1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Zierlein leaving 1560

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BP0803, Aug 11, 2011.

1. RedRaiderRocket

I really don't know but I am sure it will disappoint. They seem to blow things out of proportion at times. I thought they had a high school show last year, maybe it was just broadcasting the game of the week.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Lance is the most valuable person in Houston Sports radio I can say with certainty during this period of football season. No one has more connections as far as what's going on around the nation as well as with the Texans, but in addition to that his personal perspective just from an X's and O's standpoint is also invaluable. His college knowledge might be surpassed by John Harris and maybe Sean Pendergast, who I've actually really taken more of a liking to now that he's by himself (he sounds more like the Cablinasian we all used to know on the Jim Rome show). LZ's voicework is just icing on the cake.

Wherever he goes, they had better make him the highest paid person in Houston radio because that's the kind of weight he throws around. He's probably the best journalist for Houston football just by virtue of having a blog on the chron website that I have no doubt gets more page views than any of the other blogs or columns from other writers. Personally I hope he gets paired with a strong personality straight man; people are only saying 790 because he's already burned his bridges at 610 also ha. I just really hope he stays in Houston but he does seem committed to doing just that.

And yes it's sad, not ironic, that Rich Lord is the single human being responsible for turning sports talk radio in Houston into the four station ****show it is now. I can't call him a flatout *******, but his utter lack of knowledge on sports nor will to even make an effort to follow any sporting events that happened after 1995 highlights the awful level of nepotism that is rampant here in Texas. Hell we've seen it destroy our Astros these last seven years without Hunsicker.

For all you young kids out there, learn from the mistakes of 610 radio and the Astros. Work hard and get into positions of power so that you can avoid the mistakes of your predecessors. Hire people for their skills and not because they're buddies.

3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

You guys dogging MT 790.....at that time slot, who would you rather have for local?

These 2 douchebags from 97.5 who don't know their head from their ass?

[​IMG] FRED FAOUR

[​IMG] A.J. HOFFMAN

These guys are a bunch of idiots who rarely want to talk sports and want to talk about other ****.

Sean - 1560/YSR was ok before he went national, so I rarely listen to that Michael Chiklis wannabe.

610 has the Jungle, which they can suck these nuts. :grin:

Matt is the only one and he's alright to me.....but sometimes he goes off on a tangent like he's speaking for a prospective presidential candidate.

4. Egghead

Egghead Member

It’s 2 days before LeBron Zierlein is do to make his decision. What will he do? Online publication, 97.5, 610, 790? Lets really evaluate his options. Lebron Zierlein is a local boy and he truly loves local radio. Lebron Zierlein also has to be around talented people. When I say talent I am talking about talent as far as creative. Lebron Zierlein also has to have maternity leave built in his contract. LeBron Zierlein cannot be in a situation where his creativity is controlled.

There are a lot of people upset that Lebron would make his announcement in the matter made(chron.com) but he put in the work and reserve the right to go where ever he want. Lebron was the main component keeping his team afloat and making them relevant with an appearance in the title game (No. 1 Slot) however there was never truly a compliment for LeBron.

And for all of you who are speculating, only a coward would team with two other Super Stars (if this is the case), you can’t be farther from the truth. Sometimes people have to leave their surroundings to see how messed up things really are.

I fully expect after Lebron Zierlein’s DECISION, David Gow will take out a half of page slot in the Chronicle and blast Lebron Zierlein in Comic Sans Font.

Thursday in the midst of a halacious Matt Thomas Show (790) (that’s MTs favorite word), Matt dropped a little bomb but I don’t think it was well received. He said, Monday morning, 790 will announce something big. At this point, his show was going so bad in terms of technical difficulties; I honestly overlooked what he said. Didn’t think much of it, I just wanted Matt to make through his show without dropping an F Bomb because I could sense he was frustrated. Approximately an hour after Matt’s news, Lebron drops a resignation letter in the Chronicle. This Morning I get word from Craig Shelton (1430 AM) he wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Lance ooops I mean Lebron landed with 790.

Kids, you see what I mean when I say you can’t be a rookie doing this professional radio listening? Lebron Zierlein will take his talents to 790 IMO. I would like to see them use him similar to a sports show in DC with like 4 personalities in the mornings. I am talking about LZ, Matt and Adam however I been listening around the water cooler and I have heard that Matt and Lebron while Adam team up with Charlie.

I am not sure how this all will play out or Lebron is going to the obvious but it makes for some kick ass speculation.

