1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Lebron: Morey wasn't educated on issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Lovemachine2000

What a joke, if it weren't for "tinkering" with the US Constitution, slavery would still be legal in the US, and only white men who own properties would be allowed to vote.

dlite316 and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Just putting it out there, the people who wrote or participated in the writing of both the Declaration of Independence and Constitution (including the Bill of Rights), most of them owned slaves. This is a fact that many textbooks and classes gloss over if not skip entirely.

dlite316 and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

malakas likes this.
  5. Lovemachine2000

I'm also spotting at least one bandwagon Warriors jersey there lol.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Who would have thought that Daryl Morey would become a symbol of freedom?

Never say never in this world LMAO

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Zach Lowe’s response on his podcast today was somewhat playing the middle. Trying to understand what LeBron probably meant and was talking about but was also disappointed on his statement.

And currently on The Jump to no surprise Kendrick Perkins backing LeBron completely and calling Morey the selfish one.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

the 34 red and yellow jersey with the word Houston on the front
    stands for everything that is good in the universe
    it's pure

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Rockets Barkley jersey spotted too

10. Remlap

Remlap Member

The fact that they may have owned slaves does not make the document or its' principles obsolete today.
    Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness doesn't sound like slavery to me.
    We've had an African American in the highest office in the nation.
    We have MANY African American millionaires (ahem. .hello Lebron)

Look at what our Constitution and newfound freedom did for the world.
    We took a 5,000 year leap. If not for the freedoms Americans enjoyed, we may still be riding horses and gathering firewood.
    Freedom, prosperity and innovation have driven technological advances since the Industrial Revolution.
    America (and our Constitution and freedoms) were the driving force for ALL of the freedoms you see today
    AROUND THE WORLD. Pretty much ALL countries when America was being formed were run by
    monarchies and kings/queens. America was a revolutionary idea.

So, what countries today have a better model than we have?

11. Remlap

Remlap Member

Not saying changes weren't necessary. Those changes were needed and were done within the confines of our laws and rules.
    What I AM saying is wholesale changes aren't necessary.

Saying that the principles of our Constitution are unfounded because some of them may have been slave owners is folly.
    Some of them may have been adulterers too, or alcoholics, or whatever you choose to look for. Sure, they weren't perfect men.
    But that doesn't make the system they setup illegitimate does it?

Slavery has been a practice in Africa for eons and still exists today in some forms.
    So, let's not just make this about white people. MANY Irish people were sold into slavery.
    Even some black men in America were slave holders.
    Unfortunately, that was part of the culture. Takes time for those changes to take effect.

So, let's take TODAY's politicians for example. Are they morally better than those framers of the Constitution?
    I would hope you wouldn't think so. Corruption and special interests are so prevalent from BOTH parties.
    I wouldn't trust our Congress to come up with rules for a dodge ball game, much less a NEW fair and impartial system of living.

'If it aint' broke, don't fix it'.

#471 Remlap, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  12. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Just listen to Lebron talk for 5 minutes. Or read something he has written, like a tweet....

He - more than anyone else - should not be talking about anyone’s education.

Richie_Rich and malakas like this.
  13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

- It does make it a rather hypocritical statement however
    - "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" while having a system of slavery sure sounds like hypocrisy to me, which is something the US is great at.
    - So has many other countries long, long before we did
    - Refer to the previous point

- What has the Constitution done for the world? Please do tell!
    - I suppose the Industrial Revolution didn't happen in Europe then?
    - The Industrial Revolution started in Britain who by the way abolished slavery before the US did
    - Democracy and America was not a revolutionary idea. Study Athens when you have a chance
    - Most of Europe is actually still loosely "constitutional monarchy"

Oh, and don't forget about the forced relocation of Native Americans during Manifest Destiny, how we ended up with Cuba at the time, Japanese concentration camps, being the first and only country to use a nuclear warhead against another country due wartime, Communist witch hunt during the Cold War, invasion of Iraq without approval from UN because everyone knew it was for oil, the setup of puppet governments in Latin and South America to reap benefits for private companies, enhanced interrogation of innocents after 9-11 under the ironically named Patriot Act as additions to the list of US atrocities and hypocrisy. Keep in mind that when each of these events happened, we flew them under the guise of "freedom", "defending democracy", "American values", and other national pride inducing rhetoric.

Don't confuse this as me thinking the US is this terrible country to live in however. Just recognize that, just like any other country, the US has no shortage of skeletons in its closet. Before any of us gets on whatever self-righteous pedestal we may want to stand on, it's important to look in the mirror first.

#473 chenjy9, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Dont know if posted

16. madmaxu

madmaxu Member

I agree Lebron's sentiment that public figures such as Daryl Morey need to understand an issue before chiming in with his take. Current state of HK is that peaceful protests has escalated into riots and random acts violence against people from China or families of police who are themselves HKnese. Mafia and gangs are using this opportunity to create instability and chaos and threaten police officers who has cracked down on them in the past. What information does Morey have that justify him tweeting in support this violence? What does he hope to happen with tweet? That HK hoodlums continue to riot and the city continue to be vandalized and eventually destroyed?

If Daryl feels so strongly about freedom where was he during Black lives Matter? Where was he when police were targeting black youth and killing them without justification? Where was his tweet storm? This was happening right in his backyard to his biggest customer base, not 10,000 miles away in a land and culture that he has no knowledge about.

To me this is crux of the matter and what Lebron was trying to convey. I support 100%.

dlite316 likes this.
  17. TheresTheDagger

As far as I'm concerned, today Lebron James became the most hated athlete in America since O.J. Simpson.

Money over Freedom.
    Profit over People
    China over United States

Disgraceful.

clutchdabear and malakas like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

I have spent certainly spent more time in China than LeBron James has.

LeBron James never said he disagreed with Morey's opinion on Hong Kong and never said he supported China on the issue either.

He had an issue with Morey saying something that cost him money..... further he said that it put players at potential physical risk.

I find the fear of "physical risk" interesting, as he apparently really felt that the Chinese Communist Party government would physically harm NBA players? He is the first person I have seen actually state such an opinion, and by inference it isn't a very glowing opinion of the CCP.

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

i generally hated Lebron.

i'm so happy to be validated.

cerophilik likes this.
  20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

easy now