1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

larry wilmore show cancelled

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jo mama, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

jesus christ dude. calm down. I was just asking what attraction you had to a show and why you WANTED to like it when you didn't. there are sci fi shows I have wanted to like because of style or premise but they sucked. Comedy shows are more simple. laugh or not.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Wilmore's done a lot of other top shelf comedic writing, so they wanted it to be popular enough that he would get more chances to write stuff as good as the stuff they'd seen before, elsewhere. Or they wanted to like the show, as a mechanism for deploying Wilmore's writing, but realized this copy was not very good. Program directors are probably in the same predicament between pitching a show or production team, then having to cut or pickup the actual pilot.

I wanted to like She Devil, since Meryl Streep was in it, but a love triangle between her, Roseanne Barr and Ed Begley Jr. doesn't make me not vomit.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I gave it many chances and it just wasn't funny. His panels weren't funny. His team wasn't funny. Nothing about it was funny.

I never found him funny in the past, though. Now, Jessica Williams is a different story. I think she's hilarious. I'm looking forward to see what she does next.

4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

sorry I completely mistook the meaning of your question especially since I said I did like it - I just wanted to like it more. Kind of like my ex-girlfriend.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I wanted to like it because for 9 years I found my sanity though the biting satire of the Comedy Channel shows. It was like finding brotherhood in a sea of zombies. Colbert and Stewart (and their writing teams) were smart and held the same ethics I find to be the moral high ground.

It felt somehow.'important'. But then Jon left, exhausted from ripping through the zombie horde, and there were still just more zombies.

So I went with Colbert to the lighter side. It's an hour of entertainment and I am usually delighted by his guests. People I would never have had an idea about if they hadn't been on his show. He showed some of his old fury during the conventions but with Trump pretty much over, I think he will ease off the politics again.

I used to watch The Daily show and Colbert Report back to back recorded the previous day with dinner, now I just do The Late Show.

The Daily Show and Nightly Show dropped way way back on my watching priority list.

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

It was a stone cold lock that every night I would watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report 20 minutes behind the live showing so I could skip the commercials. I don't recall even an average show by either of them, they were amazing. I have no sat through more than a single show since Noah took over and caught some bits and pieces of Wilmore's. I didn't think either of them were funny, which sucks because Wimore's reporting on the Daily Show a while back were some of the funniest skits I had seen.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you come at the dog and you're bound to get bit brah!

i get what he said though and i felt the same. we gave it more than a fair chance b/c of his predecessor, but its just not the same anymore.

you cant replace colbert though...he was doing something entirely different than the daily show/nightly show format. he was playing a character and using that character to highlight the absurdity of people who think and act like that...it was truly sublime. nightly show is only different from daily show in their use of the panel discussions, which 90% of the time are boring. so why even bother having both of them.

as for the daily show, noah basically cut the balls off it.

the first half of colberts CBS show is as close you are going to get to the run him and stewart had.

#27 jo mama, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We were exactly the same way. I put the previous night's shows on in the late afternoon after our two kids were home from school and we sat and watched them, cracking up and enjoying the satire sprinkled with truth. Grown up now, they're political views are just what Daddy hoped for.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Wilmore's panels and guests were awful.

I still watch the daily show on a regular basis but Noah definitely fails to connect with his audience. He's not believable as an everyman figure who's opinions are surrogates for the viewers. I don't for a second buy Noah reacting to things (/being outraged) at the same things I do or would expect to. That and there's an obvious disconnect with his writing. Everytime he does a mock black gangster/rap reference or tries to talk earnestly about something an African-American would face I think 'despite you being black you're not pulling this material off any better than a white south african would'

10. Buck Turgidson

Well, but you only had to like either of them for less than 30 minutes, right?

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I mean, if you cut out the commercials and foreplay... it's only like 5 minutes

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

His show wasn't good. That's why it's being cancelled.
    Trevor Noah isn't good.

The only one that is really good is Oliver with This Week Tonight.

Oh and agreed about Simmons. Don't really even care for The Ringer much either. Not sure why. Loved Grantpand. Ringer just seems off from the get go. That color scheme is horrendous.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree about needing an American host. Even though liberal viewers try to be multi-cultural, its still very much 'MERICA branded liberalism at the end. Yes Colbert is Canadian not American, and he surely is qualified. But I think going Non-American presented too much unknown with an already unknown.

I think you just got to put the sarcastic American relatable face with the American sarcastic viewer. Where all sides are kind of in touch with each other.

#33 Shroopy2, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Colbert is from South Carolina.

I get enough liberal satire fix to feel smug ad superior from just The Late Show,
    John Oliver and Samantha Bee, They go beyond just Trump and FAUX news, the easy dick jokes of political satire.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Showoff.

Colbert is Canadian? He was going to be on the presidential ballot in SC just 8 years ago. Can't do that being a Canuck.....

wait a minute...

[​IMG]

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

They need to give the time slot to Vic Berger. Grrr,baby.