1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers have the best odds of landing Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Oct 27, 2011.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

http://sheridanhoops.com/2011/10/27/bernucca-column-where-dwight-might-alight/

2. Raven

Raven Member

And this is why the NBA needs a franchise tag, it's no longer just about money. NBA stars also want glamor and fame, and only a few teams can offer that. And it's funny how the article implies that Orlando actually has a choice in where Howard goes. Please, they will trade him to his preferred destination or he won't re-sign. This gives him all the leverage, so the list is a very short one, LA, Chicago, or NY. Of the three, I'd say the Lakers are the most likely, followed by the Bulls.

3. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

What Lakers homer wrote this article? That Lakers deal is probably the worst one on there. An overpaid big man with shoddy knees and two terrible picks? Lulz.

No way will the Magic trade D12 to the Lakers after what happened with Shaq.

4. VBG

VBG Member

Lol Bynum and the 32nd pick in two drafts for Dwight.

At the minimum it would be Odom + Bynum for Dwight with the Lakers taking Arenas/Hedo

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Dunno if Magic want Odom, but if thats the price to unload a massive contract maybe they do it.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, what an awful article...

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Go back to Lakersground already, will you?

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

If Howard goes to LA, I will lose all my respect for him.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And if the owners don't get one, doesn't that mean they caved in the negotiations.

and doesn't that mean the small market owners caved to the big market ones to cut a deal with the union.

go ahead, Raven, spin your own words. Have at it.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

What do the Howard and Gasol trades have in common?

Oh right, David Stern was commissioner for both.

Screw David Stern.

11. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I really don't get it, people say memphis gave away gasol...he was in his prime, they were rebuilding, he was getting paid 17 million a year, they dumped him for salary cap money and a potential young star center in marc gasol. They rebuilt, got zach randolph and now marc gasol is flourishing. That trade worked out exactly how they wanted it to.

And it worked well for the lakers, both teams got their objective goals.

If stern helps orchestrates these trades, why is he hte one fighting for more competitive balance for the rest of the league?...

As far as that trade goes, if chicago can pull of dwhoward and redick for deng and noah...wow for the bulls

but if I am magic I take either bynum(once again young star center for them) or horford, teague, marwin williams deal. Or lastly the Brook lopez deal

12. TISNF

TISNF Member

If Howard goes to LA [Clippers], I will give all my respect to him.

13. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I've lost respect for him either way. His management have made mistakes, but they show they will do whatever and spend watever to keep him competitive. Just the fact that they are trying(speding 14 million for JJ redick a year with lux tax), bringing in more money so on. They hacent put the right supporting cast, but you can bet they will keep on gunning which hsows they are committed to winning. Can't be said about a lot of owners especially not from a big market.

And he wants to be screamed at less? Wow, these guys just want yes men and it seems this entire gneration of players(lebron, wade) just want the same thing. So my respect for howard is already gone. Thankfully we had hakeem who does his job, remains committed to the franchise, fans, city, and keeps putting it on his shoulders and not wining about i dont know what more i can do, send me to La

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

True, that would be a great move imo with Blake Griffin alongside of him, watch out! That way also, maybe Houston has a shot at Deandre Jordan ;)

Sorry but that is an ignorant post, Olajuwon wasn't committed to the Rockets until they did what he wanted which in the end turned out to be the best for the Rockets franchise and team as well. Nonetheless, Olajuwon was no saint and it wasn't for the Dream, the Rockets would've had a real shot at getting Rodman. That would've been a great player to have, but no, mr. righteous didn't want it so that's it. Trust me, every big player has ego issues and so did Hakeem.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

So free agents shouldn't be able to say they want to play in other places for reasons other than money?

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I hope the idea of a franchise tag is being discussed in these meetings. If not, the stars are going to ruin the league. We'll have 5 or 6 "Super Teams" and twenty-something absolutely awful teams.

17. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I do not feel any blame for Howard for wanting to get away from Orlando. Have you looked at that team?

Hopefully Orlando can dump a bad contract when they trade Dwight, because he should bolt this summer and they would end up with nothing otherwise.

18. stmeph

stmeph Member

It's no longer about the money because it can't be about the money. When every team is willing to pay you the same amount -- a max contract, capped by the CBA -- you start looking at other things to differentiate between teams like the likelihood of winning or market size/opportunities.

It's true that Orlando is willing to spend, but there's a huge difference between throwing away money and using it wisely. Just because the Magic have been willing to spend and have NOT been successful is a good reflection of the reality that high payrolls do not guarantee more wins.

They haven't put together the right supporting cast because Otis Smith has made several bad decisions and signed / traded for bad contracts within a very short period of time.

Howard needs to leave Orlando.

19. Prince

Prince Member

Bynum and 2 first rounders ( essentially 2 rounders cuz LA will not be a lottery team).

what a joke.

20. SPF35

SPF35 Member

I am not saying hakeem is perfect or am referring to ego issues. Look at the difference, Dwight and lebron are leaving for different markets, different exposure, and because they felt they did all they could as the head honcho and couldn't carry it. They want to tplay with other stars, they want to lighten their load, they don't want to be the head alpha.
    this is different from your example with hakeem who may not respect rodman, but rodman wasn't going to be another star as it is. Hakeem wanted to be the leader, accepted fault and wins as a leader, and took his team being the only star to two titles.

I am referring to that mentality which seems to be dying down or in many cases at least