1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Large chunck of Trade Exception has expired

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 1, 2000.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Our trade exception was the combination of two trades: Pippen and Francis. They expire on trade anniversaries. The Pippen trade could produce no more than 15% of Pippen's salary (the 15% rule), leaving the rest of the $4.5m from the Francis deal, our decrease being absorbed in the 3-way.

The Francis trade went down Aug 27th, so that chunk has expired.

Thus, for any future trade rumors that may arise, and I'm sure there will be one soon, note in your calculations that the exception is now roughly $1.7m (my rough estimate of 15% of Pippen's salary last year).

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Oeilpere, is that information correct?

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Det,

Are you questioning all of heypartner's points or just a few selected parts?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was just looking for someone else to confirm it. I was a bit surprised because people are still talking about how we could include the 4.5 million exception in trades and as far as I remember, so far the word was that the whole exception expires in October (?). Just thought that poppere usually knows that stuff quite well, too.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, you're assuming people actually have to know what they're talking about to post. [​IMG]

------------------
    Falk that Mo Fo!!!

6. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks. I guess I still haven't fully understood how this whole exception stuff works, but thanks.

8. treeman

treeman Member

So we have to piss it away in time-based increments? Well, that changes everything...
    (it really does, no sarcasm intended)

------------------
    "I am an idiot. Admit that you are too, and we'll talk..." (response given to me by my cognitive psych prof when I asked him about mental maps)

9. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Det,

That's funny... [​IMG]

No offense oeilpere, but I realize that your interests do not lie in the cba. Meanwhile, heypartner has read the thing 100s of times through.

------------------