1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman has an assload to say (Clemens, Pettitte, Wade,Valverde)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You are nuts if you think baseball teams don't need chemistry. I was a high school varsity baseball assistant all 4 yrs of HS, and the one year we had locker room in fighting was the only year we failed to make the playoffs. It wasn't a talent issue at all, it was a split in the locker room on the way the coaches divided playing time and it pulled the team apart from focusing on the right goal/s. Now picture a baseball team as a family of 25 guys all striving for the same goal at minimum 7 months out of the year, and if you play through October make it 8. You can't win if you can't at least put aside differences on the field.

Also, you most definitely need chemistry on a hit and run. If the person at the plate or on base intentionally misses the sign, you are screwed. Not to mention if a team had no chemistry, that team would quit whenever behind, and players would not sacrifice themselves(like bunts, sac flies or hitting behind runners) to help the team at their expense.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I don't agree with what Lance Berkman said, especially in regards to Valverde. He should not have called a teammate out in the press like that, stuff like that needs to be done in the lockerroom.

But some of you need to wind your necks in. Damn.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I played baseball for over 12 years...Ive been on teams where players hated each other...that had no impact at all on the field. The teams that won, had talent. The teams that lost, had glaring holes. Look at what you said regarding the hit and run:

Uh, no **** sherlock. What's that got to do with chemistry? That has to do more with being a sore loser. You think ARod would ever intentionally miss a sign to get back at Jeter? Anyone who lets their animosity get in the way of their play is an idiot. Winners, professionals, players with heart...they play the game the right way.

Why would a team quit if there is no chemistry? You put a roster of players that hate losing on a team...doesnt matter if they get along or not, but they sure as hell wont let things get in the way of them performing their best.

We had chemistry last year...if the players suck, the team sucks. Doesnt matter how much circle jerk they play in the clubhouse.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Maybe I haven't seen it enough, but I always thought Valverde was just pointing to the sky after every save to thank God. I'm sure Mr. Bible Study Berkman can appreciate that.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Valverde can't be no Papa Pequeno out on the mound, Lance. What are you trying to do there?

A closer gets chastised for antics more than others because they're at the end of the game and its the last thing a team remembers. And its usually after a loss so they're double pissed. Otherwise he's just in for an inning every 3rd or 4th day. Would you rather Valverde or someone in the Tim Redding mindset trying to close...

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

agreed.

7. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that professional baseball is played very differently than the HS game. The players are professionals rather than kids who might be pissed off about who Suzie decided to go to prom with. HS kids can be very petty and nothing bad happens to them. In MLB, millions of dollars ride on the quality of your play.

Not that chemistry is unimportant, but it sounds like Berkman has already decided he can't get along with the new crop of guys. If he can't, then maybe he needs to waive his no trade clause and let us unload him for a boatload of talent.

I don't want rid of Berkman, but I do expect him to act like a pro.

8. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Lance needs to shut the **** up and play baseball. There's no need to publicly call out new teammates like that. Absolutely zero need for it. The guys haven't even put on an Astro uniform.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I don't disagree that Berkman should shut up, but chemistry is even more vital to an MLB team than a HS/college team because of the 162 game 7-8 month grind away from your families with those 25 guys.

10. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

shut the heck up already Lance berkman you lil whinny p***y cat...

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How quickly we turn on a player when he speaks his mind...wow! Big Puma has been with us for a while now...hard to believe more people ain't got his back. Truth of the matter is Berkman is gonna find it hard to reign in these new guys and let them know he's the leader of this team. He's never really assumed the leaders role but now he has to take that step.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well apparently Berkman's in the minority...

HOUSTON -- Lance Berkman may be concerned about team chemistry, but judging from the comments of select teammates on Tuesday, the first baseman's theories are not shared by the masses.

During a holiday event at Minute Maid Park on Tuesday, several Astros players openly disagreed with Berkman's assessment that team chemistry may be an issue in the wake of the sweeping changes general manager Ed Wade has made to the roster.

"Lance is Lance, and I can see where he's coming from, but I don't think there's going to be bad chemistry," Brandon Backe said. "I don't think there's any question if there's going to be chemistry with the team next year. I think everything's going to be OK."

Backe was asked to respond to Berkman's interview in Sunday's Houston Chronicle, during which Berkman said, "I feel like I've been traded to the Astros" and that "it saddens me in a way."

Berkman also said after watching so many players come through the system, everyone had grown comfortable with each other.

"It's been a tough offseason for me, personally," he said.

Backe, along with Chris Sampson and Woody Williams, disagreed. They like the moves Wade made and are looking forward to next season.

"Lance is going out on a limb," Backe said. "Maybe he's a little upset that his buddy Chris Burke was traded. But I don't know. He said what he said, and he certainly has a right to say what he wants."

"Ed Wade and Drayton McLane have been wheeling and dealing," Sampson said. "It's very exciting going into Spring Training and into '08."

Williams said he "strongly" disagrees with Berkman's opinions.

"Chemistry is what you make of it," the veteran starting pitcher said. "It's how you approach people, and it's how open you are with your teammates and how willing you are to get to know different people.

"There's guys that have been here five or six years, and they have a good camaraderie and some good close friendships were made. And now it's time to split them apart, and it's always hard. I know a lot of that's personal for Lance. He's the face of the organization, and he's someone that everyone looks up to, so his concerns concern a lot of people."

Count Williams as one who likes the moves Wade made this winter.

"Anytime you can better yourself. It's hard to give up on some of the young prospects, but to me, they are prospects until they are proven Major Leaguers," he said. "You never know what they are going to turn out to do. We've added some good pieces, no doubt about it."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=2332626&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

13. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Maybe BERKMAN is mad seeing so many new

MINORITIES on the team? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's not that we've turned on him because he spoke his mind. We haven't turned on him. It's just that the things he said in the interview were...well...stupid.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Look...when a guy of Berkman's stature says the things that he said, it is cause for major concern. The last thing you want is one of your cornerstone guys disgrunteled. That being said, you can't let that keep you from doing the things that need to be done to better the team.

More people ain't got his back? Are you for real? Berkman has been with us for a while, so he can take a big, steaming dump on the team publicly and it's ok? Honestly...that notion is just dumb.

16. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Berkman should shut up already.

What a load of rubbish. He is beginning to sound like one Curt Schilling, if not worse.

I hope Ed trades his fat behind away as well. Enough of folks like him.

...And I used to thing he was an intelligent human being. I was fooled indeed.

#116 Fegwu, Dec 19, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

This is really nothing new from Berkman though... He tends to mention to the media that he is upset quite often when players have been traded from the team or let go.

In the end though, I agree with you. Him complaining publicly is a distraction to the team and something that should be handled privately. He's starting to feel like the reincarnation of Billy Wagner. Wagner had something to say about everything.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Honestly, I think he just talks too much. Seriously, I think that's it. I think he likes to talk...he's a gregarious guy...he just starts talking and his mouth works before his mind does, sometimes.

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

hes on 1560 right now

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

its a real shame bc i like berkman a lot....but he needs to just stfu already...

saying a bunch of stupid things still