1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leon Smith about to become a free agent

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2000.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

---------------------------------
    ... if Leon Smith does return to the NBA, it won't be with the Mavericks. Team president Terdema Ussery told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram on Thursday night that he and union chief Billy Hunter have reached an agreement in principle to make Smith a free agent.

The details of the deal were not immediately available. The Mavericks had proposed paying off Smith's three-year, $1.45 million contract over the next 10 years, with a final agreement set to be announced next week, according to the Star-Telegram.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't know much about Leon Smith (other than he tried to kill himself and he refused to run in his first practice), but don't we still have our 1 million dollar exception for this year?

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

TheFreak, yes we still have the $1m exception. But note, we can sign as many players as we want under the minimum salary exception.

If I'm the GM, I'm giving Miller the $1m exception in about 3 days, unless he'll sign for the minimum.

The minimum is all Smith will get on a team, plus he'll take up a back spasm IR spot, which have been precious commodities for us, lately.

Signing Leon pretty much means you are going to play the season out with only 11 active players.

4. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

TheFreak,

It becomes a judgement call on whether the Rockets gamble too early or wait and risk seeing him signed by another team.

How long should a widower wait before dating again is the closest analogy I can think of.

Mango

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I think Houston has a good chance on getting him. This guy is a good player. I mentioned like a 2 months ago that the rockets wanted to get Leon Smith in the draft. They were looking to trade and stuff for him. So Houston has interest in him.

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

He's making the rounds in Texas
    Drafted by San Antonio
    Traded to/Released by Dallas
    Signs with Houston (?)

7. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

smokey

Leon is a 6'10" young athletic guy with loads of talent. Why wouldn't we want him if he costs the minimum? He might be able to become our frontcourt presence after Dream is gone.

heypartner

We did most of the season with 12 people and nobody on IR, so it doesn't really matter if we add another in my eyes.

mango

Very good analogy. LOL.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Here in Dallas, the Leon Smith saga isn't over. I just heard that new Mavs owner, Mark Cuban, may consider re-signing the kid. He said he's thinking it over and hasn't come to a conclusion yet. Terdema Ussery said that they're still leaning towards buying out Smith's contract and leaving him a free agent for now.

------------------
    trade him.

9. heypartner

RF

We always have had 13 people on this team. Now we have 15.

Tell me who you want to release to allow us to sign Leon. And tell me how you are going to manage you IR now that we have Rogers and TMass on it for awhile (plus Barkley).

10. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

There is somebody on a 10 day that should be coming due soon. Actually I think there are several on 10 day contracts. Miller will stay, the others are doubtful

However, I don't expect Leon to play in the NBA this season. The main issue would be a team signing him for the future. Stashing him is another way of saying it. Should the Rockets be ready with a pen and contract to sign Leon? I am torn between his potential and the fact that he was not ready for the NBA 4 months ago, yet now he would be. Is his life and sanity more important than a NBA career?

Mango

11. Shotcaller

Shotcaller Member

It seems like Leon is popular with some fans in Chicago...fans would like to the bulls take a chance on him.....at the min sal. I dont see why the rockets wouldnt take a chance, after seeing what they do with Pig...I am still upset over the R. Lewis thing...talking with a few Seattle fans it seems they hav been pleased this year with his play, and his mins have been picking up little by little..he has 1 year left on his contract and i think he would be a easy obtainable free agent for the Rockets at a very afordable price

[This message has been edited by Shotcaller (edited January 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Shotcaller (edited January 22, 2000).]

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

No Leon Smith on the Rockets.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

I'm pretty sure Rashard is a free agent in June. He only signed a 2 year deal like Cuttino. I too would like them to sign him.

14. heypartner

I suspect, from the change of "heart" by mavs mgmt, that they simply were floating a balloon when they said they were terminating his contract.

Think about it: what better way to find out if there is interest than to pre-announce your intention to release a player to see if other teams start scurrying.

My guess is the Mavs now intend to trade him.

15. alaskansnowman

I wouldn't really mind gettin Leon Smith next year. There's no question as to how much talent he has. It's just that he had personal problems. But maybe those are over now. On the clutchcity main page, it said all that Leon likes the rockets and that "all he needed was some love".

It is risky, but it might pay off. And plus, if we sign him to the minimum, we don't have to risk a lot of money on him.

In the end though, I think we should take a chance on this kid. As long as he doenst do something stupid again.