1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman ...come on ,man...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by pocketrocket81, Feb 15, 2013.

1. pocketrocket81

Berkman has always been one of my favorite ball players. But to say he forgot his glove because he isn't use to changing teams? The Rangers will be his third team since he left the Astros. Come on man ...ha

2. pocketrocket81

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea this is the same guy who blasted the commish for moving the Astros to the AL, then signed with an AL team in our own division. Dude could really swing it back in the day, but from getting fat and lazy at the end of his time here in Houston to all of his comments, sadly he is turning into a clown

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Berkman is awesome. One of the best guys in baseball. The whole forgot my glove thing is most likely a joke about being a DH this year.

Dude has always been a clown, but in a good way. You ever heard the story of him being mocked and called fat by Cubs fans at Wrigley? He ended up motioning for them to throw him a Twinkie between innings. They did, and he ate it. Classic. Probably my favorite Berkman story.

And as far as dissing him for going to the Rangers, I don't blame him. First, the Astros didn't want him, for some stupid reason. Second, he is from Waco (IIRC), and probably prefers to stay close to home late in his career. Not his fault we didn't want him. Plus the Rangers will be the better team for the rest of his career.

Still count the guy as one of my favorite players ever. Maybe he could have been more than he was, but he's a throwback player. That's so rare nowadays.

1 person likes this.
  6. carlosc

carlosc Member

What? A throwback? A throwback to what? He's an idiot and a clown, and he got paid far too much by the Astros for what he did. And mainly what he did was irritate the adults on the team.

I can't wait until this goon retires and I don't have to hear about him anymore.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

My favorite Berkman story was when he started mailing it in the last year of his contract. Then he got in great shape so he could get a new contract with the f'n Cardinals and had a fantastic season. Screw him.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He did help lead us to every postseason series win in franchise history. Without knee injuries, he'd be a Hall of Famer.

9. juicystream

You mean when he had knee surgery? When he also played terrible for the Yankees? Dude was hurt.

People don't mail it in the final year of their contract. The extremely lazy mail it in until the last year and start working hard in the final year to get a new deal. He got in better shape to play the OF instead of 1B.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I liked how he mailed in it during the Cardinals World Series win.

11. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You guys who are dogging Berkman either know absolutely nothing about baseball or were not paying attention throughout his career.

12. juicystream

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Actually he is from New Braunfels

14. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

What does one thing have to do with the other?

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

He is from waco

16. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Mclane was the one that didn't want Berkman, if I remember correctly crane actually went after him.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Born in Waco. Grew up in New Braunfels. He dated one of my wife's friends in high school (they went to Judson). She dumped him because he was too focused on baseball. Oops...

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand things didn't end so well between the Astros and Berkman, but I'm more than a little surprised by the level of vitriol towards him in this thread. Dude was a fan favorite for a long time in this city.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Until he got hurt Berkman was a great Astro and loved playing for the Stros. It was the management that got rid of him here not him not wanting to play.

My favorite Berkman memory was his rookie year and watching him hit a grand slam over centerfield of the Metrodome.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The Astros absolutely wanted him; he wanted more money than they were willing to offer. No one's at fault here.