1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Laptop Recommendation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Damion Laverne, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Damion Laverne

I'm looking to upgrade my current system that I've had for 2.5 years. Really interested in one with an SSD (solid state drive). I'd like to spend no more than $1,500.00. Any suggestions?

• Not really interested in gaming (I use my current laptop more for business/casual stuff)
    • Want something that can handle multiple external devices (keyboard, monitors, mouse)
    • With an Ethernet port
    • 15" screen or smaller

2. theimpossibles1

Is that what they're calling it these days?

Check this website they compile some of the best deals across the internet:

https://slickdeals.net/laptop-deals/

For under $1,500 you will definitely find some capable options for streaming your 4K p*rn.

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Most laptops nowadays are pretty good in that price range. I would go for the Surface Laptop if you like Windows. If you like Mac obviously you only have one choice.

When you look for a laptop, these are the things that you will NOT regret seeking out, in order

1. A large, responsive and comfortable trackpad to use
    2. Build quality/materials that feel nice and aren't cheap
    3. Battery life
    4. Screen

Any laptop that has those 4 is a GREAT laptop. Notice I didn't include performance. For casual use, most laptops are fast enough with an SSD.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Wal-Mart has a gaming laptop Msi gtx1060 for $699 regular price $999.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I like the Dell Inspiration 15 7000 series.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-7000/spd/inspiron-15-7580-laptop

15.6"
    Aluminum finish

There is one for 1079.99
    It has the features I would want:
    Quad core 8th gen Intel processor (i7-8565U)
    A single 8GB memory, which allows for cheap and easy upgrade
    512GB M.2 SSD Drive (These are the hard drives that look like memory sticks). It has an additional bay for a standard SSD drive if you want more room.
    It also has a Type C USB 3.1

Its fully loaded for a fair price. I have one similar and I really like it.
    Cons: Speakers suck
    Pros: Its pretty light weight and compact.

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

How important is battery life and portability?

How important is a touchscreen? 360 degree hinge capability? Long warranty? pen input?

With $1500 as your budget, you can get some really nice laptops. You can't go wrong with a Lenovo Thinkpad T480s or Dell Latitude 7490. Your requirement of an ethernet port limits your choices to mostly 14"+ business grade laptops. If you're okay with ethernet to usb dongles, then you will more thin and light options.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I just got a new laptop. Don't get Windows 10. That is my only recommendation. It is a slow, design nightmare.

8. Damion Laverne

Portability is more emphasized than battery life

Don’t care for a touch screen

Pen input would be nice

Hinge capability would be nice but not really needed.

Any Ethernet attachments you recommend would be good

9. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I think the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon is the best overall highly portable laptop right now. It has a very slim profile, good build quality, usb-c charging, and great keyboard. Draw is that it doesn't have built-in ethernet. There is a dongle that will give you ethernet without tying up one of your usb ports.

If you're okay with manufacturer refuribshed, you can get a really well equipped one for less than $1200
    core i7 8th gen
    16gb ram
    512gb ssd

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/outlet...nkPad-X1-Carbon-6th-Gen/p/20KHCTR1WW-PF16UJ4M

If your ethernet usage is mostly in one location, then you can get a docking station to make everything more seamless.
    https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/top-tech/Pro-Dock-135-W-US/p/40AH0135US

10. Damion Laverne

Does anybody have an opinion on the Dell XPS 13 or 15?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have a 15 from this year, I think the 9570. Loveeeeeeee it. Does everything except high-end gaming and it does it FAST. And it will probably last a long time (great specs). I got the regular laptop not the 2-1 (didn't need that).

Early-on, people on Reddit complained about some quality control issues. Mine has had no problems. Common complaints IIRC -- it runs loud when stressed "coil whine", loose keys on keyboard (QA), backlight bleed on corner of screens, short window to return the laptop back to Dell if needed, played out design, wifi cutting out, many users improved performance w/ overlocking CPU configurations. I imagine all of this stuff has been fixed by now. But this is what I assume to be the last iteration of this build, so who knows, maybe it isn't a priority.

All of those items are probably rare and/or more minor than they seem (although the laptop was pricey initially so you'd expect elite performance). The one legitimate gripe across the board that I agree with is that the speakers are bad.

Non-4K screen offers superior battery life and looks great. 4K screen looks better on occasion, but is definitely the way to go if you're big on editing photos/graphics.

12. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

surface book 2, switched over from the macbook pro...

surface book 2 is a far better machine..