1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Lebron] This is a Great Article

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SacTown, May 27, 2011.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

Great Article. Covers probably everyone on this bbs. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Lebron, but you have to give credit to his talents. He's been amazing.

LeBron earns redemption with Finals berth

CHICAGO – Forget the hate.

Never mind The Decision.

LeBron James, for better or worse, has returned to the NBA Finals with a more formidable team and a fiercer personal mettle than the last time he came so close to the championship he craves.

On Thursday, in the Heat's 83-80 comeback win to clinch a trip to the NBA Finals, we saw LeBron James for all that he is now: Clutch as the pressure rises. Ready to be whatever he must. And – regardless of your take on his exit from Cleveland or your read of his flaws or virtues – a man who has earned the right to move past the ridicule.

This is America, where winners rule the day. And right now, LeBron James is a winner of the highest order.

"I never lost confidence in my ability," LeBron said. "I know what I'm capable of."

The final test waits ahead, and it will not be easy. Dallas, like Miami, is a championship-caliber team hitting its stride at the right moment.

But a ring is no longer the rule for LeBron's redemption. What he did in this Eastern Conference finals series should do the trick.

LeBron carried a Heat team saddled with a diminished version of Dwyane Wade and beat the Bulls, the team with the NBA's best record, four straight times after a Game 1 loss. His 28-point, 11-rebound and six-assist outing Thursday night was the latest example.

All series, LeBron shut down Derrick Rose, the league MVP and the Bulls' singular offensive engine, with stunning defense. He took over games, including scoring 12 fourth-quarter points in Thursday's incredible comeback from a 12-point deficit in the final minutes.

Again and again, in Game 5 and the games that preceded it, he has hit big shot after big shot. With 2:07 left Thursday, he drained a 3-pointer to cut Chicago's lead to five. With 61 seconds to go, he stroked another 3 to tie it. Then, 30 seconds later, he calmly sank a 20-footer to give his team the lead.

He was – he simply is – incredible.

What we saw Thursday night is LeBron James fortified by all these things: his past failures, his arrogance, his hunger, his place as a leader and teammate, the world's hate and his own doubts and the pressing question of whether he'd chosen correctly last summer.

Even his last words before leaving his postgame news conference again revealed the forces that have shaped him: "We've got a month left of the continuation of hate," he said.

It is that adversity-tested LeBron who helped the Heat close a 12-point deficit with less than four minutes left and a seven-point deficit with 1:46 left.

It was then, after Derrick Rose hit a tough shot to give Chicago a 79-72 lead, that the Heat went on an incredible 29-second, 7-0 run in only two possessions. Wade notched a remarkable four-point play. But it was the steel LeBron flashed in the face of the big moment that brought it all home, from his tying 3-pointer to a steal against Rose that set up his go-ahead basket to the final block on Rose's last shot that denied the Bulls a shot at overtime.

"We know how bad he wants to be in this situation," said Chris Bosh, who added 20 points and 10 rebounds of his own. "He's back in the Finals, he's been here before. He has that pain. He carries that pain (of coming up short) with him everywhere he goes."

And one year after bringing on a barrage of hate and anger, he will carry it along with his teammates to the place he swore they'd go: one last series to try and become champions.

It wasn't easy. Wade had another off night, despite his 10 fourth-quarter points. He turned the ball over nine times, shot 6 of 13 and continued his general malaise.

"It's not the first time in my life I've struggled," Wade said. "I wanted to play great. It just wasn't in the cards for me to do that."

To be sure, other Heat players rose to fill that void. Bosh had another outstanding game. Mike Miller scored seven points and had six rebounds, almost all of them coming at key moments. Udonis Haslem pitched in some rebounds and key minutes and Joel Anthony blocked two shots and made himself again an under-heralded defensive force.

But it was LeBron who played, yes, like a Chosen One.

After what he accomplished in Games 2-5, things must change.

The criticism for LeBron and his team now must be leavened with a fair amount of praise and acknowledgement. It may not taste good to those outside South Florida, but reality rarely does for those who would rather not have it.

Take Joakim Noah's comment after the game: "You have to give credit where credit is due. They are Hollywood as hell, but they are good."

Call them Hollywood. Or Arrogant. Call LeBron a traitor, or Wade a whiner, or the Heat a collection of mercenaries who schemed for this moment.

It's all hollow now, and whether it is true or not doesn't matter. Because Noah has the heart of it.

They are good. They are great.

Arrogance is not so bad when it's earned. Hollywood has produced its own share of NBA champions. And one man's traitor or whiner is another's hero or defender.

This is true, too: LeBron has been arrogant, and that arrogance has made him strong.

He's been a little Hollywood, and that flash and fun (like when he beat Erick Dampier in a 3-point contest Thursday morning 11-10, and hooted and hollered and giggled the whole time) has helped him bond with his team and get comfortable in a very uncomfortable spot.

