1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Johnson released. Texans need him.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I dunno how old he is but I think we should take a chance on him for the rest of the season. He's a big back that could move the chains. Sure he has off field issues but he's better than any of the RB we have right now.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's got some pretty serious issues off the field. His comments probably scare off a straight arrow owner like Bob McNair.

Not to mention it is debatable whether he is still any good.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He's a cancer.

And he's too slow off the snap to hit the hole. The same problem we have with Chris Brown. By the time they've accelerated, the interior defense is already there. Defensive lineman and linebackers are too fast these days to not have a quick footed back.

Why do you think a quicker-footed (yet old) back like Ahman Green is still getting calls while guys like Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James aren't getting chances after what were great careers? The years caught up with them and they just couldn't accelerate like they used to.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

There's no need for him now. We have Slaton, that imo has hit his sophomore wall hard, the quick big play back that can get back to his rookie status when he gets his fumbling issues straightened out.

And we have Moats that has shown he can work his way into the endzone on the goal line and can split carries with Slaton. Brown can spell the two and as stated above by DieHard, he is pretty much the same as LJ.

He'll get picked up, but def. not by us....

5. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

We don't need him. What we do need is an upgrade to Chris Myers.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I say go after him. Texans running game stinks right now. Johnson would cost you only the league minimum. This is his lance chance to prove he still has some gas left in the tank. Chiefs are a terrible team right now. Their offensive lineman is one of the worst in the league. Texans got Bernard Pollard after he was cut by the Chiefs and he has probably been the Texans 2nd best defensive player behind Cushing. Texans don't need him to be a starter just someone who get short yards and as a goal line type back. I think he is worth the risk. There a lot of teams in the playoff hunt who need a running back such as Philadelphia, Green Bay, New England, and Houston so I think he will find a job soon.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I second this. Texans should go hard after him and release Chris Brown.

8. MykTek

MykTek Member

i think ron artest was worst then LJ and look how good he was for the rockets last year, Texans should be able to handle him...

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

GIT IT DONE SMITH!!!

10. DieHard Rocket

Larry Johnson had 2 good years (2005 and 2006) behind one of the best o-line's in recent history including Will Shields, Willy Roaf, Brian Waters, and Casey Wiegmann. He got paid after 2006, and while KC obviously went on a downward spiral he also only played 20 games in two years.

The guy was never as good as his numbers indicated in the first place (still was a good 1000 yd rusher but not athletic enough to sustain that), and he is a disaster in the locker room. And he turns 30 in two weeks. Moats and Slaton are far better goal line backs. Our problem in short yardage is the interior o-line, not the backs. Except for Chris Brown's fumble.

And oh, by the way, LJ fumbled 5 times last year in 12 games.

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Bengals took a chance on Cedric Benson last year and you could make a case that he is a candidate for league MVP so far this year. I know Johnson is three years older than Benson and has a lot more carries but your not expecting Johnson to be your everydown back. Benson had terrible numbers with the Bears. Johnson did have 4.5 ypc last year so I think he still could help your team. I doubt the Texans have interest in him because of they stay away from players with off the field trouble and that's fine with me. However, I know if they could go back in time, they would have signed Cedric Benson last year before the Bengals did.

12. DieHard Rocket

The Texans worked out, interviewed, and made an offer to Benson last offseason. He chose to sign with the Bengals over them.

Bad comparison though. Benson has much quicker feet and runs lower to the ground. He would've put up similar numbers as Johnson in KC in '05 and '06.

If you look at LJ's numbers last year, even though he averaged 4.5 ypc, he only came out of 4 games with an average of 4.0 ypc or better. Basically, he blew up against 3 bad defenses (ATL, DEN, and BUF) ... and they were playing from behind and ended up losing in 3 of his 4 big games anyway, so surely the defenses were playing the pass.

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree that the Chiefs had one of the best lines in history in 2005 and 2006. However the last two years their offensive line has been terrible with players like NFL journeyman like Wade Smith, Mike Goff, and draft bust Branden Albert. All I am saying he isn't any worse than Chris Brown so he makes the Texans a better team. I don't think Moats and Slaton are not better goal line backs right now than Johnson even though is 30.

14. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Texans had a chance to sign Cedric Benson during the 2008 season before he signed the Bengals but they didn't because they though Ahmen Green and Ryan Moats were better backups. You could nitpick his stats all you want but how do you know that the defenses were playing the pass? Give the guy some credit.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd rather have Shaun Alexander or something.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Would be shocked if the Texans went after LJ. I agree with everyone that we could use him and is a big upgrade over Chris Brown but Bob Mcnair is scared to sign someone that has a history of off the field trouble.

17. Landlord Landry

literally anything you say after this post is irrelevant. you obviously do not know what you are talking about.

18. DieHard Rocket

He's not "scared". He's holding his players, coaches, and employees to a high standard. Something that any good, honest owner of any business should do.

19. Landlord Landry

more troublesome than LJ beating women, is the fact that HE WEARS A PINK WATCH!!!

[​IMG]

DO NOT WANT!!

20. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I rather have Domanick Davis back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.