1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Las Vegas is in serious talks to host the NBA's All-Star weekend

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Fegwu, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

This is my last thread for today in NBA Dish.....I promise :D

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Las Vegas wants a team pretty bad.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It sure seems like it. But it seems that a franchise in the gambling capital of the world would be doomed from the start. I remember Stern saying somewhere that this was the main reason why they didn't want a team in Vegas, it would basically just be for people to bet on.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

People bet on the NBA all the time in Vegas without a team there, so I don't see what difference a team would make in terms of gambling.

I think the NBA would work great in Vegas. The NBA has always thrived in small market cities where the NBA team is the only major pro team. Move the Hornets there...god knows nobody in New Orleans wants to watch them...

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The theory was that a team in Vegas in any pro sport would be susceptible to point shaving, game fixing, etc - which dates back to the days when Vegas was run by the mob and that type of thing was more prevalent. But even later on, you don't want pictures of your players in a hot tub with Richard "the Fixer" Perry.

Also I think the fact that it's "sin city" and basically built around gambling, liquor, whores & drugs would probably lead to embarrassing off the court incidents for a league that want to avoid such.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I thought Vegas was trying to change it's image, community subdivisions are sprouting up in bunches there. I'm sure they'll never shake the reputation as Sin City, but they are really trying to push the idea that you can raise your family there like in any suburban American city.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Why don't they put the arena in Henderson then, making them the Henderson Lighting or something. That way, the team would be in the community and for the community. If it was along the strip, every game would be like comps for tourists and stuff.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Hell, three out of the four of those are in NYC!

9. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

hmmmm.... Vegas....... strip clubs, legalize prositution.... some NBA guys would definetly have a great time at all star weekend

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You acting as if NBA players have to pay for sex. I can think of one case of that happening, James Worthy in H-town.

11. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

please eloberate

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

They don't pay for sex. They pay for the professionalism (No, I got pregnant, you raped me, you gave an STD - give me $1M dollars). Besides it would be cheaper in the long run - Ask Kobe what he thinks. ;)