1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Larry Brown to meet with SMU

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikeyharris, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown will interview with SMU on Saturday for the Mustangs' coaching vacancy, a source told ESPN.com senior writer Andy Katz.

Marquette associate coach Tony Benford will also meet with SMU on Saturday to discuss the opening, the source said.

SMU fired Matt Doherty on March 13 after six seasons.

Brown's last job was as coach of the Charlotte Bobcats, which ended in 2010, his seventh NBA job since leaving Kansas after winning the 1988 NCAA championship.

Brown told ESPN.com's Dana O'Neil last month he wanted to return to basketball.

"I'm not going to be politicking for a job right now," the 71-year-old Brown said. "I'd like to get back involved in the game in some capacity. Whether that's as a coach, assistant, running a team or just as a resource, I don't care."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/story/_/id/7812766/larry-brown-interviewing-smu-mustangs-source-says

2. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

It will be interesting to see if he has any more left in the tank to recruit at 70+. My money is on him making them competitive and then leaving after 3 years.

3. 713

713 Member

I say 2.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

That would certainly be an interesting hire. Like others have said, I can see him making them competitive, but I don't think he would stick around long enough to raise the profile of SMU basketball to the point where that success could be sustained.

I can also see it being a disaster. It has been a long time since he has been in the college coaching game and an even longer time since he has been at a school that wasn't a national power. Recruiting is not going to come easy at SMU.