1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers name Magic Johnson President of Basketball Operations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Feb 21, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss announced today that the team has named Earvin "Magic" Johnson as President of Basketball Operations. In addition, General Manager Mitch Kupchak has been relieved of his duties, effective immediately. Furthermore, Jim Buss will no longer hold his role as Lakers Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations.

"Today I took a series of actions I believe will return the Lakers to the heights Dr. Jerry Buss demanded and our fans rightly expect," Jeanie Buss said. "Effective immediately, Earvin Johnson will be in charge of all basketball operations and will report directly to me. Our search for a new General Manager to work with Earvin and Coach Luke Walton is well underway and we hope to announce a new General Manager in short order. Together, Earvin, Luke and our new General Manager will establish the foundation for the next generation of Los Angeles Lakers greatness."

In addition to the changes made within the basketball department, the Lakers also announced they have parted ways with John Black who had been the Lakers Vice President of Public Relations. Chief Operating Officer Tim Harris will immediately begin a search for a replacement. Jeanie Buss added, "We thank John for his many years of service."

Yung-T likes this.
  2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Dayum, during trade deadline week?

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

This could be MJ owning the Hornets bad

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I could see Magic overpaying for Carmelo.

5. larsv8

Why teams think players would make good front office decisions is beyond me.

No offense to Magic, but the guy seems like kind of an idiot.

Brown Lost It likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'll reserve judgement. I'll say that firing Cupcheck was a good move for them right off the bat. Let's see who he names GM.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Magic is a smart guy, but he is a people pleaser and seems like the guy who makes the obvious decision. I may be wrong, but I would bet he's going to want to flip young talent for established players quickly.

I agree though -- why are these guys hired? Look at Vlade in Sacramento. Total disaster. You need to know cap, draft and young talent, be skilled at negotiating deals and knowing the market and you need a long-term vision. I think you're much better off hiring a Morey or Hinkie in today's NBA than you are a former superstar that is loved by the fans.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

A large part of running a nba franchise is just luck. Is Ryan Griffin a good gm? Bob Myers didn't draft curry or Klay. If magic can go hire back Jerry west I think he will be a great hire.

11. larsv8

I may be stereotyping, but I can see it now.

He will assemble a bunch of names, like old washed up guys, that may look great on paper, or who were actually good 5 years ago and then wonder why none of this worked out.

I bet he is little to no concept of advanced statistics or the CBA at all.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

One less smart GM for Morey to deal with. Sounds like great news.

Raz likes this.
  13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Charles Barkley faints again seeing all these guys get big jobs while he has been chasing a GM/president job for years

14. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Don't Jim and Jeannie co-own the team? I'm curious about the mechanics of what happened. Or am I mistaken here?

15. Raz

Raz Member

Two days before the deadline. Wow, are there only idiots running NBA teams?

Little quality check for Magic's talent evaluation:

EDIT:
    One more...

#15 Raz, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He actually has a good eye on talents in my opinion, remember him being very high on guys like Draymond Green back when they were in college.
    Also doubt he'll overpay for big names, this move could be a good development for the Lakers.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

of course he'd be into Draymond. Magic is a Michigan State alumni.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We'll see, but everyone is wrong on talents from time to time and I'm sure you will find similar statements from every scout.

As I said, remember him calling Draymond Green the best player in NCAA a year before being drafted, so he's definitely been spot-on in the past regarding certain players.

19. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

I wonder how much of this firing and hiring is related to Lakers possibly losing out on DeMarcus Cousins

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They're going to hire a GM still, so we'll need to act fast if we want to take advantage.

Here's to hoping they don't try to poach Morey!