1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Larry Coon] Houston cap situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Apr 3, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, posted that here.

2. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

You people advocating trading Lin is stupid. Don't mess with something that's working. Lin play a huge part to the success of the Rockets offense. Without him engineering and pushing the ball up, i don't see how anyone can get easy shots. Did you see how many football passes he threw up for someone down the floor for easy layups?? That's not easy to do. And him penetrating and create shots for teammates...i doubt Beverley can do that as well as Lin at a high rate. Unless, you're talking about getting Chris Paul...there is no way you should get rid of Lin because he engineer this offense. Without him, every possession is going through Hardin and that's going to put too much burden on him and that's why you see a lot of turnovers earlier in the season. Now Hardin learn to defer to Lin and trust his ability to create open shots for his teammates. Lin and Asik is very important for the success of this team. Don't be stupid and screw up for something that you have no idea. We basically just need a PF like Josh Smith or Howard. And we can get them by getting rid of TRob and Francisco.

3. alethios

alethios Member

LOL, I have avoided the Fire McHale threads. If the record were reversed, I'd think about it.

1 person likes this.
  4. basketballholic

I want to be clear here about how I feel about Lin. I really, really like him and his game a lot. I am NOT in favor of trading Lin UNLESS one situation exists and that is that Dwight wants to play here with Chris Paul and Harden. I would much rather prefer to have Dwight here with Harden and Lin and wait on Kevin Love to be available and have a starting 5 of:

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Dwight
    Love

than to have the lineup of:
    Paul
    Harden
    Parsons
    Dwight
    whatever

That's how much I like Lin.

But....if Dwight coming here only occurs if Chris Paul comes here then I am all for trading Lin to get Dwight and Chris Paul in here.

One aspect of this whole Dwight saga that is being underplayed is the value of guys like Lin and Parsons around him. Those are two clean living boys. They are character-wise what Dwight ideally wants to become, what he thought he was before he got all tripped up with all the chicks. They have a deep-seeded Christian faith that bleeds over into their personalities. I like it. And I know Dwight likes and respects it. And in the locker room, off the court, and even on the court when the game is in hand, those guys are clowning. They are highly, highly competitive, have tremendous drives to win, but they also are good, clean, fun-loving guys. That kind of envionment is what Dwight craves, a fun-loving prank and joke-filled environment combined with a winning attitude. That's Dwight's persona. It's waiting for him here.

5. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Bad article by coon, there's many ways to create the cap room that he didnt address. Perhaps he's was just analyzing the immediate cap room ( ie cap room available immediately without doing much work by trading etc)

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

the rockets aren't as good as they need to be. fans are over excited about the rockets season record but they're only 3-4 losses from missing the playoffs.

it'll be back to reality when/if they play the first round.

7. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

A little off topic, but guess who is the highest paid player on the Rockets this year?

It's not Harden

It's Francisco Garcia. LOL.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Parsons is a lock but I see the team trying to retain Greg Smith, Patrick Beverly and maybe Delfino but everyone else seems expendable.

A shame we didn't get Brooks at the start of the season, he probably would be our backup PG if he had more time in the season then Beverly.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think you try to trade Asik for a PF after Dwight signs. You probably move one of the PF's for a draft pick to clear the cap room needed.

10. platypus

platypus Member

The rockets are 10 games above .500 and have the least experienced roster in the league. In contrast the lakers have arguably four hall of famers on their roster and are struggling to make the playoffs.

I'd say fan reaction is merited, and it will be at an all time high regardless if we do well or fizzle in the playoffs.

11. jeffyisme

jeffyisme Member

This is true. There are a lot of scenarios where the Rockets can simply trade player(s) for picks or essentially nothing (trade exception) to create enough cap space to sign DH12 outright as a free agent.

There's ZERO incentive for both the Lakers and DH12 to agree to a S&T deal since (1) the max $$$ he'll get is the same (2) if the Lakers can't resign DH12 they would probably just let him walk unless they can receive player(s) that actually help them rebuild (DH12 gone & Kobe near retirement & lack of picks).

Both are incorrect.

(1)
    The RECEIVING teams can not receive a player, who is signed and traded, if the trade puts them over the apron afterward. The Lakers are well over the apron, which means they can NOT receive a signed-and-traded player. Delfino, or any player for that matter, can't be signed and traded to the Lakers.

(2)
    So the conclusion is that, the teams over the apron CAN
    (a) sign and trade any of THEIR player(s) away.
    (b) receive player(s) who are part of the deal, but not signed and traded themselves.

But they CANNOT receive player(s) who are signed and traded.

==

My answer is the same.
    (1) A DH12 <-> Asik S&T (assuming the Lakers & the DH12 camp agree): legal.
    (2) Delfino <-> any player(s) from the Lakers: illegal.

12. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

We can get Howard without losing any of our core or main role-players. There's no reason not to do it if we can pull it off. Howard may have some baggage, but it'll look a lot lighter than it currently does once he's in a healthy team environment.

13. basketballholic

Even if the Lakers don't get any players in a S&T, it really is in their best interest to S&T him if he is going to leave. They would get the largest TPE in history of over $20 million. That helps them with future trade flexibility.

14. basketballholic

However if Dwight agrees to sign with another team, a S&T is highly unlikely because there is no incentive for a team to help the Lakers by giving them a TPE they can use down the road to make them better unless possibly the team signing Dwight is in the East and they think that giving the Lakers a TPE will incentivize the Lakers to increase their payoll and subsequent luxury tax that they can collect on.

So a S&T is unlikely UNLESS the Lakers incentivize the deal by giving additional value in the form of a draft pick or cash or some other player asset (they don't have) to the team Dwight is going to.

15. dyknow

dyknow Member

Apparently you can't get more money via a S&T? If so why would you want one as the traded player unless it's necessary to create cap space? Even Melo may have thought twice about gutting the Knicks of Gallo and Wilson Chandler before forcing a trade if he couldn't get more money and if the Knicks weren't hopelessly capped out anyway.