1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman has an assload to say (Clemens, Pettitte, Wade,Valverde)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Dec 17, 2007.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Let me understand this.....he is worried about team chemistry but he has no problem calling out an ex teammate and making a new one feel a tad unwelcome? :rolleyes:

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, that was baffling to me. You're calling out the "antics" of a player on your team before he's even come to town...and at the same time you're concerned for chemistry in the clubhouse. I'm thinking chemistry in the clubhouse is better if you give a guy a chance first before running to the media to talk about him.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

C'mon. His friends are gone...cut him some slack. :(

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

How will he wake up in the morning?? :)

5. NJRocket

I have no doubt that team chemistry played a HUGE.....and i mean HUGE part in the comeback year of '05 and....but as long as u have good leadership and have some good"clubhouse" guys so to speak (like he and possibly Tejada....supposedly teammates love this guy)..then we can regain that chemistry

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

We dont need someone pumping his fists and playing with passion and fire, we need someone who is scared to death and pops a squat on the mound after he throws another gopher ball to blow a save.

7. NJRocket

i didnt see Berkman complaining when Clemens would talk **** to a guy he just struck out as he walked back to the dugout

i , for one, am exicited to see this guy get the crowd in a frenzy when he mows someone down....not to mention his awesome nickname...PAPA GRANDE

8. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

You didn't have to sit through those 1 run saves. He'd come in, look really shaky, load the bases with one out and then his infield would turn a miraculous double play and get him out of the jam. And then Valverde would jump around, fist pump, yell and scream as if he did something special.

We aren't exactly glad to see him go, but with what we got in return, hell yes. We now have the best 1-2 starting pitching punch in baseball. Two cy young caliber, all star pitchers. We'll find a less stressful, servicable closer. Trust me, dback fans in Phoenix are ecstatic right now.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We need someone to play Cowboys and Inidans with Lance in the locker room.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, seriously. People have mentioned Lima. Even Dotel had some fist pumps and motions when he'd get a big K. They can't all big stoic..

very disappointed in Berkman if this stuff wasn't somehow taken out of context. Pretty much judging people before meeting them.. and guys that he's gonna hafta see everyday for the next few eyars.

11. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Man Berkman needs to STFU. After his worst season as a big leaguer, he has this to say? What a r****d.

He has always had questionable work ethic, (i.e. last to show up to the ballpark, doesn't like lifting weights . . etc.) but he has always been good. He slumps last season, the team is the worst team in the worst division in baseball, and we get to chalk up a whole season to Craig Biggio. Biggio is gone now, Purpura is gone now; obviously the Bigg/Bag era is over and the team is going to be blown up. So Ed Wade goes out and shakes things up. Makes changes that look pretty good offensively on paper (we all know where that can lead to, see: 2007-2008 Houston Rockets), and all Berkman can talk about is clubhouse chemistry and how this was a tough offseason for him. That should be the last thing he says. That is a glaring sign that he is in baseball for fun more than competition.

Berkman sounds like more of a b*tch than Chad Qualls whining about how his girlfriend is here or whatever.

If Berkman wants to talk about his friends that are leaving, then frame it differently. Something like, "I will really miss the guys that are no longer going to be with us, but I understand baseball is a business, and I am looking forward to seeing how the new-look roster shapes up on our next push to the world series" or something like that. Instead of

"Wahh!!! I miss Chris Burke and I don't like fist pumping because it brings bad chemistry!!! I bet he doesn't even speak with kids about Jesus! Waaaggghhh! Chris Burke was soo precious to meee Waaaaggghhh !!!! I wish he was back in the lineup batting 215 WAAGGHHHHHHHH!!! Clemens needs to listen to me because I'm WAAHHHHNNNCEEE BERKMAN!!!"

The combination of not hitting and being a little b*tch sure can hurt your reputation. Now is time for Lance Berkman to shut up and hit the ball.

P.S. Clemens doesn't give two *****s what you think.

12. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

good stuff

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Maybe Lance should be critiquing himself. I mean, he does throw his bat rather violently when he pops up or hits a slow dribbler to the mound. Not to mention slamming his helmet down every once in a while. Ive even seen him jaw off to the umps (OH MY! :eek: ) from time-to-time too. Didn't he get ejected last year?

So showing THAT kind of emotion is just fine and dandy (when you are pissed off at yourself or someone else), but showing positive excitement and emotion is just plain Astro taboo???

What a puss.

#53 Drewdog, Dec 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So true.

And frankly, I always hated that marketing slogan.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Next years slogan: "Return of the Assholes!" :eek: :D

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Houston Astros Baseball: We Will Fornicate With Your Wives and Daughters!

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If Valverde did that more than the typical closer (load the bases), it would be reflected in his WHIP. It's not, so your case seems quite invalid. The act of "he's not on our team anymore so he sucks and we really don't need him!!!" is really transparent.

Also, you didn't get a Cy Young caliber pitcher for Valverde.

18. right1

right1 Member

It doesn't. I'm just excited to have Bourn, Matsui, Tejada and Valverde on the Astros. Houston is, after all, a diverse city with a large Asian, Hispanic and African-American population. I think it's great. Hopefully the Astros will win the pennant. It all starts with a winning attitude. I welcome the "Igniter" back to H-town, as well as Kaz, Miggy and Papa Grande, too.

19. right1

right1 Member

Fistpumping is just part of the game.

signed,

Kirk Gibson

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

prolly in a bed of cash where he does the snow angel on