1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[latimes]Cassell plans to play against Lakers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Cassell would have been the PERFECT PG! for us

2. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Kinda OT but wow Tim Thomas played like this is his contract year. This guy got size, speed, nice ball-handle to pentrate and deadly 3-pointers --> the perfect 2 guard for the Houston Rockets

3. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

TT is a bum, but he is a Laker killer

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Later I'll deny ever saying this, but you guys miss Kwame! Bynum has disappeared into a sinkhole and Turiaf can't play full-time center. There are other problems but Kwame (along with Luke) is one of the players the Lakers must have to at least be mediocre. Maybe next year Bynum will take another step and be ready for 25-30 minutes every game. His decline over the course of the season has been remarkable. If he hadn't fell off a cliff the Lakers would easily be the 6th seed instead of fighting to stay out of #8.

5. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Seriously, I don't expect Lakers and Jazz to win any more of the remaining games. And these two teams are both led by HOF coaches.

The world is a mess.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Big Jake for Turiaf!

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I just want the Warriors to end up playing the Mavs in the first round, is that too much to ask? :(

Anyways, May be the Lakers will fall out (I can't believe I am actually saying this for a team that just a couple of months ago was AHEAD of the Rockets in the standings, and touted as a "Dark Horse" in the playoffs, notably by Greg Anthony who picked them as the one team that can "win it all" that everyone was apparently overlooking; that and the Chucksta's constant pimping of a very shaky Utah team will definitely come back to bite them in the arse).

Sam I Am...he still ended up pwning Charles and Reggie...some things never change. :D

Oh well, may be it will be the Clippers and the Warriors afterall...

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah if Cassell were ever the Rockets PG, he'd win two championships easily
    even coming off the bench! :rolleyes:

9. alaskansnowman

LoL. You sure about that? 2 guard? Really?

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Who cares about the Warriors?!!

Do you guys have no faith in the Rockets beating the Mavs if they meetin the playoffs? do we need another team to beat them??

dude we play well against the Mavs, we just came up short on some games.
    the TEAM we DO NOT PLAY WELL AGAINST is the Phoenix Suns.

How about rooting for them to getting beat??

Rooting for the Warriors instead of rooting for FORMER ROCKET LEGEND SAM CASSELL??? F#$#@$@ THAT !!!

GO CLIPS!

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Historians need to rewrite the books on the Rockets Championships
    give a couple paragraphs to legends Sam and Robert
    the last members of CLUTCH CITY CHAMPIONSHIPS are still playing. we should root for them!

Cassell carries team on his ailing back
    By ART THOMPSON III
    The Orange County Register
    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/homepage/article_1651645.php
    LOS ANGELES
    Corey Maggette saved his best game for the most critical time in the Clippers' season. Elton Brand stepped up big, as he typically does, in big games.

But all their work would have gone for naught Thursday night had veteran Sam Cassell not entered in the fourth quarter and worked the magic that has been an earmark of his 14-year career.

The Clippers, trailing by as many as 17 points and down by 10 points four minutes into the fourth quarter, embarked on a 17-1 run to a victory that had Cassell's fingerprints all over it.

For the Clippers, it was only the start of what could take five consecutive victories down the stretch to lock up a playoff berth.

Maggette scored a career-high 39 points and just missed a career-first triple double, with nine assists and eight rebounds. Brand had a 32-point, 12-rebound double-double, along with a season-high-tying seven assists.

And Cassell? With the season on the line for the Clippers, he took a chance on his balky back, and played for the first time in nearly two weeks. Turning a page back to last season, when he orchestrated the fourth quarter, Cassell finished with 12 points, three rebounds and three assists in 19 minutes. Most important, according to Clippers' coach Mike Dunleavy, Cassell controlled the tempo in the fourth quarter.

"That's Sam," said teammate Tim Thomas, who also played with Cassell in Milwaukee. "He has the heart of a tiger. He's such a competitor. Nothing pretty much fazes him."

