1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legler on Westbrook being his MVP pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Wylo

Wylo Member

Westbrook's on/off numbers are also misleading because OKC has one of the biggest gap between their starting five and bench unit, whereas Houston actually starts inferior players over much better players (Nene, Lou, Gordon >>> Capela, Ryan, and Ariza), to take advantage of the second-unit match-up. This is actually very smart thing to do as a team, but will make Harden's on/off numbers look worse in comparison.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I can see, OKC is lost without Westbrook - not just on offense but on defense too. He is such a ferocious player. I was really impressed with his game this series - more so than I have been in the past. He's taken things to another level.

As a fan of basketball, I can understand why Westbrook is seen as the MVP. There's no shame is praising a player on the opposing team.

Anyway, at least now we can stop talking about Westbrook - how sweet it is!

3. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Kawhi has 54 wins this season, which is the same as what Harden has, and Harden has much better stats, so I think it's very clear who deserves the MVP more. I mean, Spurs are 7-1 without Kawhi this season, you can't credit the wins to him when he wasn't even on the floor.

Killatron 2000 and Richie_Rich like this.
  4. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

When is the last time an NBA MVP won a single play-off game, much less a series?

13 in 33 likes this.
  5. Wylo

Wylo Member

If we go by that line of reasoning, Harden is the least impactful player among those three according to RPM.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If you take Lillard out of the TrailBlazers, then the GSW sweep them, and double the winning margins.

It's no contest that Lillard is MVP.

Killatron 2000 and Richie_Rich like this.
  7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I think Harden deserved it by making his whole team so much better and in such creative fashion. I don't have a problem with people thinking Westbrook deserved it. He had an incredible season. I wish they could share it but I think the writing's on the wall about that. I think D'Antoni and Morey deserve top honors too and I think we have the 6th man. But I'd much rather be in the second round than have any regular season award.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Did Harden make his team better or did Morey?

Harden may have been the same player last year yet his team was disastrous and won 41 games. This season are we to believe that Harden dramatically changed his approach? Or did Morey just bring in better players and a better coach? I think it's tough to argue that Morey deserves EOTY, D'Antoni is COY, and Gordon is 6MOY while also saying Harden won all of those awards for them. Especially when stats tell us that those guys without Harden are balling.

Mr. Clutch and Batman Jones like this.
  9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Whatever. This topic is dead to me. WB can have his consolation award. I'd rather be advancing in the playoffs anyway, and I'm sure Westbrook would as well based on his reaction tonight.

Beardaholic13 likes this.
  10. Batman Jones

I think it's obvious that Harden, D'Antoni, and Morey had a serendipitous, common vision and those three, along with Alexander and the rest of the team, have worked together to achieve it. I don't think any one of them succeeds without the other two.

TheMystery008 and J Sizzle like this.
  11. Batman Jones

But honestly I don't really care about the year-end awards. I care about advancing in the playoffs.

12. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

You should hear this guy Ben Maller on Fox Sports. Absolutely trashed RW, called Reggie Miller Rw's roommate, etc. absolutely hilarious.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

It's really going to be hard for harden to win any MVP trophy in the future when your are one of the most hated athletes in sports, I bet you guys if westbrook wasn't having that season, the media would've final away to give it to other candidate (Leonard, LeBron....)

slothy420 likes this.
  15. crispy123

crispy123 Member

I'll take being hated by the media than being hated by my NBA peers (Westbrook) there's a reason why durant left. let him have his MVP I'll take NBA wins and players that want to play with us, hence us scoring 47 points from our bench and OKC scoring about 19

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think its pretty clear why Durant left. He went to a team with 3 elite shooters lol. Its like a girl breaking up with his playboy bf and then marrying a 40 yr old virgin. KD got fed up so much with WB bricking he over compensated. If we didnt have such a crappy season last year and had the MDA system already in place I think KD would've signed with us instead.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

legler nose overfloweth from all that blind slurping on westie's third legler

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Harden had played like Westbrook (taking 35 shots a game) we might be down in this series.

If Westbrook played like Harden in games 3 and 4, they would not be on summer break right now.

I seriously can not believe how blatantly obvious it is that Westbrook lost this series due to ego. When he was playing a balance of scoring and passing, they were killing us even with Harden on the floor. He gave us this series on a platter. And yes Westbrook, I am trying to split you up. Your teammates did everything they could to win more and it was enough, you are the one who screwed them out of it by shooting too much.

However, I suspect part of it is because Donovan is not particularly good at designing an offense like MDA.

Space Ghost and Richie_Rich like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Adam is the more valuable player for the Thunder than WB. If you take Adam out, that team might not even make the playoff.

p.s. If you look at the simple +/- that ESPN and TNT kept on mentioning, WB was +15 for the series vs +16 for Adam, who played a lot less minutes than WB (oh and Harden was +19 for the series).

#40 Amiga, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017