1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lane is healthy - time to bring him up

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobrek, Aug 12, 2003.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Jason Lane has been off the DL for close to 2 weeks now and playing regularly. Time to bring him up.

2. BALLhog 247 365

whose spot will he take? bruntlett?

3. bobrek

4. Buck Turgidson

It's nice to have a solid late inning defensive replacement, double switch, PR type guy in CF. That's not Lane's game. No way he can play an adequate CF at MMP, or at a lot of other places.

But the 'Stros DO need a RH stick off of the bench. I'd definitely bring him up in time to make him eligible for the playoff roster.

Hmmm...tough call. Bruntlett is pretty worthless if Jimy insists on playing Blum at SS on occasion, I'd be tempted to go with a 6th OF in the playoffs & drop Bruntlett. When's Viz supposed to be healthy anyways?

5. bobrek

Supposedly, Vizcaino is almost ready (at least with batting RH).

6. bobrek

The Astros have yet to remove Biggio for defensive purposes. Granted, Porter is probably better in CF than Lane, but Berkman and Hidalgo can both play CF at least as good as Biggio can.

7. Buck Turgidson

I know...but the stretch drive & playoffs are a different animal.

They could also probably play it as well as Biggio. ;)

Yeah, I think the need for a RHPH off the bench outweighs the plus's that Porter brings to the table. I'd make that move.

Any idea how Lane's been playing since he came off the DL?

8. bobrek

Oh good, I never did well at English. :)

From scanning Zephyr box scores, he appears to be hitting.

9. Buck Turgidson

Yep, I did the same. I say go for it.

Also, watch out for Henri Stanley next year. He's having another great year, following outstanding 1 year stints in A & AA. I saw him play several times in RR, he's fun to watch - lots of triples, busts his ass all over the field, plays a good OF & will steal some bases as well.

10. kevwun

kevwun Member

Berkman and Hidalgo both play center better than Biggio.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

In a couple of years, the starting OF will be Lane, Stanley and Berkman. Bidge will retire and Hidalgo will not resign.

12. bobrek

The time is now. Lane has been brought up. Porter sent down. I assume Porter will be back on 09/01.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

THERE IS A GOD!

Bobrek, if you have watched any games recently, and I know you have, you'll be begging for porter not to be a part of the september roster. ;)

The guy can not hit at all. He made Brian Hunter look good and that says something.

14. bobrek

I didn't say I'd want to see him :) (I cringe whenever he bats). I just suspect they'll bring him up for extra maneuverability (pinch running, defensive switch, the "early" pinch hit AB, etc.). I'm still waiting for them to grap an additional OF before 09/01. Vizcaino will be available by this weekend for IF assistance, but they can always use an extra experienced bat.

15. DVauthrin

I think the astros should go after John Vanderwal myself. The guy hits good pitching, is lefthanded, cheap, and is one of the best pinch hitters in baseball.

Plus milwaukee is out of the race so it's not farfetched to think they would trade him.

I also would like to get Livan large, except montreal probably thinks at 5.5 games back in the WC, they are in it for the longhaul. Plus that 6 mil option he has for next year if he hits 200 innings scares me.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Biggio's time has LONG gone...he should not be playing every day.

.250 average, with a noodle arm and average speed, time to put his butt on the bench.

DD

17. haven

haven Member

Bah. Save your passion for Geoff "I'm practically worthless" Blum.

In CF, at least, the Astros don't have another great option... and Biggio's actually hitting better than Geoff "Walk... me?" Blum. And, of course, they do have a better option there.

All other line-up choices should be put on the back-burner until Jimy Williams gets a brain about that one.

18. Timing

Timing Member

Colin Porter is scheduled to play for Scottsdale in the AFL starting at the end of September. I don't know if they'd bring him back Sept 1st after a full season of minor league ball and then send him for another month of ball in the AFL without giving him some type of break but maybe sitting on the bench in Houston is a break. I guess we'll see.

19. DVauthrin

Timing,

As an Astros fan, I wish Porter well in the fall league and NO, but in the best interests of the team I do not want to see him in the big leagues this year. He simply can't hit, or needs to correct his vision(my dad and I noticed he squinted his eyes during at bats).

20. Timing

Timing Member

Yeah I agree he looked a little clueless at the plate. I just added that because of the speculation in here about whether or not he'd be back on Sept 1st.