1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legler on Westbrook being his MVP pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Apr 25, 2017.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

And before Westbrook, it was always Steph, Steph, Steph.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Backwards Rationalization

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Westbrook is the new Iverson or the new Kobe. He is beyond criticism.

4. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Westbrick now gon' fishin, but he will still be averaging a triple double at sea. Obviously with excessive attempts.

5. thekad

thekad Member

The Rockets were one Harden 3 away from sweeping this series. The media is amazingly dense.

slothy420 likes this.
  6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Don't care. Round 2 here we come.

BigM likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10 morwongs 11 sea urchins 19 shoes

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Steps curry won MVP on one of the most stacked teams of all time, but Harden has too much help even though there weren't any other all stars on the team.

D-rock, roslolian and JayGoogle like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This will, forever and always, be the funniest aspect of this NBA season. The media was so desperate to prop Westbrook and tear down Harden, they honestly resorted to "too much help". An incredible feat of bias.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

PLEASE GET FIRED TODAY! PLAESE GET FIRED TODAY!

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seriously....what else matters? Westbrook is going to win the MVP by padding stats and leading his team to a whopping 6th place and 1st round exit in 5 games. I'll take the 3rd seed, longer stay in the playoffs and the runner up in the MVP race any day.

12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

I wish people would admit they voted for westbrick because they just don't like Harden. The argument for Westbrick this year is essentially the same as the one for Harden in 2015. Consider that along with the fact Harden didn't make any All NBA teams least season, and it seems pretty clear that it's personal for many who vote for these awards.

Killatron 2000 and J Sizzle like this.
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The reason is simple.

Most fans are having this loser mentality : Look, GSW is so powerful and unreal, they are going to win it anyway. At least if we have a MVP award, it still proves we have the best player in the league, well for this year at least.

And of course, you will always have a group of idiots put their player worship above everything else.

You can't really blame them for such mentality, not at all.

They grow up in a society that loves to give participation trophies and also being very sensitive about how people will handle their emotions when they were defeated.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

A lot of people mention this, but the one major difference is that Warriors team was ridiculous good. Like damn near historically good. I think that's something you can't overlook. They had 67 wins that year AND had the #1 record in the league. While I agree that Steph had A LOT more help, you can still say he was the best player on a historically good team. Harden couldn't say that this year.

I think if the Rockets had manged a milestone of like 60 wins (media likes round numbers), then Harden probably wins MVP easily. Mainly cause a team with one star player got 60 wins, which is extremely rare. But the 55 wins and blah close-out to the season kind of let the Rockets slide under-the-radar just enough to where people didn't fully respect what they managed to accomplish this year. Where as with that Warriors team, their success was the story of that NBA season.

And don't get me wrong...I don't think a player on a non-contending team should ever even be considered for MVP, much less win it. But the notion that this is an equal comparison to the Harden/Steph debate in 2015 doesn't quite sit right. Westbrook's stats were more eye-popping than Harden's in 2015, and Steph's 2015 team was much better than Harden's 2017 team.

The story about this year's MVP debate isn't individual stats vs winning percentage like it was in 2015. I think that's a valid debate. The ridiculousness in this year's MVP race is people voting for an MVP that's not even on a good team.

Like I think it's valid to debate winning percentage vs stats provided both players are still on good/contending teams.

#74 DCkid, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    wekko368 likes this.
  15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

They'll probably fire the people who voted for Harden :( .

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I want Harden to be the Finals MVP, that is worth much, much more. WB can have the MVP. He had a truly amazing regular season, but it is now OVER.

17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I can't ever stop thinking about this. I hate how the NBA has changed over the years. I just miss the good days.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The reality of these TV analysts (like Legler) is that they have their biases and many times form their opinions on "aesthetics." How things look. The optics.

And THEN, once they have their conclusion, they will go back and "pick and choose" the "facts" that back up what they like.

Wash, rinse, repeat.