1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Language and Communication] How much import do you place on a large vocabulary?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Caltex2, Jun 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I think it's important to be articulate and have an extensive vocabulary that no one can stump easily with. But at a certain point, you turn into a snob and it becomes a [bleep] measuring contest because knowing a lot of big words doesn't necessarily make you smarter, it just means you know how to communicate in more ways.

I place more emphasis in being able to talk to people on their level in ways they can understand, even if I still know some big words myself and if they don't understand a few things I say, I don't turn my nose up at them and instead politely explain to them what I mean, usually in a humorous way.

Is anyone idiosyncratic to that?:grin:

2. DwightHoward13

I think having a good vocabulary is important. That is why I am so smartical!

3. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

If you were going to make up a word, at least say that using big words in a conversation is funtastic.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I have a pretty good vocabulary but I rarely use it in conversation or when I write. It's more important to convey a precise message in a way that everyone can understand. You don't hear uncommon words during Presidential debates or political hearings.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am indefatigable...

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Since I graduated my vocabulary has become terrible. If bothers me at times, and I know I need to read more, it just becomes difficult when you work all the time.

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Schools can learn you to speak gooder english

8. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

In a business sense it's almost imperative to be sensitive and capable to speak at all levels of vocabulary depending on who your audience is.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

English is a language cesspool. Think of all of the invaders to the British Isles and all of the language that they theft behind: Brythonic Celtic languages (Welsh, Cornish, Breton), Goidelic Celtic languages (Irish, Scottish, Manx), Pictish, Latin, Anglo Saxon languages (Angles, Jutes, Saxons), Norse, and French.

The Second Edition of the 20-volume Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for 171,476 words in current use [link].

You need about 4,000 word vocabulary to read a newspaper [link].

IIRC college educated Americans have about a 20,000 word vocabulary.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It ain't no thing

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's pretty important, but only so that I never feel like i'm unaware of anything in any given situation.

When it comes down to it, the average person has the vocabulary/reading ability of an 8th grader. So, communicating effectively is more important than efficiently conveying a point with a word that half your audience cannot comprehend.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Having a limited vocabulary is an easy indicator of an individual with a low IQ -- this is typically demonstrated by ungood speech patterns and the use of words (they) have created in order to sound intelligent.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

not so much, i consider it exportant

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I think having a large vocabulary is something that the government (e.g. our school system) advocates. It can have the opposite effect in that it may cause people to support antidisestablishmentarianism.

16. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

And thanks to the British, English is spoken around the world and new words enter the language all the time for various reasons (slang, influence of language from a nearby culture, catch phrases, etc...) and each region has a unique dialect (American English, British English, Indian English, Australian English, etc...).

Like I said, sometimes it can get to the point where it's like people comparing their girth, as if knowing a bunch of different words makes them smarter and superior to those who don't.

17. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

Fixed that for you.

I think it's important to have an adequate vocabulary for your career and social circles. But, I think is more important to be able to "code switch". Basically being able to switch from the language you use at work to the language you use with friends.

18. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

My acquaintances refer to me as Spock.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I show people pictures.

1 person likes this.
  20. Win

Win Contributing Member

Words dissemble
    Words be quick
    Words resemble walking sticks