1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Le Matin] Clint Capela Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 10, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's okay with me Deckard if you disagree with me. You are a real gentleman, and I respect you a lot. I wasn't pleased with Clint's overall performance against GS. Draymond took his P/R away from him, and turned him into an ineffective contributor on offense for the most part. Clint did step up in Game 7, I admit. I know it's a bit unfair to expect him to overcome Draymond's physicality, but bigger players have always given him a problem, apart from DJ. He has to step up more often in similar situations. He also needs to add in more weapons on offense. He is saying the right things here. I hope he will gain confidence with time, but if he doesn't get much better, he will remain at the same level. I do like his rebounding and his shot blocking is just great. I'm not trying to say that he is not valuable.

Little Bit and Deckard like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Well said, [Google] Clint. Well said.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good that Clint speaks French. Out of all the Euro languages, French is the most athletically talented.

J.R. likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would say the Refs did more damage to him by allowing various physicality and only on one end
    but
    that was the whole series against all the Rockets

Rocket River

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The refs were a factor, but there is no doubt that Draymond defended the P/R well. That's the majority of Capela's offensive game.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Very mature. Kid always had a great mentality.

7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You chill

8. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Calm down

Fullcourt likes this.
  9. MultipleSauces

I’d like to see Capela add a face up dribble drive game and shoot threes and become a stretch five , it would diversify our offense , I think he could hit at least 33% because not many centers would be able to leave the paint when he goes outside the arc and spots up. The reason why he was less effective in the wcf is because gsw strategy was to “get into his legs” effectively not letting him jump and get that extension he needs to catch and finish the lobs

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Rocketsdreamer

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Basketballholic/Jopatmc got another account I see.

20 years old: 12.1 PER
    21 years old: 18.3 PER
    22 years old: 21.4 PER
    23 years old: 24.5 PER

Player Efficiency Rating
    James Harden • HOU 29.8
    Anthony Davis • NOP 28.9
    LeBron James • CLE 28.6
    Stephen Curry • GSW 28.2
    Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 27.3
    Kevin Durant • GSW 26.0
    Damian Lillard • POR 25.2
    LaMarcus Aldridge • SAS 25.0
    Kyrie Irving • BOS 25.0
    Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN
    Russell Westbrook • OKC 24.7
    12. Clint Capela • HOU 24.5

Offensive Rating
    Dwight Powell • DAL 128.9
    Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN 126.7
    3. Clint Capela • HOU 126.1
    Darren Collison • IND 126.0
    Chris Paul • HOU 125.9

Defensive Rating
    Andre Drummond • DET 99.0
    Rudy Gobert • UTA 99.5
    Joel Embiid • PHI 100.5
    4. Clint Capela • HOU 100.5
    Dejounte Murray • SAS 101.0

Win Shares Per 48 Minutes
    James Harden • HOU .289
    Stephen Curry • GSW .267
    Chris Paul • HOU .265
    4. Clint Capela • HOU .242
    Anthony Davis • NOP .241

Win Shares
    James Harden • HOU 15.4
    Karl-Anthony Towns • MIN 14.0
    LeBron James • CLE 14.0
    Anthony Davis • NOP 13.7
    Damian Lillard • POR 12.6
    Giannis Antetokounmpo • MIL 11.9
    LaMarcus Aldridge • SAS 10.9
    Nikola Jokic • DEN 10.7
    Kevin Durant • GSW 10.4
    Andre Drummond • DET 10.3
    11. Clint Capela • HOU 10.2

Total Rebound Pct
    1. DeAndre Jordan • LAC 26.5
    Andre Drummond • DET 26.2
    Enes Kanter • NYK 23.6
    Dwight Howard • CHO 22.2
    5. Clint Capela • HOU 22.2

Blocks Per Game

1. Anthony Davis • NOP 2.6
    2. Clint Capela • HOU 1.9

Soft you say Saleem? Maybe we can ask Rudy Gobert? You don't lead the league in rebounds and blocks, and do the thankless job of rim running like a mad man on every single possession, if you are soft.

1. Bigger players do not give him trouble. See Cousins, Embiid, Gobert, Towns, ETC. Are you just going to throw out false statements without backing them up?

2. The Warriors made a schematic decision to stop the pick and roll, leaving PJ Tucker and Trevor Ariza open to hit corner threes. Clint forced them to make that adjustment, because they feared the Harden/Clint pick and roll. At that point, the next guy needs to step up. I am absolutely baffled at what you guys expect Clint Capela to do. He completely annihilates Towns and Gobert. I mean absolutely 100 percent DEMOLISHES those guys. And then against the greatest team ever assembled, a team that schematically decides to stop our pick and roll and give up other things, we say that he needs to "step up more"? Step up more how? What are we even talking about? He essentially led the playoffs in defensive and offensive rebounding, and shot-blocking. He plays hard on both ends. What more do you want?

