1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leno Confuses Paul Rodriguez for George Lopez while trying to bury the hatchet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, May 3, 2007.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

EDIT: I think my thread title isn't getting the point accross, so I added this.

George Lopez called out Jay Leno for being two faced and a backstabber. Jay Leno tried to work things out with George by talking to him face to face, except it wasn't George he was talking to, it was Paul Rodriguez.

Comedian feels 'hurt' by Latin flubber Leno

BY GEORGE RUSH AND JOANNA RUSH MOLLOY

Thursday, May 3rd 2007, 4:00 AM

Jay Leno has some 'splaining to do - as the great Desi Arnaz might have said -after mixing up two of America's top Latino comics.

You may remember that, in January, funnyman George Lopez told a Florida radio station that the "Tonight" host is "the biggest two-faced dude in TV." Besides calling Leno a "backstabber," Lopez branded him "the worst interviewer on TV."

Leno hadn't forgotten Lopez's attack when he walked into the recent Laugh Factory memorial for comic Richard Jeni. Spotting comedian Paul Rodriguez, Leno brought up the dig.

"He said, 'Listen, maybe you and I should sit down and work this out,'" Rodriguez recalled when we phoned him yesterday. "He said, 'We shouldn't be airing this stuff in public.' He was going on like that. At first, I thought he was putting me on. Finally, I said, 'Jay, It's Paul! I'm not George! I'm the other Beatle.'

"Jay apologized. He said, 'I'm sorry. I don't have my contacts in.' I said, 'Hey, it's understandable. We Mexicans all look alike."

Another witness said, "People who heard Jay thought it was bizarre. He's either getting Alzheimer's or he's gone so Hollywood he doesn't remember his friends from his early standup days."

Taking the stage before a crowd that included Tim Allen, Richard Lewis, Paul Provenza, Ray Romano, Larry Miller and Elayne Boosler, Leno acknowledged his flub - blaming it on his grief over Jeni's suicide.

"It was dark in the club," added Leno's rep. "He thought he saw George out of the corner of his eye. He started talking and then realized it wasn't George. ... He hadn't seen Paul in a year. They both laughed."

Rodriguez told us: "I am a little hurt. I've worked with him for going on 30 years. Our families know each other. I thought I was on the inside of Jay's circle. When Letterman was kicking his buns, I told my Latino viewers to support Jay. I don't know what makes people so forgetful. Maybe it's time for Conan to come on [as Leno's replacement]."

The comedy king added, "I don't know how Jay could confuse me with George. He's tall, I'm attractive. Jose Feliciano could tell the difference.

"Really, I have no animosity toward Jay. The fact that he doesn't put me on his show only enhances his stature in my eyes. And, if he does put me on the show, I will insist on performing as George Lopez."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/r...comedian_feels_hurt_by_latin_flubber_len.html

#1 Oski2005, May 3, 2007
    Last edited: May 3, 2007
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Leno could help mend a lot of fences if he was actually funny, and his sense of humor was actually relevant.

3. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

What about Carlos Mencia ripping everyone off?

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

At least Leno didn't do the ultimate dishonor of mistaking him for Menstealia.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Beyond George Lopez, Paul Rodriguez and Carlos Mencia all being Hispanic and comedians
    What does this have to do with the Jay Leno not being able to Tell George Lopez from Paul Rodriguez?

:rolleyes:

Rocket River

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We. uh... could talk about Vince Young as well... :D

8. Astro101

Astro101 Member

So why exactly does Lopez hate him so much?

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Does anyone actually find Leno funny?

I mean, outside my 60-yr old dad?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

que onda, vato. ese.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

George Lopez says Carlos stole a bunch of his material. So it's vaguely connected.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

as opposed to who, Letterman? I would watch Leno in a heartbeat over Letterman and his so called humour. Sh*t, i'd watch Kimmel over letterman.

13. Mr. Brightside

Leno and Letterman both suck. Kimmel's show is better, not because he is a funnier comedian, but due to their sketches, and characters on the show. For actual comedic talent, Conan blows them all away.

1. Conan
    2. Craig Ferguson
    3. Kimmel
    4. Leno
    5. Letterman
    6. Daly

14. Party Boy

Party Boy Member

If you ask Conan who was the most influential to him, he would say Letterman.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Conan
    2. Letterman
    3. Kimmel(not because of the host, but because of the sketches)
    4. Ferguson
    5. Leno

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My list...

1. Stewart
    2. Colbert

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

and they lap the field imo.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

How in the heck can you even put Daly up there. The dude and his show are a joke. Does anyone actually stay up long enough to watch it?

19. Mr. Brightside

I agree. Stewart is number one on my list as well. But I didn't consider him or Colbert since they aren't on network tv.