1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson more focused then ever after Rehab per James Harden [ESPN]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RealRocFan47, Aug 16, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hope he can replace one addiction with another

2. J Hard

J Hard Member

Man Lawsons about to help wreck the league with Houston, all haters sthu

1 person likes this.
  3. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. T4Buckets

T4Buckets Member

Last name Ever, first name Greatest

5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why do people keep expecting 15 games? Who has received a suspension that long for a DUI?

6. platypus

platypus Member

It's like some of you idiots want him to fail so you can sit there and criticize the move.

Can't please everybody i guess. *shrugs*

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Cyberx said it would be 10-15 games. Seems very excessive to me. Also, the league can't suspend him until the case has been resolved.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Expect the worst (not his first DUI rodeo. A lot of expectation that the League will 'take a stand') and hope for the best.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Lawson isn't an alcoholic. Getting ****ed up every now and then doesn't make you an alcoholic.

#29 RedRedemption, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

How do we know this?

How does anybody really know?

Was the Denver GM or coach whoever it was just tell a bald faced lie when he said Lawson was turning up to practice every day smelling of it?

11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

My expectations are low for the drunk we traded for. It kind of reminds me of when we traded Steve Francis. Don't get me wrong I hope and I'm crossing my fingers so that Ty Lawson does well.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Reading between the lines, you just called TMac a drunk?

Would explain the sleepy eyes. :p

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There was a long time that I thought the same thing .... but I was wrong.

I'm an alcoholic .... but I didn't drink daily or even weekly , often times I'd got months without a drink .... But more often than not , I'd wreck my life doing something stupid.
    When I did drink , I didn't know where to draw the line , when to quit and it always led to bad decisions .... Driving being one of those.

I ended up in a court ordered rehab telling myself I didn't have a problem and that I'd continue drinking if I felt like it , I'm no alcoholic , I don't drink very often. Like most people I had the idea that all alcoholics drink every day ...

Really the only person who can answer that question is Lawson .... but I'd like to ask him two simple questions , the same questions a counselor at rehab asked me :
    1) Can you handle the consequences of your drinking ? .... The answer was a resounding No. Hell , I'm in rehab .... not because I want to be but because its the only alternative to jail.

2) Can you predict what will happen after taking that first drink ?! Again a resounding No.
    I had no idea what would happen after I take the first drink , have one more and call it a night or kill a bottle ... or two and who knows what happens then , or if I'd even have any recollection of the events after .... if I did remember them thinking how utterly stupid I had been.

Oh the irony , the rehab facility I went to was less than a mile from the house I had grown up in , it was at one time a Holliday Inn that my friends & I would rent rooms in and throw wild parties in the mid-late 80's.

http://www.cheyennecenter.com/index.asp

During the time I was there a former NBA player was there too ...

1 person likes this.
  14. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Harden is his friend so his opinion means very little when it comes to Ty. This is also something expected, anybody would've said he's doing great from the Rockets side. Let's just see when he's actually on the court.

15. MistaK

MistaK Member

Hmmm, I bet you that if Harden had said 'I'm worried about Ty', you would have argued the following: 'Crap, if Harden his friend thinks it is bad, we are so sooo screwed'.

I don't get why everybody seems to be so worried about Lawson all of a sudden. The guy has been partying hard for many years. It has never negatively affected his on-court performance, so why would it change now? If anything, the chance to play on a contender, with seasoned vets around him, may calm him down. Really not worried about Lawson at all - can't wait to seem him play his first game as a Rocket.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he always has

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah, I'm not worried either.

It's not like the guy has been declining or something or having on court issues. He'll be fine.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you understand what an addiction is. It's not rational, and it has nothing to do with having a great chance for success in front of you. In fact, that can make things worse because there is pressure to succeed and perform.

The NBA lifestyle isn't good for someone with alcoholism.

I am sure Lawson will be on his best terms the first few months. But alcoholics can't even have one drink without it possibly all collapsing. He basically has to abstain from alcohol for the rest of his life to make it if he truly is an alcoholic.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I think his post was in regards to Lawson this upcoming season, not how he will be affected for the rest of his life.

20. MistaK

MistaK Member

Yes it was - I was simply referring to how a lot of people seem to be concerned about his on-court performance, due to his off-court issues. I'm looking at his entire career - he has been partying hard for a long time, as has been well documented and he has been fine.

Look I don't know Lawson personally and I don't know how deep his issues run. Neither do you (not talking about you xtruroyaltyx).

By all accounts he seems to be doing okay and is open to get the help he needs (whatever that may be) and the org will do everything possible to help him too. If you are open to that, that is a good sign already.

I don't know for a fact that he is an alcoholic. He may just like to party excessively from time to time. Yeah he got multiple DUIs recently, but again no article (that I have read at least) has ever stated how much over the allowed drink-drive limit he was. Maybe he is just reckless and thinks he is okay to drive. Just want to clarify that I'm not saying that this behaviour should be condoned, all I'm really saying is that we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions when we don't have all the facts.

Oh yeah, and please don't tell me that I don't know what an addiction is - I grew up with an alcoholic dad...enough said.