1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Sanders, anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Jan 26, 2017.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

We can agree on that point. I'm just saying Smoove lost athleticism. We don't need another undersized big. We need someone that can defend traditional bigs. I'm confident Dekker and Trez can fill the role we wanted Josh to fill.

Pen15clubber and Jatman20 like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Perhaps, but I'm hoping that either Dek and/or Trez will be used to sweeten a deal to acquire another impact player. Rockets could really use one right now. Smoove would be insurance signing if that happens. Again, not wanting Josh Smith to be a starter or every game rotation player.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Josh smith used to be that 4 that was more athletic and a matchup nightmare for all the other slower pf's years ago. Those days are now completely over. He's not the guy who can matchup well with how active bigs are now especially with increasing perimeter play. He lost huge steps in his athleticism and he can no longer use that to his advantage on a nightly basis. He never had that great of a basketball iq nor any real elite skill. He isn't a reliable NBA player any longer.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Time for the Rockets to have a Cavs-Like Free Agent Mini-Camp. Invite Larry Sanders, Mario Chalmers, Jarrett Jack, Lance Stevenson, Kirk Hinrich, Alonzo Gee, Archie Goodwin, Jimmer Fredette, Norris Cole, Tony Wroten, Nick Johnson and Gary Payton II. We need help, fast.

#164 RocketsTerps, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Again, your opinion is not the important one here. And also, not expecting to sign peak Smoove from ATL days. Advocating to sign Josh to friendly (i.e. Cheap) contract to sit at end of bench and only bring him into game in event of emergency or to go Super Saiyan for a game or two in post season. As for him being decrepit, guy is only 30 years old and his skill set is tailor made for MDA system as small ball 5 or a 4 in spurts.

Josh would be an upgrade over a tired Nene, cold Dekker, inept Brewer and KJ devoid of confidence. Josh is still capable of going nuclear in any given game, on offense AND defense. That is much more than can be said about our scrubs who are not even trusted to get rotation minutes on an obviously weary Rockets team.

HTX Ninja likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wish we still had Beasley.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Highlight video of him in China means nothing. There's a reason why he's over in the first place. The fact that you point out him only being 30 makes it even worse as again he's over there for a reason. Josh smith was playing at a min contract a little over a year ago and still wasn't worth it. His play was absolutely horrible. Why do people think all these players are some kind of perfect fit for MDA. Josh smith sucks at 3s, has bad iq, no longer active athletically, doesn't sound tailor made at all to me . There really isn't anything to support what you think he can do in this league as of today. His most recent days here does though and that his days in the NBA are over

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't get the China snobbery. Yao was a first pick in draft, hall of famer, who played in and for China. Mudiay was another lottery pick drafted straight out of China. Beasley was signed by Rockets after China stint. Aaron Brooks, JR Smith, Patty Mills and everyone's favorite SF trade target, Chandler Wilson, all played in China. There are a multitude of ex-NBA players and hopefuls who are using China as springboard back to NBA.

So forgive me if your opinion does not sway me whatsoever.

9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

This video tells me we need to scout Yi Jilian. Not a slow, below the rim, older, fatter version of Josh Smith. If you are Smoove, my bad man. You had a nice run my G.

D-rock likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Buh..buh..but he plays in China!?!!?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not trying to sway you. Doesnt really make a differnce to me. Im just telling it like it is. You can keep hoping he makes his way back here in the league and be effectiv but he likely wont

12. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I'm not the one who said anything disparaging about playing in China. I just said Josh can't effectively play in the NBA anymore. Josh Smith came out of high school to the NBA. Michael Beasley and all the other folks you mentioned were much younger with less NBA miles. Smoove is about ready for Ice Cubes 3-on-3 league.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not really directed at you. As for Yi, Zhou Qi is the better player even right now. Qi is longer, better skilled and more consistent on both O and D.

Liked the 3-3 league comment and you could be right, or not. Terry and Prigs were ready for that league too but were still effective NBA players when used properly.

RocketsTerps likes this.
  14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.woelfelspressbox.com/blog-entry/91/larry-sanders-could-be-back-in-the-nba-soon

Larry Sanders could be back in the NBA soon

It’s Larry Sanders intentions to play for an NBA team yet this season.

It’s highly unlikely the team will be the Milwaukee Bucks.

Sanders, the former Bucks’ starting center who decided to walk away from the game in February of 2015, recently announced plans to resume his NBA career. Sanders’ agent, Joel Bell, said several teams have shown interest in his client but not the only NBA team he’s ever played for.

“I haven’t heard from the Bucks,’’ Bell said in a telephone interview.

Sanders, who is now 28, appeared to be one of the game’s up-and-coming centers after nearly compiling a double-double of 9.8 points and 9.5 rebounds for the 2012-2013 season. The 6-foot-11 Sanders also emerged then as one of the NBA’s best rim protectors, averaging 2.8 blocked shots a game.

His productive play and potential prompted Bucks general manager John Hammond to give Sanders a fully-guaranteed four-year, $44 million contract. But after a series of off-the-court and on-court issues and playing just 27 games the following season, Sanders stunned the basketball world by quitting.

Sanders agreed to a financial settlement with the Bucks, who used the then “stretch provision’’ clause to pay him approximately $1.9 mllion annually through the 2021-2022 campaign.

Bell said Sanders, who lives in Los Angeles, has been diligently working out with a trainer in Florida and added Sanders’ decision to resume his basketball career wasn’t a rash one or motivated by money since he’ll continue to collect yearly payments from the Bucks regardless of whether he signs a new contract with another team.

“He’s been training for about six months now,’’ Bell said. “Physically, he’s almost there. Mentally and spiritually, he is there.

“He doesn’t need to come back; he wants to come back to the NBA. Sometimes you don’t miss something until you don’t have it.’’

Bell said interest in Sanders, whom the Bucks made the 15thoverall selection in the 2010 draft, has increased since he publicly disclosed his desire to play again.

“My phone has been ringing very frequently,’’ Bell said.

Two NBA officials contacted Thursday both said some team will likely sign Sanders to a pro-rated salary for somewhere around $300,000 for the rest of the season. Asked which teams could be potential landing spots for Sanders, the officials mentioned Dallas, Houston, Boston, New Orleans and Minnesota.

League sources said several teams have also contacted some Bucks employees in recent weeks, seeking additional information about Sanders.

Interested parties will have the opportunity to see Sanders up-close and personal next week in Miami. Bell said Sanders will be available for workouts and interviews with NBA officials.

“By the end of next week, we should have a reasonably good handle on where this is going,’’ Bell said.

D-rock and DonKnock like this.
  15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it

HakeemOnlyFan and D-rock like this.
  16. Fantasma Negro

Dallas-sucks
    Boston- could work
    New Orleans- too many big men
    Minnesota- too many big men
    Houston is obviously the desired destination and the ideal situation. If Trez is traded for a wing then Sanders can take those minutes. His agent didn't want to seem overzealous that's why he listed them second

Pen15clubber likes this.
  17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Boston has already said they're not interested so it's already down to NOLA, Minny, and us

18. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Obviously you want to see the Rockets work him out first before outright signing him. I wanna know why Boston wasn't all impressed with Sanders. Probably because he hasn't played the game in a while. It'll take some time for his body to get in NBA shape.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. Fantasma Negro

Minny, and the pels both have five big men and the rox are the only one that can guarantee him playing time and a chance at a playoff run

DonKnock likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

why is houston included? haven't seen anything that says the Rockets are even interested