Maggette's career-best scoring night took a back seat to his stellar defensive performance. He finished with four steals and was active all game in the team's half-court, defensive rotations. Dunleavy acknowledged that it was Maggette's finest defensive performance this season.

"He was terrific," Dunleavy said. "He was playing the passing lanes, he was aggressive. It was exactly what we needed."

The bulk of Maggette's nine assists were carried out by Brand, who made 12 of 23 shots, mainly on turnaround jumpers on the block, off post entry passes.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys hope for Warriors to give the Mavs trouble? The difference is like throwing a stone and throwing a pebble at a charging elephant. Don't bother. It really doesn't matter who play the Mavs in the 1st round.

The sinister me want to see the Lakers miss the playoffs. But then the more sinister me want to see the Lakers miss the lottery and get embarrassed in the 1st round.

tinman, I am cheering the Clippers all the way. They are my 2nd favorite team behind the Rockets.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

hey Easy,
    you ever listen to Kenny on Sirius Full Court Press?
    There's this dude ERIC "EASY" from Houston who calls all the time. is that you?
    he talks about the Rockets alot.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith Know How to Motivate Sam Cassell
    http://nba.aolsportsblog.com/2007/0...kenny-smith-know-how-to-motivate-sam-cassell/
    Posted Apr 13th 2007 2:36AM by Nate Jones
    Filed under: Clippers, Lakers, Western, NBA Last Night, Los Angeles

Much of the Clippers' struggles this season are due to injuries to 14 year veteran, Sam Cassell. As anyone that watched the Clippers last season knows, Cassell is the heart and soul of that team. Sam has had issues with his back, hamstrings, and hip this season. Injuries had kept Sam out of thirteen of the Clippers previous twenty games. Surprisingly, Sam was able to suit up last night against the Lakers. In the first half, it was obvious that Sam was both injured and out of synch, as even the lowly Smush Parker seemed free to have his way with him. Sam played so badly in the first half that it prompted Kenny Smith and Charles Barkley to give a eulogy like speech about Cassell at halftime. Good thing the Clippers had the half time show on in their locker room.

At the start of the second half, an obviously peeved Cassell, instructed TNT sideline reporter Cheryl Miller to let Kenny, Charles and everyone else know that he wasn't quite washed up yet. Sam would later prove that he did indeed have something left in the tank, as he led the Clippers charge to overtake the Lakers double digit fourth quarter lead. Despite having little mobility, he confidently blew by Smush Parker over and over again in the fourth quarter, and ignited his entire team with his swagger. Led by Sam, the Clippers would go on to overcome the Lakers lead and secure an ever important victory in their quest to make the playoffs.

Lakers and Warriors fans can thank the TNT studio crew for waking a sleeping giant and making their teams' quest to make the playoffs that much more difficult.

15. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I dont mind them playing the Mavs either. Heck, if the Clippers can beat the Mavs, let them get the #8 spot, I dont care.

Greg Anthony said the lakers could go to the finals last year. I wouldnt listen to what he's saying. He's biased for whatever strange reason.

Thing with the Lakers is, they had an easy home schedule for a good 25 games or so and it was fools gold.

They havent won against a team over .500 since what that Utah game at Staples. Not good.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It's not about that at all, I am simply rooting for a better matchup in the first round, not hoping that the Warriors would somehow beat the Mavs (although that would be a welcomed bonus). GSW vs. Mavs is simply a better first round series than Clips vs. Mavs...it's that simple, really.

I love Sam, I love Horry, but I am not about to root for the Spurs anytime soon...unless they're playing Dallas, that is.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, I never call radio shows.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Total BS! That's just perception. Who on the GSW has championship experience ? Who on the Clips has 2 rings? Who almost beat Phoenix last year?

GO Clips!

19. armyman789

armyman789 Member

lol the thought of that turns me on....

20. armyman789

armyman789 Member

the warriors are undefeated against the mavs so it is not "total BS." plus those were quality wins, back when the maverics were in the middle of their torrid streaks and GS stopped 2 of them.