1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leaving the US tomorrow

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Downtown Sniper, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Well guys tonight is my last night in Houston + the United States.

Have been here since boxing day with the main reason behind the trip to watch Rockets' games.

My first was the Wizards game and managed to see the Heat, Raptors, Blazers, Jazz, Thunder, Hornets & the game last night against the Magic. (with a trip to Madison Square Garden to watch the Suns beat the Knicks last week).

We only won the Washington and Toronto game - but being at the games in person was easily the best experience of my life. Thankfully we didn't really get blown out until last night's showing.

I'm going to love going from the Winter weather here to the 40 degree (celcius) days of Sydney back in the office. :rolleyes:

Being at the games in person you see a lot more then what you do in TV. Just a few observations:

-Chris Paul after every dead ball is always talking to the officials.

-No love between the Rockets and fellow Aussie David Andersen haha - there were no hugs before or after the game.

-Kevin Durant makes scoring look so effortless - i was shocked when i realised he had 30 points at the end of the game.

-Our defense is horrendous. It sucks to say that i wasn't surprised by the ending of the Utah game with Paul Millsap.

-Dwight Howard in person... wow. His demeanour, his attitude, his physical presence. The way he and LeBron conduct themselves are worlds apart. Sitting behind the Orlando bench last night i saw a lot of him and he is great. He was always one of my favourite non-Rockets players but is miles ahead my favourite now. He interacts with people in the crowd & has a smile on his face (i guess that had to do with how the game went as well). He gets punished in the post by the defense - i've never seen Yao play in person but i can only assume he experienced the same. The NBA is terrible considering the abuse these players cop on a nightly basis - to seeing Dwyane Wade looked at wrongly and he's at the free throw line.

-Again our defense. Our interior presence is non existent. Magic players had a field day with tip ins and the overall below par effort on defense. This has been discussed in other threads so there's no need to discuss here.

-My man crush on Ish Smith only grew in the Utah game where he knocked down a couple of tear drops in traffic in the second half. I really hope he finds his way back into the Rockets' rotation and not on another team.

-The Rockets fans are terrible - leaving in the 4th quarter of games.
    Last night fans were piling out with 8 minutes left on the clock.
    I had always read how the lower bowl was where non fans sit but i never expected it to be this bad. The game at MSG really was an eye opener.
    EVERY bucket from the Knicks brought a loud cheer that would've only happened at the Toyota Centre if a buzzer beater happened to win the game. It makes you respect those on Clutchfans who are true fans and the Rowdies even more.

-The Rowdies are great. Really don't know why people complain about them. As mentioned in the thread i made after the Miami game - rocketgirl was getting stares because she was cheering loudly for the Rockets. If you're there to watch the Rockets - cheer for the Rockets - it honestly shouldn't be that hard to digest.

-Is a surreal experience to be making eye contact with all these players you idolise and only see on TV. It might be a different experience for those that attend Rockets games and functions regularly; but being from Australia and seeing hardly any Houston games - having your favourite players look at you during time outs and LeBron and Bosh looking over at you while you heckle them is unbelievable. Sounds gay... :eek: ... but being a huge NBA fan it's quite the experience for me.

These are just a few of the photos which are my favourites from the games i was here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was good to see Ariza shooting terribly.
    [​IMG]

4 people like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

This is an example of the crowd - this was near the end of the game...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is for rocketgirl - who has a peculiar desire for other team's head coaches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Nice pics! :grin:

glad you a good trip... too bad we couldnt of won more. :eek:

Hope you get home safely

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

lol at Ariza, huh?

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Looks like you had a great time.

BTW, what up with the handle?!?

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you really got a good fill of basketball during your trip! You really had some awesome seats at the games.

I agree with you about Dwight. Now that the whole Yao-Howard comparison is sort of a moot point, I will definitely be rooting for Dwight and the Magic in the playoffs. Good guy, fun player, and his interactions and attempts to learn from Hakeem really won me over on him.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Let me be the first to congratulate you on being wealthy.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think he's mentioned before that it was supposed to mean he's deadly from behind the arc and not what we're all thinking. honest mistake haha

I was thinking the same...
    he's rich beech

9. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i love this about clutchfans. you can always find something to make you lol.

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Welcome back home to Sydney Australia. You just lived my dream; to watch my Rockets play live and in person. I have loved the Rockets since the late 80's when everyone was a Lakers fan down here, and we only had 1 game replayed late on tv.

I can assure everyone reading this, if I was at a Houston game I would be cheering louder than all the rowdies put together and wouldn't leave until the cleaners were mopping up because I believe that I am the biggest fan of the Rockets on this planet.

Thanks to my facebook buddy that sent me all the team signatures and thunder sticks from Houston.

And lastly Go Rockets! Woooo hoooo!

11. J-Man

J-Man Member

WOW NICEEEEE SEATS..

12. jlwee

jlwee Member

No pics for the rockets players? U were there to watch magic and hornets or rockets played? :grin:

13. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Really cool, you should consider sharing the rest of your pics! You have some very good ones.

14. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I, too, am from Sydney and it is also my life dream to watch a live Rockets game one day. Haha, that sounds sad to someone who lives in Houston and has access to every home game lol.

I just came back from Lembourne (yes a lot closer to home) and watched the Tennis Australian Open for the very first time live. That was really fun. I got to see Djokovic and Murray.

15. BZ-B

BZ-B Member

Glad u had fun here brah

good luck with your Rockets basketball goals in 2011
    ;)

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Am I missing something here? What is the connection the Rockets have with Australia? Why some many Rockets fans from down under (no sexual connotation intended, lol)?

17. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

david andersen is michael jordan in australia and he used to play for the rox :)

18. BigSexy

BigSexy Contributing Member

It's because of David Andersen. :p
    Not sure tbh. I became a fan back early 90's because of Hakeem Olajuwon.

I'm actually bout to watch my first NBA game too! Unfortunately couldn't make it to Houston, but I'll be catching Rockets Lakers next week!

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

So you're the reason we've been losing! Get thee hence, thou albatross!

Just kidding man. I hope Texas and the USA treated you well and your experience was more enjoyable than the outcome of most of those games.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It all started in 1996.

Charles Barkley gave Shane Neal a nudge.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L3OCJBVgGHM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

skip to 4:20.

And then Charles got traded to Houston. The rest is history.