1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legendary Heavy Metal Vocalist RONNIE JAMES DIO Dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Turpis, May 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Turpis

Turpis Member

[​IMG]

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140129

RIP Dio :(

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

This guy is in mourning.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Damn. He had one of the truly powerful, unique rock voices. I didn't even know he was sick. I saw him perform on his "The Last in Line" tour. That must of been back in 1984-85. I remember it being a good show with good effects. I remember him slaying a big prop dragon with a sword. "Holy Diver" and "The Last in Line", released in 1984 and 1985 respectively, were staples on my record player back then. I still listen to a few of those classics on occassion when the urge hits me. Metallica "Master of Puppets" came out in 1986. Those were the days.

Rest in peace, Ronnie. Your voice left a mark on rock and roll that will be remembered.

4. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

RIP. Tell Bobby I said hello, he'll be looking for you.

5. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

metal lost a true great with his passing. he easily had one of the top five voices in all of rock.

i was fortunate to see him a few years ago on the heaven and hell tour.

RIP Dio

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YD0xFdjG6mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YD0xFdjG6mc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

6. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

RIP to RJD.....Everytime someone throws the horns up at a concert they should think of him.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Damn, I was just watching VH1's 100 greatest hard rock songs last night and was thinking to myself how only a true badass could come in and step into the lead singer role in Sabbath after Ozzie left.

He had a legit set of pipes.

RIP RJD.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

gonna miss Dio. he always came across as genuine when it came to the fans. i'm glad i caught him on the Heaven and Hell Tour.

RIP... \m/ \m/

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Just listened to some of his songs the other day. A loss of a true rock legend.

People who remember Night Flight on the USA Network in the 80's might might remember this trippy cartoon they'd always show. I didnt know it was Dio singing until a couple years ago

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bv8F8reGa80&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bv8F8reGa80&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

RIP, saw Megadeth open for him 86/87 at the Summit. I left mid set Dio, I was out when he started sword fighting a dragon on stage. Not a great show for me, Megadeth was good.

11. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/peep/2010/05/ronnie_james_dio_dead_1.html

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Rock ON RJD.

You were the smallest man with the hugest set of pipes. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are still to this day my two favorite Sabbath albums

Thanks for everything.

RIP[​IMG]

13. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

We owe this to Ronnie (actually his grandmother) [​IMG].

RIP

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm a pretty big Dio fan. I have an autographed poster of him from a French fanzine on my wall, and an old girlfriend gave me a vintage "Holy Diver" tour t-shirt for my birthday years ago. I managed to see Dio live three times in the new millenium, and it was always a good time.

[​IMG]

RIP Dio. Give my regards to the man on the silver mountain.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

RIP.

Stomach cancer often follows the hard, hard brown liquor habit.

I think Rainbow, the band, was kind of underrated.

#15 B-Bob, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  16. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

17. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

RIP Ronnie James Dio

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sad. Saw him with Black Sabbath a few years ago at the Woodlands.

my grand mother died oh stomach cancer too.

19. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

RIP Ronnie james Dio. Metal lost a great one.

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Without question they and really Richie Blackmoor are highly underrated by any who's not a hard core metal head. Although I perfer Rainbow with Joe Lynn Tuner on vocals over Dio or the other dude.