1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lamb vs. Twiggy

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JunkyardDwg, Sep 1, 2007.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I've been hearing a lot of talk lately about Lamb and Ty...how Lamb hasn't been given a fair shake and that Purpura made a foolish trade when he dealt Wheeler since he was getting pretty much a player back that he already had...and that Ty's a mediocre player at best.

So it really got me curious... why such disagreement with the organization over this trade and why such love for Lamb? Yeah he's had a good year at the plate hitting close to .300 but there has to be more to this...so I wanted to take a look at the numbers.

In 2007:
    Lamb: .293AVG .371OBP .451SLG 11HR 38RBI 42R 283AB
    Ty: .272AVG .332OBP .448SLG 19HR 58RBI 61R 464AB

So Ty has had 180 more at bats...has almost twice as many HRs, 20 more RBIs, 20 more runs....a little lower AVG and OBP but their SLG are about even. Looks like Ty would average about 1 RBI per 8 at bats whereas Lamb would average 1 RBI per 7.5...in terms of runs Ty averages a run per 7.6 at bats and Lamb 1 run per 6.7...If Lamb were given the same amount of at bats as Ty has so far he would have just four more RBIs and 8 more runs....this is assuming he would maintain his current pace over 180 more at bats.

Seems like this trend holds in looking at their numbers over the past few years as well...their production is almost about the same if given the same amount of at bats...Lamb will always have the better batting average, but all their other numbers are quite similar.

Looking at fielding over their careers at 3b:
    Lamb posted fielding percentages of .913, .914, .914, .919, .940 and .941 (left out 2005 cause he only played 15 games there)

Ty posted .962, about .939 (split w/ two teams in '04), .894, .940 and .969 (split w/ two teams)

Pretty big difference there.

Then looking at their range factors and zone ratings, looks like Lamb is slightly better in the former and Ty is a little better in the latter.

Looking at all this I'm thinking Lamb might hold a slight edge in offense while Ty holds a slight edge in defense...so the question is if their numbers are comparably similar, would you rather have the player with slightly better defense or slightly better offense...Personally I'd go with defense especially given that Lamb would account for maybe 10 more runs...of course then you could argue that Ty would save maybe 10 more runs than Lamb so it becomes a wash again.

So is Lamb being unfairly treated. I dunno, cause he hasn't really done anything to truly distance himself from others at that position...well save for Ensberg and of course he's gone now...but in the case of Ty vs. Lamb, maybe the organization feels that Twiggy could put up the same numbers as Lamb, relatively, but provide better defense...the numbers do point to that. And I'd rather be more defensively sound than an offensive powerhouse. So I'm fine with letting Lamb go and putting Ty in at 3b.

And looking at Lamb and Loretta...I'm guess it might be pointless to have both next year, especially since Loretta could play all infield positions whereas Lamb can't. So I think it'd be best to bring back Loretta...give Burke a chance now at 2b (which ain't happening) and in Spring Training..if he doesn't show you much then give Loretta the starting nod (he could hold it down for a few more years if need be until a younger guy pops up somewhere) and keep Burke as a utility and defensive replacement. That seems to be the most logical thing...then you have an infield of Ty, Everett, Loretta/Burke, Berkman and an outfield of Lee, Pence, Scott...that's pretty good defense up the middle and average at the corners.

I also wondered about why not putting Lamb at 3b and Ty at 2b but I'm guessing that would cripple you defensively.

And I don't think you can fault Purpura for making that trade too much...I honestly believe there just wasn't that much for Wheels; I doubt teams would be looking at past performances (as they would for Lidge) and he was having a pretty horrid year this year. Course then maybe he shouldn't have made the trade just for the sake of making one, but then perhaps moving one of the younger guys (Albers or Wandy or Nieve or Sampson) to the pen next year would be better then holding on to Wheels. If anything it might have been good to clean out some of those underachievers (like Wheeler and Ensberg)...hopefully the organization will see the light and let Lane and Palmeiro and Borkowski and/or Miller and/or Moehler go too.