Can you picture, Lance, Charlie, and Matt Thomas holding a press conference in Reliant coming down the stage in concert form. Hi fiving everyone. They talk to Charlie (Chris Bosh), and he’s like I’m happy. They talked to Matt (D. Wade), he’s like Lance and I have worked together before (Olympic team) and I know what he can bring and this is a happy edition. Lance grabs the MIC, the crowd roars and he says, I am happy to be with 790 and who knows, we can probably kick ass NOT 1 NOT 2 NOT 3 NOT 4 NOT 5 NOT 6 but maybe seven years.

On a serious note, Lance is extremely liked in this town and if 790 is his landing, I wish him the best. I was telling people yesterday, they should be happy for Lance in whatever he does because you know he will be happy. It’s really hard to do a job when you are not happy no matter how much loot they are trying to offer.

http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

On a related note, just caught 610's 'swap meet'. I have to admit, ND and Greg is a pretty good combo.

6. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Took the words out of my ...fingers.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Yup and you can find them on the weekends. Too bad really.

8. Rockets34Legend

Didn't help having douchebag Josh A-hole on the show. :mad:

#108 Rockets34Legend, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

My ideal 790 lineup goes like this:

6-10 Matt & Adam

10-1 LZ & Adam Clanton

1-3 Matt Thomas & Dylan Gwinn

3-7 Charlie

I know everyone hates Dylan, but the people at 790 apparently love him, so I doubt he's going anywhere. Plus, the first 10 minutes of Thomas' show with him and Dylan is usually pretty funny, so I think they'd work well together. Other than Palillo, I'm not a big fan of solo shows. They talk to their producers too much (i,e, the Matt Thomas Show) for my taste. I'm not sure LZ & Clanton would make the best pairing, but I want those guys on the air every day somehow and this lineup is the best format I could possibly dream up.

If this news on Monday ISN'T LZ, they might have a riot down at the 790 studios.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I really doubt that. LOL I like Lance a lot, but there will be ZERO outrage if two weeks from now he's still off the air.

As for Clanton, I ask again. Does anyone have a reason to think he WANTS a job as a full time radio personality?

11. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I meant that 790 is hyping up this big announcement. If it is anything OTHER than LZ joining, people will be upset.

As far as Clanton, the only idea I've ever gotten is on Twitter when I told him that 790 needed to give him a permanent gig and he retweeted it. Who knows?

12. conquistador#11

That's because they're talking NFL. I absolutely detest when hosts venture into other topics, whether it's who is following who on twitter or what A&M is going to do.
    If I want to know about A&M, I would tune into some college station show online. The NFL is back and that's what we want to hear right now.

It seems like every guy on the radio wants to be a comedian on the side. What I love about lance is that he is able to combine his high sports I.Q with his awesome sense of humour. I don't blame him for wanting to leave. Lance is a rebel.
    I'm sure he will be back. How many more babies can he make before he begins to miss talking sports?

Although, I can see him as a house husband.:p
    If he does go this route, I hope he at least does a three hour podcast from the attic. Lance is the best.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I haven't heard from Clanton that he wants to go back to radio fulltime, so don't know why many of you are suggesting him unless it's just wishful thinking.

Edit: just read Chuck 4's post about AC.

On another note, it's surprising that someone credible and insightful like ND Kalu can be found on 610 these days, then again he stands out even more amongst the present dredges there. A complete 180 from having Andre Ware there. LZ and ND together would make an awesome pairing for football talk yet both are diverse enough to talk about other stuff, LZ for football stats/analysis and ND for former player perspective. That's my wishful thinking since LZ most likely won't be on 610 anytime soon.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

speak for yourself. far more interested in how this A&M decision affects the landscape of college football into the foreseeable future than I am about preseason football.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I only listen to 790. **** everything else.

1 person likes this.
  16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm rowing Moe's boat.

17. conquistador#11

it's politics. I like college athletics 'talk', as long as they're talking about the game on the field. the realignment talk is just over kill. Guess, I'm in the minority. I would rather listen to hannity than more realignment talk. =)

18. Egghead

Egghead Member

Craig HMW Shelton
    Sources we trust hve indicated 2 HMW that @SportsTalk790 will announce @ 8am on 8/15/'11 that @LanceZierlein is joining @SportsTalk790 #HMW

19. jonjon

jonjon Contributing Member

I agree, these to guys are terrible... The show was much better with Matt Dean and Faour. I only listen to 97.5 and changed my lunch hour just to miss their show and catch Scott Van Pelt.

Scott Van Pelt Show followed by Carl Dukes (Put up Your Dukes/The Drive) = Perfect Afternoon.

20. Rockets34Legend

That

would

be

FREAKING

AWESOME!