He is no traitor, not to the team he chose to link up with. I've dished out my own fair share of criticism at the man but I've pointed out these things, too: He bonded truly with his young head coach. He found a selfless link with co-star Wade. He grew as a player and matured under the fire.

There are things to dislike in LeBron, as there are in all of us. There are things to like. And after Thursday's performance, there are things that must be said – credit that must be given.

LeBron is a complicated, talented, gifted, controversial basketball player. He's also a winner. And regardless of how he went about it, he made the right choice when he took his talents to South Beach.

All of these things played out in stark relief Thursday.

For LeBron James, the future is right now.

The rings will come, whether in this upcoming series against Dallas or else in the years ahead.

For now, this is enough: LeBron James has reached his incredible potential. And that means he, his team and the league aren't going to be the same.

http://www.foxsportsflorida.com/msn...heat.html?blockID=528964&feedID=3722&

2. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

wonder what flamindgts has to say as MANY articles say rose got "shut down."

3. Soybean Fanatic

LBJ's a pompous ass.

Yes, he's gotten to the finals. He's done it by joing up with to other top level players, and by doing so at a career point way before coat riding time.
    Should make him a glorious winner, I don't think so.

In my mind, it would've been way more glorious, had he done it the conventional way.

1 person likes this.
  4. SacTown

SacTown Member

pompous ass. Yes OK we can agree there. Coat riding??? Did you WATCH the games??? He's doing it all himself. Coat riding is when you let someone else do it for you. It isn't like the heat are just walking thru everybody because they are more talented. These games a close, these games are a grind, and Lebron is stepping up and doing the work. That is not coat riding. (and you know it)

1 person likes this.
  5. Shaud

Shaud Member

LeBron James isn't coatriding. Yes he is playing with a great player in Wade but it is pretty clear who team Miami has become.

Some of you act like LeBron signed with a team that has been winning Championship after Championship. Sure Wade has a ring but Miami hasn't gotten out of the 1st round since that Championship.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He joined Wade's team.

It was Wade's heroics which beat the Celtics. It was Wade which sparked the comeback last night.

This team is Wade's team. Wade is the leader.

7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

If Rose has a 2nd and 3rd option (say Amare/Joe Johnson), Bulls would have won the series easily.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

First, if it wasn't for Lebron, the Heat wouldn't have even been in position to make a comeback. If it had been up to Wade, they would have been down 40 already with the way he was playing. Second, Wade may have "sparked" the run, but Lebron is the one who finished it off (and he still had more 4th quarter points than Wade).

But even if it was Wade who closed out Game 5, what about game 4 when it was Lebron? What about Game 2, when it was Lebron? Wade played like complete garbage for all but 5 minutes of the conference Finals (the last three minutes of Game 5 and the last two minutes of overtime in Game 4).

How was it Wade's heroics that beat the Celtics when Lebron was the one who finished Game 5 with a personal 10-0 run? He's also the guy who had 11 of their last 13 points in regulation in Game 4 against Boston.

Is it suddenly Bosh's team because he was the best closer for them in Game 3 against Chicago?

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

OK I agree with that. Which is why I didn't pick the Bulls to win this series. Who did you pick before the series started?

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

If it wasn't for Lebron they would have been down by 40 going into the 4th, when Wade was playing like Adam Morrison out there.

11. Moleb

Moleb Member

But the thing is he didnt, and that's the reality of it...

12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I guess you weren't watching the same game everyone else was. Miami is now LeBrons team.

13. ApuN

ApuN Member

It really is hard on you haters right now

It really is hard.

This "its still Wade's team, Wade is the leader" nonsense is making you guys look pretty stupid right now

1 person likes this.
  14. Roxdoc

Roxdoc Member

Regardless of who's team it is, Lebron is of great caliber and he proves night in and night out. Offense, defenses, scoring, assists, clutch.. Those are the real 5 reasons people hate on him so much..

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Wade was the third reason they beat the team with the best record in the league. Lebron and Bosh are the reasons they made it past the Bulls. Even if you hate him you can't legitimately say he isn't the main reason they are winning right now. This is coming from someone who really hates him as an athlete.

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You mean besides the fact that you run out of every single argument?

Well I guess I could also say, you're pointless to argue with.

17. fmp087

fmp087 Member

LOL. Man you really hate Lebron.

1 person likes this.
  18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's cool to hate but stop making stuff up. Wade's heroics beat the Celtics? Wasn't LeBron the one that hit the dagger in front of Boston's bench in one game? Wasn't it LeBron who went on a 10-0 run to close the series winner?

19. delishman

delishman Member

Don't like the politics of Lebron. Annoys me how hard he works on his image..

Love the way he plays the game. More so than anyone since Jordan. He is incredible. He's like a Dr.J//Magic Johnson mix.. it is absolutely incredible.

20. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

lol the same can said for lebron's cavs. just replace series with championships.