#31 RudyTBag, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    s3ts, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

When someone breaks the news before @J.R.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Speak French in the Congo.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Genevois.

That is very cool. Better nick than Ah Capela.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Capella has improved every year since he's been here. He was one of maybe three centers in the league that can guard players on the perimeter and protect the basket as well. Out of all of them, he is the best one at guarding perimeter players. That's extremely important with the Rockets switch on everything defensive philosophy.

His offensive style and running fit in well with the way this team plays. He sounds like he's going to take advantage of the things at which he's good and keep improving in other areas.

He steps up to every challenge they throw at him. He never backs down. I love it.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Don't blame me for any errors, blame Google Translate. Original story.
    https://www.lematin.ch/sports/basketball/clint-capela-viens/story/28017909

With a salary of more than 16 million per year (18 with bonuses) over five years, Clint Capela wins more than a Roger Federer on the courts. Just that. "Sometimes it seems unreal to me," says the Genevois. We're talking about Federer, anyway ... "And yet, thanks to four seasons where his progression has been linear, the pivot of Houston has obtained his first big contract in career. From the shy European who apologized for being there, the former junior of Meyrin emancipated to legitimately claim to be part of the caste of the best in the world.

- Clint Capela, how is your summer?

I'm glad I could settle my contractual stories. It was the big file. Otherwise, I take the opportunity to regenerate myself by doing what I want. I played nearly 100 games last season. All days are punctuated by training, video sessions and travel. So getting up in the morning and deciding what to do with my day makes me feel good. I also take the opportunity to spend a lot of time with my friends from Geneva, which I am very close. They are always the ones who come to see me in Houston. So here we reverse the roles. This solid environment allows me to be well focused and to know what I have to do.

- You do not have summer training scheduled for all these weeks?

If, of course. But when I'm in Switzerland, it's the right time to take a vacation. I'm just going to do some maintenance with body weight exercises and weight training. But no balloon. After this period without training, I will return to Houston and resume quietly. I could have mandated a coach Rockets to follow me throughout the summer. But they are guys I see all year long. Sometimes I just want to ask them to leave me alone (laughs).

- Especially after a complicated end of the season. Have you suffered from some kind of post-elimination depression?

Facing Golden State, we played a final before the time. It was pretty clear that the winner of this semifinal would go to the end. After this seventh game lost at home, I had a difficult night where I did not sleep. It was hard to digest. My relatives were present. We redid the match. But I quickly told myself that we had to move on.

- It's still not so easy to accept to see the title go under your nose as well ...

The first morning after the elimination, it was the most difficult. I was almost waiting for the video session. But the SMS never came. You get up without obligation. A kind of unemployment. At the beginning of my career, it was even harder to live. With experience I learned to say to myself, "Well, well, next year, life goes on." I did not want to overwhelm myself all summer long either. But I still could not watch the final. I did not want to see Golden State win.

- How did you live this last season before renegotiating a contract?

Like nothing ever happened. I just felt very good about myself. Honestly, I did not even think about the salary that could wait for me this summer. Often, NBA guys tend to play differently before a big contract. Some - and I will not give names - do not pass the ball and think only to score. But I understand them. It's not easy and you can think about it a lot. I focused on what I knew how to do. And against Golden State I made sure to show that I could be an important element in a good team of the league. Then, this summer, I had to be patient and wait for the right phone call.

- Ninety million, it can turn the head ...

I'am aware. I have always enjoyed a close circle very solid. I know that it is by being well surrounded that we make the right decisions. One thing is certain, I will not change because I signed a big contract. Count on me.

- Do you feel differently in Switzerland?

Yes. From year to year, it evolves. I'm always getting more congratulations and encouragement. It's something that gives me a lot of strength when I'm in Houston. I do not forget where I left. When I come back to Switzerland, the recognition of my work is something that does me a lot of good. It helps me stay disciplined and work hard. Throughout my career, I thought of Switzerland. At each stage, even in Chalon-sur-Saône, I hoped that, in my country, one notices my progress. During my first games in the NBA, I had flashbacks of the kid who was reading the "20 minutes" on the bus and dreaming of the exploits of Thabo Sefolosha. At my first dunk in Toronto, the whole room did "Wow!", I just said, "Here we go." And secretly, I hoped that in Switzerland we would see it (laughs).

- From Switzerland, we see in you an increasingly dominant player

s3ts likes this.