1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kojirou, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love Les Alexander. He's never been afraid to make big moves to improve the team. And though he's never been the biggest spending owner - he's never been cheap. And the number one reason I love Les Alexander? Because he's the owner who had the vision to hire Daryl Morey. And in just a few years, guys like Morey and Presti have changed the way we look at General Managers. Meanwhile, franchises are still hiring GM's like Billy King.

In my opinion, (and yeah, I'm an unapologetic Branch Darylian) hiring Daryl Morey may end up being the single greatest move this franchise has made since we drafted Hakeem Olajuwon. That move was 100% Les Alexander.

2. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

Les is ballin

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

thanks les.

keep empowering your leadership team, your coach, your GM. and good things will happen.

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

He inherited the great Olajuwon, but
    over his tenure, we've acquired:
    Drexler
    Barkley
    Pippen
    Yao
    T-Mac
    Harden
    Howard
    That is a lot of [potential] Hall of Famers for a "little town".

Much appreciated, Les.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

remember when he said he would have no reservations going into luxury tax this year to add a great piece ? I wonder what scenarios were brought up

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Ah yes, the bi-weekly Les Alexander Appreciation thread. For once, it is somewhat appropriate. It has been a great year for the Rockets, BUT the last twenty were not so great. One playoff round won. One. Just One. Basketball wise Les has been largely clueless. The Morey hiring was the turning point, but getting to where the franchise is today took years, even with Morey at the helm. Until the Harden acquisition, Morey was swinging for the fences, shuffling "assets," and mostly striking out. Things are looking good, NOW, but it has been a long, long, long, disappointing road to 2013. And thanks to Les, most of us can't watch the games unless we fly or drive to Houston. In the time that Les has fumbled around with the franchise, other teams have built and rebuilt several times. Just keeping it real.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Meanwhile, in Depressia.......

What you call "striking out" is what I think Morey would call "maintaining flexibility." He did a masterful job of never panicking, and always staying in a position to strike at a given opportunity. Les bought into that theory completely, and gave Daryl the autonomy to operate with freedom. The tone of your post suggests that the Rockets LUCKED INTO Dwight when we all know that was never the case. This has been 2+ years in the making, with the front office never giving up their faith in their cause.

8. Drunk_Goat

Drunk_Goat Member

Lets all show up next year game 1 without socks.

[​IMG]

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

DD needs to repent.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

Morey has been making some chess moves no doubt, but every outcome has an element of "luck" in it and yes I do believe the Rockets are very fortunate. Not to say, however, that Morey didn't put together a masterful presentation and set the team up for this possibility. But, I was mainly taking about Les, who I will never think was as good an owner as the previous one.

11. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Props!!

12. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I wonder what really was said In Les and D12 conversation

13. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

I want to sign my name in this thread to show my appreciation for Les. I think he is one of the best, if not the best, NBA team owner right now. Morey has credited Les many times for being the mind behind Houston's master plan.

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

- Dream loves the Rockets and Les and always praises them as well as bats for them
    - Drexler loves the Rockets and Les and always praises them as well as bats for them
    - Yao loves the Rockets and Les and always praises them as well as bats for them
    - Mutombo loves the Rockets and Les and always praises them as well as bats for them

Yup! Les is such a bad owner! :D

15. hoopstar39

hoopstar39 Member

Best laugh in the history of the universe

16. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I'd imagine it to have something to do with him wanting to win and don't mind spending.

17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

18. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

19. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

No love for le$ :(

Morey and dantoni threads but no love for the guy calling the shots :/

We are lucky to be one of the rare nba franchises with a clear power structure.

Vivek ranidive and other owners who dont know basketball cause dysfunctionality.

Le$ is more!

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

after firing McHale and hiring MDA

[​IMG]

LCAhmed likes this.