yao with those tools for once his life.

7. dexkk

dexkk Member

faster paced games are more entertaining --> which means more revenue. The Suns were so popular with their run, even though they got exposed in the playoffs.

8. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I don't understand why he hired JVG, if he was just going to fire him for not playing a running style. JVG had no chance with Les.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It doesn't matter what he says as long as he lets Morey and Adelman make all the decisions. And on that score, he's been a great owner (unlike, say, Dreighton).

10. Raven

Raven Member

Are you being sarcastic? If not, I think your smear doesn't have a lot of weight behind it. In truth, Les has done all he can to win Championships, and he backs that up with his own $$$, unlike many owners who are content to simply soak up TV revenue and keep their payroll to a minimum. Granted, his comment can be interpreted in a negative way, but I think the man deserves the benefit of the doubt.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Say what one will about Owner Alexander, he has been a committed owner and one lousy communicator. Which would the BBS prefer?

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The one constant during the past 8 years of midling success has been the presence of Yao. All other players have come and gone. Oh, wait: Constant #2, players who can't get him the ball for one reason or another.

The thing is:

EITHER
    Get one hell of a point guard who can get the ball to Yao

OR
    Trade Yao for a more mobile, albeit less dominant center

An option shouldn't be, Keep Yao because we like him and love the revenue he brings us.

When healthy, Yao can kick A, and he loves the game, but is easy to game-plan for. Front him and take him out of the game. Beat him up; the refs won't call it anyway.

I wouldn't want to see Yao go, and Les won't give up his cash cow anyway, so I have no worries there, but again, the two constants on this team: 1) Yao; 2) players who can't get him the ball (or who try, and he fails to get the ball when the refs allow defenders to mug him down the floor).

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Right on. We don't want no PR dude only.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Lakers won rings with Kareem, and his plodding half court game......Yao can play on a running team, he can be our Kareem.

All of this reads like subtle messages to Tmac to me.......

DD

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

That's a fair point. Les seems to either not know what he's saying when he makes this statement or, as was suggested, he's a douche. It's almost like he wanted to pre-emptively put a positive spin on what were about to see out of traning camp, but he got it twisted.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There was no deal,just speculation.

17. Raven

Raven Member

We don't have a Magic Johnson, in his prime.

Anyway, let's not read too much into this.

18. MandM's

MandM's Member

let's just wait and see how many games this new "running" system will win before we decide it is so much better than before.

"running" teams don't fare well in playoffs. the history shows that. also they have a small window to work within. legs go very quickly.

suns are proof of that. those guys ran hard for a short period of time. now they are a little bit better than average team. can't win big.

in my opinion les is too easily swayed by the hype. one year he's one way....the next year another.

i don't think you can win big by changing your system just like that. back in the old days when the rockets won big...they had been true to their system for many years before it resulted in a championship. many thought it wouldn't come. but then it came together.

i think we are screwed. maybe 30 wins this season. adelman will be exposed and lack of a solid system will frustrate Les. quick fire next summer

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Since it was just speculation then don't scream foul for a 'deal' that wasn't. Please. Please? Ok.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JVG was often seen waving his arms to run. the guy with the ball in his hands most often (tmac) was too lazy to do so.

'05 against the mavs; that was a pretty good running team. if only they had a real pg, and players who could finish a fast break better than wesley, bowen, and padgett.