1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Larry Brown, free agents and a draft theory

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, May 28, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I need some help from all of you stat geeks out there.

What kind of success has Larry Brown had with free agents over the years and the various teams he has been with?

All the free agents that have come to Houston have mentioned the fact that Rudy is a "players coach" in addition to the no state tax, city life, etch.

I'm just wondering how good Brown has been at bringing in the top free agents.

And my theory: Regardless of who the coach is I think we'll trade up to get into the first round. I think getting a pick with SOME sort of name recognition just for the added excitement factor. This team is going to need to continue the buzz to sell those tickets. What better way to do it than with a new coach at a draft party?

What got me thinking about this was listening to Dawson on the radio this afternoon. I think he said something like "we don't have a first round pick right now" or something like that.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

can we please stop viewing every move as something that must be done to sell tickets or as something that even could sell tickets.

did Nachbar "sell those tickets?" hell, did Eddie Griffin sell tickets? Didn't the kid in the Children's Museum commercial think Eddie was Cuttino?

Your theory that we will trade a player for a 1st rounder to sell tickets is questionable in the fact hardly any first rounders sell tickets. How high up are we going to get in the 1st round?

If all your moves are based on selling tickets, then hire Brown and do everything possible to trade Francis for Kidd. That scenario will sell the most tickets.

btw: the ticket selling problem is that they can't sell the luxury suites...all 96 of them.

3. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Ok...so my theory sucks.

Now what about Brown's ability to attract quality free agents?

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Oh, that's Cuttino Mobley??

the only time Eddie ever smiled.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Free Agent-

Just looking at the Philly roster...

None of the major guys were acquired via free agency, unless you consider Greg Buckner or Tyrone Hill, but it doesn't looklike Brown loses players.

It's hard to really get a feel, because Philly hasn't had the cap room, but it seems Brown has no trouble keeping the guys that he feels fit on the team around. The rest probably are sent away in trade before they hit free agency.

6. heypartner

remember, there is two free agency eras that we are talking about...pre-salary cap, and post-salary cap.

I believe Rudy's rep for attracting free agents is as much about the available money than anything else. Pippen, Shandon and MoT all come here knowing they would get an immediate payday or a delayed one.

heck, who really does attract free agents other than money and contenders?

that said: I don't think Larry Brown has ever signed a significant free agent...ever. I actually think this might be true, now that you mention it.

and btw: Matt Harpring left Brown, for 4yr $18m. Was that too much?

7. PrinceDevon

PrinceDevon Member

Free Agent

The only Draft Pick that might with ticket sells just from name recognition outside of Lebron is T.J. Ford out of U.T.

Lots and lots of Longhorn fans who would love to keep following him. Also their Alumni might buy up some of those high priced suites.

Outside of that have to agree with Heypartner .....only winning sells tickets here!

8. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Do the Miami Heat get very many free-agents? Pat Riley is hard on his players. So is LB.

9. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Wait a minute....now that I think about it:

Did Yao sell tickets?

10. heypartner

This would be interesting if he stayed long enough to have to resign a bunch of free agents.

And your disclaimer about "keeping the guys that he feels fit on the team around" or trading them is true for a lot of coaches...as long as the owner pays. That's not a big deal to say he kept Iverson, for instance.

What about these:

Coleman left after the Finals year
    Harpring left
    Mutombo signed for a bad contract
    Joe Smith left after trading Weatherspoon and Jim Jackson for him and Brian Shaw
    Brian Shaw left too, so he lost Weatherspoon for nothing

Antonio Davis and
    Reggie re-up heading into Brown's last year
    I don't think Dale Davis had a re-up.
    Pooh Richardson seems to have left as a free agent.

His SA era doesn't see to have had any significant reups.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not at first. Attendance did not really increase to where it was towards the middle of the season until Yao proved himself. Thats how alot of Housotn fans are. They don't buy the hype. They only pay money when they see a proven winner.

At the start of the season, we had several sub 12,000 crowds.