#1 JunkyardDwg, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Wiggy is signed through next year. Lamb is horrible defensive player at 1st or 3rd. Wiggy has had a reputation of being bad defensive player but he has made no errors in 25 games a Stro. Wiggy also could play 2nd if you need him. Some dumb team is going pay Lamb around 5 million a year and regret it. He is not an everyday player. He is a DH.

3. JunkyardDwg

That's exactly why I think the organization did the right thing by getting Twiggy, who's better defensively, and letting Lamb go in the offseason and using the money (that would've gone to him) on bolstering the rotation or pen.

4. msn

msn Member

If the point was to get a 3B you knew would be here next year, OK--but why not resign Lamb? If they're really that similar, why give up a superb, consistent reliever just to get a guy who's only a little better defensively?

I get the case that Wigginiton has an edge over Lamb when the entire picture is considered.

But he does *not* have an advantage over Lamb *and* Wheeler.

That's why I'm having a hard time justifying this trade. If Wheeler's due a raise, why is that an issue? It's not like they're going to be paying Ensberg or Biggio next year.

5. Major

Major Member

Be careful in this analysis - over the last two years, Lamb has had a better AVG, SLG, OBP, and OPS than Wigginton. The RBI/Runs pace is fairly similar, but consider that Wiggy batted cleanup in Tampa Bay - basically, he's in the premier RBI spot, as oppose to Lamb, who bats anywhere from 2nd to 6th. Lamb is also a lefty hitter, which adds some balance to the lineup, though that's not as important if Scott is going to be the RF of the future.

They are both considered subpar defensively. What I don't understand is why not just make Wiggy your 2nd baseman? Wiggy is an average offensive 3B, but he'd be well above average at 2B. If he's able to play there competently, you'd have a 20+ HR hitter at 2B. That's more than you're likely to get out of Burke, and Burke probably has some trade value to fill another hole or replenish the farm a bit.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Do the stats back this up? To the casual observer, Lamb has looked damn good defensively at 1st when he has played there. His defense at 3rd has improved from godawful to just bad, but he has looked good at first.

7. MaxwellsTemper

Nice post JunkyardDwg.

Here's my .02 on the situation. I think that over the course of the season, both Lamb and Wigginton would hit comparably. That's what the stats suggest. The big difference is on defense. Lamb is not an option as an everyday 3B because frankly he is a liability. Wigginton isn't a defensive hoover, but he's adequate. Much more so than Lamb is. Lamb could play 1B, but I think its in the Astros best interests to keep Big Puma at 1B so he doesn't hurt himself in the OF.

8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

RBI & Runs are pretty much the least useful statistics you can use for determining the value of a hitter since they're 90% determined by a player's teammates. Wigginton has posted a .800 or better OPS once in his career, while Lamb has averaged 0.810 in his time with Houston, and that's including a disastrous 2005.

Wigginton is really nowhere near the hitter than Lamb is, and they're both butchers defensively, so it's clear that Lamb is the far superior player. The Astros are basically taking the lazy way out. They're playing an inferior player because they have control of him for another year rather than working to secure a contract extension for Lamb.

9. JunkyardDwg

Yeah I'd imagine there are some other variables to consider when comparing their offensive stats, though I don't think their spot in the lineup would have a considerable impact on the average, slugging and on base percentage...and those were relatively similar with Lamb holding the slight edge.

And playing Ty at 2nd is certainly intriguing...he can't be any worse of a defensive liability than Biggio there, especially when you have Everett to compensate. But then is Lamb, with his defense, an everyday player? Or is Lamb, Everett, Ty and Berkman better/worse than Ty, Everett, Loretta, Berkman? Hell these are questions I'd HOPE the organization is asking themselves. Why be so shortsighted...why does Burke HAVE to be your everyday 2b? Because the organization spent so much time on him? Let's not pull another Lane here.

Agree there...I never liked Berkman going back to RF this season...when Bagwell left he became the everday 1B and that's where he should stay...no sense in risking injury to him just to find a spot for Lamb...if the only place he can hack it as a starter is 1B then he shouldn't be on this team.

On the contray, I think Runs and RBIs are pretty useful...it would tell me that A) he can get on base and into a position to score and B) when given the opportunity he can clear the basepaths...just getting on base certainly isn't enough for a player expected to produce...course Runs and RBIs shouldn't be the sole measure, which is why I included HR, OBP, AVG and OPS.

