1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LaMelo takes his ball and goes home

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20898447/lavar-ball-homeschooling-lamelo-no-distractions
    He pulls his son out because he can't shoot 50 times a game? That is pretty ridiculous.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I dont think its as bad as it seems. This is just AAU bball, the kid doesn't learn anything from high school competition iirc during high school the no 1 prospect was Austin Rivers and he turned out to be **** in the NBA. High school is only for getting exposure so you get noticed by colleges but Lamelo already has a slot in college so it doesn't matter if he doesn't get any exposure. The whole "50 shots or nothing" is pretty ridiculous but from a very selfish standpoint if all you care about is your son's dev and domt give a F about others you want him getting as many shots as possible. Like I said comp in highschool is garbage so he is not missing out by just training at home.

The only thing Lamelo misses out is a high school education, Lavar probably knows nothing about algebra, history, science, religion etc. and I highly doubt Lamelo will even touch a textbook moving forward. Those stuff are useless but studying them develops your brain and exposes you to other fields apart from bball. Now Lamelo is just locked to bball, he will be too dumb to do anything else. If he turns out to suck then there will be nothing else he knows to do. He wont even be able to manage the baller brand when Lavar dies cuz he'll be too dumb to do anything except play ball. So while this won't hurt him and might even help him in terms of bball his growth will be stunted at everything else.

deadlybulb and Wapzoe like this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

Smart move. I doubt the kid was able to be productive at all in a school environment with all the attention he was getting. This will only benefit him.

5. BackdoorHarden

Good move by dad.

High school is just a big distraction for most kids anyway. It's where we learn to smoke weed, drink booze, and catch STD. At least that's what normal kids do in High School.

Now his kid can just concentrate on basketball without all the stupid high school drama distraction we all had to go through.

God I hated high school. And Vodka. Never drank Vodka again after High school because I had too much

lionaire likes this.
  6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Lavar's gotta make sure little Melo turns into a warped, entitled diva.

He's got a legacy to pass on.

Now it's certain he will go to UCLA.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Well, yeah. The condition for them to get Lonzo was that they'd also have to sign the other two Ball brothers.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A couple of weeks ago on a shoe matter, Lavar said he didn't care if Melo went to UCLA. Now, it's a done deal because of basketball.

Lavar is a fruitcake, but he isn't stupid enough to think Melo can skip both HS and college basketball without impacting his supposed NBA future.

lionaire likes this.
  9. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't really agree. He isn't missing out on that education, he will get that at college. Getting your basics in college is basically high school, it isn't anymore complicated.

GED and College basics makes high school worthless. In fact, that IS the best route to go. Drop out, GED, enroll in college and begin your basics-- grats you literally just saved 2 years of your life you otherwise would have wasted in highschool.. though you do miss out on sports/prom (i still got to experience the prom because a friend asked me to take her)

Doing that was probably the biggest blessing in my life. That extra time really gave me opportunity to try different things. I got a job in fast food (taco bell) at 15, decided I needed to get into something else. I grew up around planes and so figured I'd go into flight school, got bored after my private at 16. Got my GED, Began some basic college classes. Went Military, got out, still very young.... No lie I desperately needed money, I got the bright idea to find a start up business and grow with them. I found one I thought had potential, got an interview, got hired and began work- hard labor.. Business blows up- we even get signed to do a tv show- owner and I grow close, I earned his trust, he has other business ventures and we make an agreement that I'll run the business for 'sweat equity'. I now own 10% of a company. Profits come roaring in so I have 10% and salary. I feel confident in my business and venture out on my own opportunities.. I'm pretty bored in life now. I go BACK to college and finish my basics. I look at the requirements for med school, I figured I'd 'give it a shot' really didn't expect to get accepted and then I got that letter.. I'm a medical student. High school drop out to business owner, Vet, UTHealth Med Grad, and holder of a private pilots license by age 31.

I don't think I'd have found out my true potential stuck in that rotten katy high school

TL/DR (kinda sorta not rly)
    You're stupid to say LaMelo will be stupid and too dumb to do anything besides ball. I was a business owner, I still am- I don't have a business degree, but through experience I have the knowledge of a doctorates in business. Truth is, working with his dad and BBB LaMelo will probably be more fluent in business than new grads with a masters in business. He will also get that 'highschool' education taking the basics in college which isn't anymore difficult.

#9 Realjad, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  10. BackdoorHarden

I took the same route. Dropped out and took the GED as soon as I turned 16 and went to a Community college. I was able to focus without all the high school distraction and transferred to a 4 years college at 18. My friends that stayed in high school and graduated, didn't do as well in life. They basically never grew up.

Realjad likes this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

what you major in?

12. BackdoorHarden

Business Adminstration(Finance concentration) and Economic. Did 2 years of Computer Science, but couldn't handle Assembly. They taught Fortran and Cobal computer language when I was going to school in the 80's. And the Bank I work at now are still hiring Cobal people!

13. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

There are home school teachers, you know...and some people don't need a great education to make themselves a good life.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Change his name....

15. Fantasma Negro

As long as his education is adequately supplemented, I agree with his decision 100%. High schools are full of unnecessary bullshit that can become distractions and mind **** you, so this way he shows up for practice and games with better focus. He already has a goal in life and is committed to UCLA so in this aau era this is the shortest path to his goal. I would be surprised if homeschooling or doing a Euroleague year like Mudiauy become the new trend for basketball athletes

16. MONON

MONON Member

I wouldn't bet the farm on that one! :D Seriously though, does anyone know what Lamelo's grades are in high school?

#16 MONON, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah but Lavar isn't a homeschool teacher, and if you look at Lamelo he said he was excited cuz he didn't have to study anymore.

I know everybody wants to rag on the educational system and it definitely isnt perfect, but the educational system is a product of generations of refinement and improvement. It is the culmination of 1000s of educator's efforts. Compare that to Lavar's circus ass lol we all know Lamelo ain't learning **** except bball.

18. conquistador#11

50 shots a game makes kobe look like pass first guard.

19. chonox

chonox Member

#staywoke

20. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Why do we care tho?