1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lamar Patterson

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by wfeebs, Jan 25, 2014.

1. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Guys, we need to draft this guy with the Knicks second round pick. He's the perfect guy for our win now team. he does everything well on the offensive end, and as a product of Pitt, he knows how to grind it out defensively.

(disclaimer, I'm a Pitt alumni, so I may be a bit biased).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgfcpLuPR3Q

that link is highlights from the Pitt-Cuse game last weekend, he shot us back into the game and almost won it for us.

In addition, as Patterson was listed as ESPN's 3rd best college player, this is what was said about him:

McDermott was a first-team All-American last season, but who could have possibly foreseen the senior year that Lamar Patterson is having for Pittsburgh? Patterson wasn't even honorable mention All-Big East in 2012-13.

Jamie Dixon's star should poll a little stronger than that in the ACC this season. In fact it's conceivable that by the end of the season Patterson may rise to the top of this list as my national player of the year. His start has been that strong, as he has been both a 6-5 scoring wing and, in effect, a second point guard on the floor alongside James Robinson. We've seen point forwards before, but I can't recall another player who combined assists and scoring at the wing in quite the way that Patterson is doing it.

Finally, this is what Grantland wrote about him when talking about Pitt:

I know that Pitt’s best win this season was a close loss at Syracuse, I know the Panthers scored 43 points in a game against Cincinnati in December, and I know that on a neutral court Oklahoma State would probably beat them eight out of 10 times. But Pitt is getting the Cowboys’ spot in the most powerful power rankings in college basketball this week. Why? Two reasons: (1) Marcus Smart’s flopping has reached critical mass and this is my way of protesting his shenanigans, and (2) I can’t go another week without writing about Lamar Patterson’s jumper.

Let me be up front: I would make sweet, sweet love to Patterson’s jump shot. Patterson is a fifth-year senior who has been a solid 3-point shooter his entire career, so I’m not sure why I haven’t noticed his jumper’s flawlessness until this season. But now that I have, it’s like the clouds parted and angels started singing Enya songs. Actually, as someone who prides himself on his rainmaking abilities, watching Patterson shoot a basketball for the first time was more like Patrick Bateman looking at his colleagues’ business cards. Look at that subtle elbow placement. … The tasteful way he squares his shoulders. Oh my god — it even has a perfect off-hand and follow-through.

Ray Allen is the best shooter in the history of basketball and he’s often praised for having perfect shooting form. Well, Lamar Patterson makes Ray Allen look like Shawn Marion or Bill Cartwright. Compared to shooting icons like Larry Bird and Reggie Miller, Allen’s form is a thing of beauty, but he still uses his left thumb to help push the ball and he often puts so much emphasis on a quick release that his shot resembles a catapult. Patterson has an aesthetically perfect jump shot. He squares his body, he keeps his elbow in, he loads his shot just above his right eye, and his left hand remains so obnoxiously still during the follow-through that it’s borderline taunting. Every youth basketball coach in America should show their players slow-mo replays of Patterson’s game, specifically that stretch in the second half against Syracuse when he hit three 3s in a little over a minute.

This post was probably a little long, but what do you guys think?

2. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Check my dude out at 7 tonight on ESPN when he goes head to head with Jabari Parker.

3. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Saw it. He went against Rodney Hood and got shut down all night long. Not impressed.

4. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Yup. Not a good showing I was majorly disappointed.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I watched the game and didn't even notice him until I saw this thread

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Disappointing effort by Pitt and Lamar Patterson in the second half.

Was a pretty weird game. 8 lead changes or so in the first half before Duke completely opened things up in the second half. Truthfully, Pitt was probably the more aggressive team. They were getting looks close to the basket and scoring plenty of points in the paint. Duke was just lights out from 3 pt range.

7. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Duke's offense this year is very similar to Houston's - put a C in there mainly for rebounding and defense, and have 4 guys around the perimeter that can all shoot, dish, and drive. Stay away from the mid-range. However, if they get cold from 3 (ex. Clemson loss), things can get ugly. Last night wasn't 1 of those games.