Also, Ty's career OPS is .774 while Lamb's is .767. Ty has actually had 2.5 seasons where he was above .800 and Lamb has ONLY been above .800 since he's been with the Astros. So Lamb isn't exactly a far superior player or anything...like I said, looking at their numbers...all of them...they're fairly similar with Lamb holding a slight edge.

10. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

My problem with those stats is that Lamb has never gotten consistent playing time. Who knows how much better he might have been defensively if he actually got used to playing in one position on a consistent basis? He's also made his share of sparkling plays this year.

I just don't like that fact that the Astros crowned Twiggy their everyday 3B for the next few years before they've seen what he can do. And believe me, that's not much.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The fact that we are still wondering what the heck the point of this trade was shows that Purpura just didn't know what he was doing.

Reading threads above, and looking at how their hitting is so similar, only logic I can thing of is that Lamb really is that awful defensively.

12. JunkyardDwg

Well his first season he did log 135 games at 3b and committed 33 errors...in his second season with the Mets Ty committed 16 errors in 155 games. So both have gotten extensive time at 3b to show what they can do defensively.

I think 3b did need to be addressed...whether Twiggy is the answer is yet to be determined...but I think Tim was looking at the trade as a chance to address that issue, but I'm also betting he was looking to make a trade in a desperate attempt to show he was trying to do something.

13. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Yeah, that was Lamb's first season. Everyone says he's improved significantly since then, but he's never gotten a chance to show it. It is not uncommon for players to become better fielders with experience. See Aramis Ramirez.

14. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Member

I don't know if it was mentioned... I don't even know if it's true. But a smarter baseball person than me told me that TB has a larger infield than MMP. Which wouldn't shock me at all. But he was telling me that it was more difficult to play 3rd in TB than it would be in MMP. He listed several reasons why it was more difficult to play both 1st and 3rd at TB. If someone here that knows about this can verify that, it would be great.

As far as Lamb vs Ty... To the people who think Lamb never got a fair shot to get the job, I hate to break it to ya... but he had several shots. And I firmly believe that if Ensberg hadn't had that amazing year back when, Lamb would be starting. For 3 seasons they pitted Lamb vs. Ensberg for a battle for the spot and Mo won out. Two arbitration players fighting for a spot in the lineup on a daily basis isn't a bad thing. But that's the past.

Ty vs. Lamb... I don't see the debate really. They are essentially the same, just different ages. I completely understand the business side of baseball in choosing Ty over Lamb. I understand the fan/team chemistry side of choosing Lamb.

But let's face it... it's not nearly the debate of Ensberg vs. Lamb years ago. Heck the fact that they were both so different is probably why they were both on this team for so long.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think they can change the size of the infield.

Unfortunately, as mentioned earlier, they chose Ty over Lamb PLUS Wheeler.

16. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

That's called OB%

That's called SLG% OB% & SLG% are far better indicators than RBI & Runs because RBI require your teammates to be on base and Runs require your teammates to drive you in, so they are very dependent on the players around you.

2.5 seasons? One of them was with only 100 AB, and the second half of the other he posted a 0.647 OPS, so it makes no sense to cherry-pick the good half. You can certainly argue that Wigginton has had a better career than Lamb has, but it's pretty clear IMO that Lamb is a much better player right now.

17. JunkyardDwg

I look to look at all the stats available...not just Runs and RBIs, and not just OPS or AVG...but everything.

Hey you said Ty had only one season of over .800 and I was merely pointing out that fallacy.

Again I don't think, looking at the numbers (both defensive and offensive), that Lamb is a far better player than Ty. Lamb maybe a little better offensively but Ty is a little better defensively. And if you wanna look at right now, as in the last 10 games, well neither have been that impressive at the plate. I just don't think it'll be a major loss if the team lets Lamb go...I would like to see them explore all their options, but you have to wonder in the four seasons he's been with the Astros he hasn't separated himself from any other player at that position. And he's been given plenty of time to do so.

#17 JunkyardDwg, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  18. MaxwellsTemper

Agree 100%.