1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman has an assload to say (Clemens, Pettitte, Wade,Valverde)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Dec 17, 2007.

1. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

I remember when we (I think mainly Jimy Williams and now possibly Lance after reading this) told another closer to show less emotion on the field after he got saves for us - Octavio Dotel. That didn't work out too well for us, nor for him. I am not saying that is the only reason he didn't work out as closer for us, but I do think it was a pretty big factor. Some players thrive on that emotion, and others let it destroy them. I, personally, loved watching Papa Grande show all that emotion down the playoff stretch last year for the dbacks, it was just fun to watch as a fan of the game. How about we don't tell the man how to do his job, and let him hopefully dominate like he did last year?

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I read an article that said Gibson pumping his fist like he did after that HR really upset team chemistry.

:(

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Random sidenote, but Lance's most repeated clubhouse activity last year before games was sitting down and doing the crosswords with Loretta, Ausmus and Lamb -- so I'm not sure why he's so upset -- two of his three are back! :p

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the article. I'm all for speaking one's mind, but only after you use that mind before speaking.

5. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i like berkman a lot, i think he has intelligent things to say concerning baseball, but on this issue he needs to open a can S T F U

berkman and burke then cuttino and steve

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

u got back a middle if and a 7th inning guy and a minor leaguer ....haren was part of ur other deal

7. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

fixed

my fault

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

The downturn of the Dodgers since 1988 has been linked to that very fist pump. Completely ruining not only team chemistry, but the fabric of Los Angeles as we know it today..... ummmmm riots???

Personally, I think players SHOULD show a little more emotion on the field. It sure as hell would make things a little bit more exciting. Hell I love it when a basketball, football, or hockey player gets pumped up on my team - it pumps me up and gets me excited in the process. Can you imagine if we had an NBA or NFL full of players that displayed no emotion after a huge play, pass, dunk, run, shot, or kick? Sure you see emotion in walk-off home runs, and in the playoffs, but overall its pretty much kept in check.

Ozzie Smith did back flips, would he be chastized by Berkman?

9. tested911

tested911 Member

Same here because last time I checked we weren't selling girlscout cookies but trying to win ball games.

10. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

OK, I just went and watched highlights on MLB.com of a few of Valverde's saves.

You know what?

I thought the "antics" were AWESOME!

I mean, it's not like Pujols admiring each HR he hits. That's showboating. This looked like enthusiasm.

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Enthusiasm is not a part of Houston Astro lore.

12. right1

right1 Member

No passion or enthusiasm would be fine in he were Joe Greenvalley from Spring...

But he is Jose Valverde from San Pedro de Macoris. They call him "Papa Grande" and he is our closer. Has Lance has ever been to the Dominican Republic? Maybe they could both organize a mission trip there to help the poor.

13. yobod

yobod Member

His biggest complaint is that the chemistry is going to be affected now, and that the guys aren't going to be comfortable around each other.
    1) A great way to ruin any kind of chemistry you might have with your new teammates is by alienating them before they even step foot in the locker room. Great way to be a team leader there, Berkman.
    2) Chemsitry comes when teams start winning. You automatically bond with guys when you're creaming the other teams. It's not a coincidence that T-Mac and Yao were both saying this is the deepest team they've ever had when we were 6-1...now they're both complaining about how nobody has set roles, and that there isn't a set direction for the team. So which is it, guys?

Berkman is remorseful that the Astros traded away his friends (Burke especially), but what he's not willing to admit is that when Burke was giving his chances, he never took advantage of them. The responsibility has to fall on the players, too. It's not just Big Bad Wade that traded away your friend, Berkman.....your friend didn't produce when he was supposed to. Get over it, and go win some freaking baseball games.

14. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

The clips actually reminded me a bit of Octavio Dotel when he was a dominant 8th-inning guy...

But, yeah, I know what you mean.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like Lance being honest and there is truth to chemistry...Chemisty can develop over time, so I think he's just venting his frustration on how things have sucked the past couple of season and the uncertainty of where they're headed...

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If "chemistry" means each player blows chunks equally, then to hell with chemistry.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You like our "leader" calling out new players in the media before the season even starts? No wonder we were terrible last year with him as the main guy in the clubhouse. Maybe Lee, Pence or Tejada can step up and be the leader this team needs.

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Lance is an ass. His best friend is Chris Burke so he is pissed Valverde was traded for him. He was pissing over last year with they sent down Burke for Pence. Get over it. This team is better on paper than last years. Astros need some excite me and Towles, Pence, Bourn, Matsui, Tejada, and Valverde bring that rather than Lane, Ensberg, Everett, Burke, Lidge, and Qualls.

19. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

My kinda post, I miss u. ;)

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You know, this reminds me of Milo's call when the Astros won the NLCS in 2005. It had to be the most boring call of this kind of moment in the history of sports broadcasting.

"The Astros won the NLCS."