1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Zierlein leaving 1560

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BP0803, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've liked listening to the three and not Zierlein's De La Hoya had me almost bust out laughing at work a few times. If there is one downside to the 3 of them together, it seems that Wexler sometimes goes MIA and/or gets drowned out.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think wex has the worst radio voice. I think that was the reason he was fired the first time. Listening to same thing over and over gets boring. Caller: How do you think the texans will do against the saints. Caller: I don't this team is tough enough. I enjoy the random crap lance brings up.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

When was he ever fired?

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I will preface this by saying that I don't really get a chance to listen to these guys on a regular basis.

My one fear going in was that their personalities wouldn't match. Both Zierlein and Matt/Wex use humor in their delivery quite often, but it's different humor. Lance tends to use impressions and observational humor about certain people while Matt and Adam tend to be silly and dry, respectively.

5. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Maybe there is a better all-encompassing sports radio thread, but this was the first one I could think of.

Our collective worst sports radio-related nightmare is coming true. 790 has made the decision to give Dylan Gwinn more exposure. He is going to be hosting a show from 7-8 called "Mighty After Dark."

It's also notable that in David Barron's TV/Radio column in the Chronicle last week, he said that 790 is actually winning the midday because the ratings for Jim Rome's show have fallen off. Gwinn seems to be taking advantage of the fact that Houston is a sports radio wasteland in the midday.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Who listens to AM radio after dark? It's strictly for driving around in the car.

Nitey nitey Mighty. I don't have to listen to your Rush on Sports rip off any more.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That's not more exposure. That's kinda like putting the least popular stripper on the midweek shift.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Who's replacing him? More Thomas or more Zeerleen?

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You have a link to that? I could not find it on the chronic.com

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll do some digging...I remember seeing it in the print edition. It might be one of those print-only features.

Let me also be clear. They are giving him this night show in addition to his regular slot, so it's not like they are trying to hide him down the lineup.

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

So...Craig Roberts fails again? lol

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Does that mean no more mighty midday? It'll be the best decision they ever made.

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I guess so. He's not listed on their website anymore. Craig Roberts must have a pretty steady "day job" because he has floated around the Houston sports media scene for a while now. I'd venture to guess that he's held no fewer than a dozen gigs in the last five years in a number of different mediums.

I listened to his most recent show on 790 one time and wasn't impressed. It was actually pretty awkward. On the particular episode I listened to, he had his son in studio with him as a co-host. I don't know if his son was a regular on the show or if this was a one-time deal, but it wasn't working. His son had no idea when to jump in. Craig always had to prompt him to say something with a lead-in like "What do you think?" I realize that his son was a radio novice and should be cut some slack, but it was bad radio.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I heard him fill in for Matt Thomas when he first came back. My God, it was painful to listen to. There was no sports going on with the NBA lockout, the NFL lockout, and the lockout of talent on the Astros. Nobody was calling in and he was like a fish out of water from what I recall. They had producers and his son, I think, trying to help him out. Painful. I always liked the guy on KPRC - a sports broadcasting OG in Houston, but damn, maybe he's not cut out for radio.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I always liked Craig Roberts but his radio show was very awkward. No callers and it was just him and his son scrambling around for topics.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Some of us enjoy a shower and shave before bed, and there's gotta be some sports AM radio on in the background. Craig Roberts made me cringe. Just completely awkward.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

LOL, one more step into obscurity for the Mighty Moron.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember Craig Roberts from 30+ years ago when he was on Channel 13 in Indianapolis.

Heard him a couple of times on the radio here and it clearly isn't his thing.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FIFY.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nice. Gwinn totally losses any positive attitude i have toward radio after the big show when he chimes in.

I don't understand. Charlie and Thomas are on in the midday. Gwinn is only on for 1 hour 11-12.