1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Leon Smith revisited...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakola, May 26, 2000.

1. hakola

hakola Member

I don't know but all these trade scenorios that I am hearing about really do not seem that realistic. I think we can still have a good team without moving up in the draft. Why not sign Leon Smith and play him SF and then take Moiso with the #9 pick and keep Cato. This would be a frairly young team with a great future I think. After Hakeem's retirement if we can also sign a young superstar (Duncan maybe) then we might really contend for years to come...

------------------

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Just because Leon Smith is a skinny, athletic kid DOES NOT mean he is a small forward. He is a power forward, with no perimeter skills, but not enough bulk to play in the NBA.

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

Ok, lets stop talking about "unrealistic" trades and talk about more "realistic" things like signing Duncan. Please....

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

4. hakola

hakola Member

cabbage:
    it was said on this board before that you can't teach someone athleticism but you can teach them to shoot (or some argument of that sort). Isn't Rashard Lewis also skinny and tall and plays SF...I am not comparing the two but it CAN happen. I don't think Leon Smith is a power forward...like you said he does not have enough bulk but he could maybe learn to play SF.

davo:
    I think we might have a better shot at signing Duncan after next year than packaging bunch of scrubs and #9 to get into the 3...

------------------

5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Isn't Rashard Lewis also skinny and tall and plays SF

Yes, but Rashard Lewis didn't learn how to play on the perimeter once he got to the NBA. He played on the perimeter quite abit in HS. He already had an outside shot, ball handling skills and passing skills when he was drafted. He just needed to get stronger and get use to the speed of the NBA game.

------------------

6. D.R.E.A.M

D.R.E.A.M Member

LOL! [​IMG]

------------------
    Dream's Team!

[This message has been edited by D.R.E.A.M (edited May 26, 2000).]

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Didn't Leon Smith just get sentenced to 18 months probation like, a few days ago?????

I don't think we want that kind of trouble on our roster!

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

8. today

today Contributing Member

There's nothing wrong with Leon except the fact that he has a little Mad Max in his blood...not to mention that he is psychotic and has a hankerin' for illegal substances. His character already has 2 strikes against him in my book. I'll pass. He will go down in history as another crappy draft pick by Don Nelson. Trust me.

------------------
    "You couldn't have stuck a pin up his @#! with a jackhammer. Yeah, I'd say he was pretty tight." -- Barkley on Pheonix Sun Chris Carr(...I think) after he missed a game winning free-throw.

[This message has been edited by today (edited May 27, 2000).]

9. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why don't you just get a guy that is athletic and can already shoot???? They're not exactly rare breeds.

For some reason, I would prefer to take a guy who already has good basketball skills and some athleticism than the guy who is highly athletic with no skills.

------------------

10. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

For the record about a month or so ago Jim Boylan was on the radio and was saying the Rockets did have a prioir relationship with the guy(we know that) and when the time come they would deal with Leon Smith. So in other words they are considering picking him up as a project.

------------------

11. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think the Rockets should give him a chance. Let him know what's at stake and just make his contract non-guaranteed just like they did T-Hamilton. I think Smith has much better up side than Hamilton did, especially with a young level headed running team around him.

------------------
    ballplayer

12. aelliott

Uhh...let's not repeat the Thomas Hamilton episode. He had a $500K guarenteed deal last year. He got paid for the remainder of the year, even after being kicked off the team.

------------------

13. alaskansnowman

I for one think we shud go after Leon Smith. AFter all, he will be very cheap. And I heard a while ago that he has been working out with Moses Malone. I also heard from my friend(I DONT know if this is tru or not) that Leon Smith was LIVING with my boy Matress Mac.

Leon Smith is not some dope addict or anything. He just declared for da NBA early and a combination of his rough childhood plus the tons of NBA pressures got to him. Plus I heard da Mavs did a really crappy job of preparing Smith for the lifestyle of da NBA, and of course, LOOK WHAT HAPPENED!

WE dont' need another small forward. Keep Walt, sign Smith. If Smith can play pf, that's even better.

We shud give this guy a chance... I think he's gotten better mentally/physically.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

14. aelliott

Leon Smith won't be all that cheap. The league and players union reached and agreement that any team that signs Smith must pick up the rookie scale contract that he signed with Dallas. Scale for the end of the 1st round should start around $500k, plus it's guarenteed for 4 years.

------------------

15. alaskansnowman

thx aelliot. I guess L. Smith wont' be REALLY cheap, but he'll still be relatively cheap.

SIGN HIM.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club