1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[League Pass] Fans can now purchase 4th quarter of NBA games

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Sep 27, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24811436/fans-purchase-4th-quarter-nba-games-league-pass

The NBA will announce on Thursday that fans can, for the first time, purchase a portion of in-progress game to watch.

Fans will be able to purchase the remainder of any out-of-market game on League Pass once the buzzer sounds to end the third quarter. The price initially will be $1.99 whether the fan buys it at the start of the quarter or to watch the last 30 seconds.

"It's a big moment, but it's also a small first step," NBA commissioner Adam Silver told ESPN on Thursday. "There are limitations in the technology right now, but we're working as quickly as possible so that, at some point in the near future, fans can choose to buy any part of any game."

By December, the league plans on giving fans the option of buying by the start of each quarter for a yet-to-be disclosed price.

"We imagine a situation where a fan has dinner at 8 o'clock and only has 30 minutes and can choose to buy a half-hour of a game," Silver said.

The league also plans on eventually selling packages of 10 minutes of real-time game action.

The price for a full game, through either Turner's B/R Live, on NBA.com or on the NBA app, still costs $6.99.

Not only will fans who have plans want to potentially purchase pieces of games, so too might gamblers, Silver acknowledged. For example, a bettor wants to see if his first half spread covers.

While prices will initially be uniform across all games based on when a game is purchased, Silver said the league hasn't ruled out dynamically pricing games based on how good they might be "just like our teams do with their tickets."

The larger NBA League Pass options include the whole season of games for $200 and an in-arena add-on for another $50. Fans can also buy a League Pass for a specific team for $120 or by the month for $18.

2. marky :)

marky :) Member

[​IMG]

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I hate this because it supports the narrative that a lot of lackadaisical basketball/NBA fans have, that only the exciting stuff happens in the fourth. It would be like if the MLS started experimenting with removing offsides from the game.

4. what

what Member

Basketball is the one sport that you want to watch the whole game along with soccer. Although the game usually comes down to the final 5 minutes of the game, basketball is entertaining just watching each play.

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Won’t be of any use to Houston fans,
    As boring wins usually happen by the start of the 3rd.......

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree, sometimes it feels odd just jumping into the middle of a game, it feels like you've missed a lot of the story of it. Who is hot, who is not, what has been working, what hasn't.

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

r/nbastreams murdered league pass.

league pass is garbage

RHU525, Swiss Roll, BigMaloe and 2 others like this.
  8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

nah, not at all.

I mean us diehard nba fans feel that way but for the most part basketball has the reputation as the sport where the first 3 quarters don't matter. All that matters in nba games is the last 5 minutes of a close game in the 4th quarter to the general public.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

To me, what's cool about league pass (if I could afford it) is watching certain teams (usually younger ones with interesting players); this wouldn't really help with that

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

pretty soon we'll be paying for highlights. i see wat you're doing silver.

malakas, Swiss Roll and juanm34 like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Neat idea as long as it doesn't affect NBA TV showing the last 2 mins of games for free. This, by itself, kills any need for League Pass.

Well, Reddit also has something to do with it. ;)

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  12. dischead

dischead Member

So confirmed the refs will keep the game close for money purposes.

pippendagimp, Swiss Roll and juanm34 like this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

no more gsw blowouts?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Did they get this idea from the live sex cam industry? Pay only for the last 5 minutes of each show.

What if it goes overtime? "Please insert another quarter for 1 more minute?"

15. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Yeah I’ll start buying games... when the nba stops fixing games like they did in the WCF!
    I cancelled my nba LP subscription after that WCF for that very reason!

16. dischead

dischead Member

This might be the exception. Kids these days love seeing steph hitting millions of 3 pointers.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Fans: We like CLOSE competitive games, full effort, no tanking

Fans: Only last quarter REALLY counts ..(An effect of having competitive close games we wanted).

To me its like demanding video games have exciting levels throughout, but just want the cheat code to the last level.

18. esketit

esketit Member

well this just depends on what sports you are into lol

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not watching entire Memphis Grizzlies game.

So many better ways to spend my time.

Swiss Roll and malakas like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You ventured into the game of soccer, tell us about it.