1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vegas Thinks We are 3rd in the West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Wolf, Oct 2, 2013.

1. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/2/4793168/nba-odds-win-totals-miami-heat-clippers-suns

"There's money involved, so it means that these numbers are serious business."

"Here are the full rankings:"

Team Over / Under
    Miami Heat 60
    Los Angels Clippers 57
    Chicago Bulls 56.5
    San Antonio Spurs 55.5

Houston Rockets 54.5
    Indiana Pacers 53.5
    Brooklyn Nets 52.5
    Oklahoma City Thunder 50.5
    Golden State Warriors 49.5
    New York Knicks 49.5
    Memphis Grizzlies 49
    Denver Nuggets 47
    Dallas Mavericks 44
    Washington Wizards 42
    Detroit Pistons 41
    Minnesota Timberwolves 41
    Cleveland Cavaliers 40.5
    Atlanta Hawks 40
    New Orleans Pelicans 40
    Portland Trailblazers 38.5
    Toronto Raptors 36.5
    Los Angeles Lakers 33.5
    Sacramento Kings 31.5
    Milwaukee Bucks 28.5
    Boston Celtics 28.5
    Charlotte Bobcats 27.5
    Utah Jazz 27.5
    Orlando Magic 24.5
    Phoenix Suns 21.5
    Philadelphia 76ers 16.5

2. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Or it means that they think setting the rockets o/u at 54.5 will bring in the most money, at least.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Houston thinks we are 1st.:grin:

4. Karolik

Karolik Member

Vegas not always right. look what happened with the Lakers. I do hope they are though

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Safe assumption is we are the 4th best team in the conference. OKC has one more year of development under their belt. Clippers had 56 wins and got better. Spurs are Spurs. I could definitely see us being better than the Spurs who are eventually going on a downswing.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

7. jocar

jocar Member

8. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

People have been saying that about the Spurs for a long time, and they just keep chugging along. They groomed a young Tony Parker to take over the load of a declining Duncan. They bring in young talent like Kawhi Leonard to pick up the slack for aging players. They will always be a perennial threat as long as they have Coach Pop. People keep saying they'll be on the downswing, and yet they constantly surprise. They won't be out of it till Pop retires, he's their entire organization in a nutshell.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I've taken the over on the Rockets for 3 years in a row and have been paid off nicely. Especially last year when they had us at 31.5 initially after the Harden trade, which was ridiculous. I had already bet beforehand when it was 28.5, which we would've beaten even without Harden. Once the Harden trade went down I doubled down heavily. That's not to include some Clutchfans tip jar bets:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=7273523&postcount=153

This year is the first time in a while where I'm going to leave the Rockets alone. I think we can beat the 54.5, but the line isn't anything ridiculous like the past few years. Factoring in injuries and it is very fair. I think we end up around 57 wins.

The lines I really like are:

Warriors 49.5 Over
    Hawks 40 Over
    Grizzlies 49 Over
    Wolves 41 Over
    Nuggets 47 Under

Iguodala is being really underrated, he is a huge impact player and people just have a hard time quantifying defense. Coaching is being overrated with Grizzlies: Rockets did not lose a beat after letting go of Adelman. Josh Smith and Millsap are a wash, both hugely underrated players, no idea why the Hawks are so low.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

When I lived in San Antonio, Gregg Popovich repeatedly stated he would retire when Tim Duncan retires. We shall see.

On another note for my upcoming Las Vegas trip, if I put $20 dollars on the Rockets winning the NBA title this year, what my winnings be? (I know, I know, probably nothing, but I am assuming the Rockets will win it all.)

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

With WB re-injuring his knee, I think we are 2nd in the West behind ONLY the Spurs.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Vegas ranking the Clippers at #1 is ludicrous though, they will be #4 again.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I gambled, I'd take the under on the Clippers. Best team in the West? No.

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I was looking forward to taking the under on OKC before these odds came out. Was thinking Westbrook was going to come back slow much like Jeremy Lin last year, and now they have no bench. This latest setback news on Westbrook really killed any action now that they are 50.5, though.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Why? Seeding is irrelevant. They won 56 last year and had some offseason additions, now their over/under is 57. That line is perfectly fair.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Blazers over
    Hawks over
    T-Wolves over

Nuggets under

Would take Warriors over if not for Curry/Bogut health concerns. Did take Warriors last year, regardless, but only because the line was way low.

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

4th and 1st were separated by 4 games last year. It was a total crap shoot as to who would win the west. I don't think the Clippers will be 1st this year, but there's nothing ludicrous about it at all.

18. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

10 more wins seem like a safe bet at first but then I remember that we won a few games last yearagainst teams dealing with injuries. There'll be similar issues for teams this season, no question but I wonder if our good fortunes with injured teams continues this season. Then again, Harden missed a few games and so did Parsons if I'm not mistaken.

Also, a bunch of teams seem to be gunning for that No. 1 Draft pick.

55 it is.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

IMHO the safest over is the Utah Jazz. Not even Denver has as large of a home court advantage. If I remember correctly the home court advantage for the Jazz is above 12 games per year. Utah could easily win 25 games at home next season.

20. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Los Angeles Lakers at 33.5 is bit low, don't you think? Kobe's not dead yet. They've got Paul Gasol and Nash as well.