1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James thinks Stephen Curry's deal should really be worth $400 million

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brown Lost It, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2017/7...stephen-curry-nba-free-agency-make-that-money

Thoughts? I agree. Curry and other nba players deserve what the market is willing to pay for him, and right now curry and his brand are easily be worth $70+ million to any nba team. People always want to bring up how endorsements play a large part, but that should always be a Seperate factor.

In baseball there is no salary cap, why not in basketball? One guy on a basketball court is worth way more than one guy on a baseball team. A baseball roster is 40 players while a basketball team can only have 15 players. One basketball player has to play both offense and defense

Do you guys think it's wrong how the nba is trying to fix how much one player can be worth?

You can still have the a salary cap, but if Stephen Curry is getting paid $70 million on your roster then chances are you care about marketability more than you care about winning. You'll still win games with Stephen Curry because one player in the NBA can do so much and win games but unless you have the best Moneyball management you're probably not gonna win championships. Considering how many stars there are the NBA, the most any team will ever have is 2 NBA stars and one of them would most likely have to be on a rookie deal.

#1 Brown Lost It, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    TheRealAllpro likes this.
  2. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

steven curry isn't worth a penny. getting tired of lebron sucking up to the larriors.

RocketsTruth and Fulgore like this.
  3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There should not be a max salary for players.

The salary cap for teams (that is a negotiated percentage of total league revenues) should stay.

/discussion

Easy likes this.
  4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

NBPA would never go for this. Because it means max level players take all the money and the role players and mid-level guys will play for scraps.

CP3/LeBron may be union president but the majority of the members are mid-level and bottom-level guys.

Commodore and jayhow92 like this.
  5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I can not love this enough! Pay the players what the market says they are worth. The single biggest reason there are superteams is because we artificially deflated their salary.

Red.Glare, CallMeTheDream and Easy like this.
  6. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

The market should determine what the players are worth, raise the cap by $10-$15 million and let it ride.

Guys like CJ McCollum should not be getting the max, Mike Conley is not worth $150 million

Just look at all the contracts that were handed out last off-season. Do you really think that's what should happen? That would have been the trend if the NBA did not have a down year and people did not get bored/turned off by the lack of competition/parity.

7. theh

theh Member

Thanks so much for starting this thread....

8. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Sarcasm? I did not see it posted anywhere

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't know. I have one opinion right now.

But if somehow bizzaro world happens next year and Wade, Lebron, Melo, Paul, and Harden on the team my opinion may change.

I would be curious to hear Morey's true and honest opinion.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are correct, but the superstars have driven NBA revenues to these stratospheric levels and they deserve the lion's share of the money. For the sake of union peace, they sacrifice for the greater good.

This reminds me of a thread 10+ years ago where I said the top 15 players in the NBA are worth more than the next 85. It's still true.

Why can't everyone see this so clearly?

TheRealAllpro likes this.
  11. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

LeBron was probably worth 400 million these past 10 years.

But not Curry

12. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

If the market should determine what the players are worth, the salary cap should also be removed. Don't we expect owners to properly value their labor so they can turn a profit, like any other business? They sell the salary cap as a way to drive "competitiveness" (and we have a super competitive league, right?) but the reality is that it's to artificially deflate what they have to pay players.

Which, ultimately, is fine, to be honest. Different fields work differently and no one is forced to play in the NBA (or own a team in the NBA). Playing in the NBA has its own benefits and drawbacks and the deal overall is pretty good. We should just recognize the real motivations behind these things.

13. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

14. Brown Lost It

Brown Lost It Member

Removing the salary cap at first probably isn't a good idea. you want to see what happens with a salary cap. I don't think any team is going to actually Max out LeBron and use their entire salary cap on him and sign a bunch of minimum contracts. But it would be interesting to see if that actually does happen. Would stars take less money just to play with a better team?

15. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

To be clear, I wasn't advocating for or against removing the salary cap, but there are really two dynamics deflating what superstars are worth, both the max contract and the salary cap. If we wanted to see what a player was really worth (how much the market would bear in order to make a profit off their skills), we'd need to remove both.

16. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I enjoy this type of argument. I think their should not be a max. I also think the salary cap is a good thing, though it should be hard capped unless the player you go over the cap with was drafted by your team. It incentives players staying with the team that invested in them. Do we really think Ryan Anderson should make more money than James Harden? Do we really think Golden State should have a 5-6 all star squad? I think Golden State would still be the best team in the NBA with just Curry Klay and Draymond eating the entire cap, but it is debatable.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If NBA contracts weren't guaranteed, a hard cap like the NFL might work. Since that will never happen, a soft cap with a luxury tax is probably the best way. The NBA has this right.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

They all get paid way too much. Does it even matter if it's $40MM or $70MM..

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

take that for data

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member